Allergies Causing a Tinnitus Spike?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Scott T, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Scott T
      Alone

Scott T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax removal?
      Hi.

I live in the northeast and I’ve been in a spike for almost 3 weeks now.

I know the pollen is high. But the ringing is in my good ear as well. I had to take some Augmentin a few weeks back for pneumonia but since it is 87% amoxicillin all the resources pointed to it being safe.

I’m just struggling like everyone else and wonder if my allergies are causing this flare up/spike.

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Scott T,
      Allergies can cause tinnitus and spike tinnitus due to the extra mucus in our tubes .
      Antihistamines and nasal sprays can help some people.
      love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    3. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @Scott T,

Have you thought about whether you're getting enough iodine to possibly counteract some of the allergens you're dealing with? Below is a little "food for thought" about iodine and allergies, in case you'd want to consider this. I myself take about 12 mg of iodine/day, and have felt better since doing so. -- Good luck finding a solution for yourself!

Iodine and Apoptosis: Iodine is needed by every cell in the body, but tends to concentrate in areas where there is frequent cell regeneration (which involves apoptosis). This includes nasal passages and mucus cells of the stomach lining, where cell regeneration takes place every 2-3 days. If there is insufficient iodine in the body to perform this critical function, dysfunction occurs.

Iodine and Autoimmunity: Here's a couple of quotes from the book, "Breast Cancer and Iodine", by David M. Derry, MD, PhD. -- "Iodine can coat incoming allergic proteins to make them non-allergic...". "Iodine binds softly to the double and triple bond of lipids to protect these bonds while they are being transported to synaptic sites in the brain and blood vessels of the body". -- The author believes this is why iodine deficiency likely has major implications for all sorts of auto-immune conditions.

Iodine and Immunity: The above references to adequate concentrations of iodine in the nasal passages and stomach can have some pretty significant implications for our overall immunity. I read one testimonial online of a man who experienced exasperating, ongoing sinus infections for years, being unable to shake them. When he started iodine supplementation, his sinus infections cleared up within days.​

• Genius Genius x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. cspc
      Studious

cspc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
      • Like Like x 1
    5. cspc
      Studious

cspc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      How do you know your iodine daily dose?

6. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @cspc,

First of all, thanks for rating my above post as "genius". It's been a long time since anybody has referred to me as genius--in fact, NEVER. lol

Regarding dosage, since I'm sensitive to most things, including supplements, I started out slowly at 1 mg. That's more than the 600 mcg MDR, but from all the literature I'd read (which was a LOT), that 600 mcg is ridiculously low. UNLESS, you're one of the very few people who apparently can actually be allergic to it--or at the least, extremely sensitive. But I did fine at 1 mg. I then increased it by a mg a day until I got up to 12 mg, which is what a number of leading iodine researchers have been recommending.

At 12 mg/day, most people can get their iodine levels back to optimum within 6-12 months (estimates are that as much as 90% of the population is deficient in iodine). -- Also, many people who are battling cancer often times take as much as 50-100 mg/day, until the cancer starts to recede. Some women with ovarian cancer (over 90% mortality rate) have taken as much as 200-300 mg/day. So 12 mg/day feels quite conservative to me.

One thing to be aware of is that a group of toxic materials called halides (flourines, chlorines, bromines, etc,) that are ubiquitous in our environment have settled into most people's bodies at the iodine cell receptor sites. When these halides are in turn displaced from those receptor sites by adequate iodine intake, it can lead to detoxification symptoms. So anything you can do to assist detoxification is ideal. I myself supplement with 5 grams of sodium ascorbate powder daily, regularly do epsom salts baths, drink milk thistle seed tea, and a number of other things to keep my detoxification at as high a level as I can. -- Below is link a thread I recently started here on TT.

7. cspc
      Studious

cspc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thank you for answering with detail. I learned about these toxins yesterday. I noticed that I feel better when drinking at least 500mg vitamin C. Also noticed that when eating a baked good, the next day my ears ring more and do not hear so well. I suspect that I've been having ototoxicity effects since March. I changed toothpastes at the time because of gingivitis. I was told to use them 3 x daily and 1 x mouthwash. Both had propylene glycol. I've been using a deodorant which doesn't have parabens but has propylene glycol also. I'm discontinuing them but from what I've read the ototoxicity from propylene glycol is irreversible.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Scott T
      Alone

Scott T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax removal?
      I don’t even know if it allergies at this point. My T just goes from baseline to high pitched evey 5 min or so. I want to put my head through a wall. Like most folks here I am out of my mind right now like a lot of people here. This bounces from left to right. Back to right and loud