Altered Taste in Mouth After a Noise Trauma?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Vicki14, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Vicki14
      Panicky

Vicki14 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Hello everyone,

I've had tinnitus and hyperacusis for 5 years now and recently became aware of smells like perfumes and deodorants irritating my tongue and a few weeks ago I endured a noise trauma to my left ear (caught in the cross fire of shouting). I’ve since noticed a real salty taste on my tongue and bitterness in my mouth which is constantly there :(. I’m suspecting that this has been nerve damage caused by the shouting.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, has it subsided?

Appreciate your time taken to comment, thank you xx

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Noise trauma has no effect on taste buds, believe me I've heard it all in 10 years of suffering but this is not one of them. It's probably just a coincidence and you have a different issue with sensitivity to chemicals. Try to figure out if there is any new shampoo or toothpaste or anything household chemical that you're using different lately. Even breathing in some fumes like VOC's or weed killer...

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. Rod McDonald

Rod McDonald Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/6/2012
      Recently I had a spike in Tinnitus. When I wake up my mouth feels a bit weird. I'm taking melatonin, that's it.

• Like Like x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vicki14
      Panicky

Vicki14 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      thank you @dan for your reply! I was reading that there is a facial nerve called the Chordia Tympani which is originates from the taste buds at the front on the tounge. The tip of my tounge is where I taste this awful bitter taste and seems coincidental with the noise exposure. I’m so hoping your right Dan, as I could not cope with this on top of tinnitus too... xx

5. Diesel

Diesel Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1-2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      20+ Years of Live Music, Motorcycles, and Power Tools
      I have experienced something along these lines too; and only noticed it after I started experiencing hyperacusis. On occasion I'll, I'll experience a "headache" sensation that is localized behind my right ear (the ear with hyperacusis) that tends to respond to high-pitched sound irritation. Almost always when I experience this right-sided headache, the right side of my tongue gets a numb/metallic taste to it. As soon as the headache subsides, so does the tongue issue.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    6. lightning
      Amused

lightning Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe tinnitus since Dec 30 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      Change in taste and smell is a common symptom of COVID. That's more likely than it being related to your noise trauma.