Alternating Low-Frequency Tones in My Left Ear — Is This Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by gfturner, Jan 23, 2017.

1. gfturner

gfturner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I've been googling this for a while now and can't find any answers.

For about 3 weeks I've been experiencing alternating low-frequency tones in my left ear. It's pretty quiet, I can only hear it in a quiet room, especially when I'm trying to sleep. It's always the same two tones, 5 steps apart. They alternate every few seconds, high, then low, then high, but not in any discernible rhythm or pattern. The tones are constant-- never any breaks between tones, but the tones themselves alternate high and low.

This doesn't sound like any description of tinnitus that I've read, but I really don't know. Anyone know if this is tinnitus?

2. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      It's tinnitus. You're lucky that you can only here it when it's quiet.

3. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Yes it's (very mild) tinnitus. If your diet is high in sodium you may want to keep it in check. Also do a hearing test and get checked by an ENT.

4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Sounds like a kind of pulsating one to me giving out two sounds.
      Have you seen your doctor about it or had ear checked for wax or infection or hearing loss ?...lots of love glynis

5. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      Tinnitus is a perception of sound such as hissing, constant tone or buzzing when there is none.

So yes, you have tinnitus. Please go see your doctor to exclude any potential treatable cause.

Don't worry, you seem to have a very mild tinnitus and hence you should be able to cope with it easily :)

Take care

6. SDroses

SDroses Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Gfturner, I have the same thing! I have what started as a low humming that changes to a sound like a lawnmower and then sometimes like multiple car alarms or someone playing random notes on an organ. I haven't read nearly anything about tones like these, it seems like most people have a steady higher pitch. Have you found any clues to what is causing it? I was diagnosed with eustacian tube dysfunction and possible labyrinthitis/ Ménière's.

7. Jkph75

Jkph75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/27/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I have all of those same sounds too. I find the lawnmower to be the most infuriating.

8. SDroses

SDroses Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Jkph75, tell me more, what's your story? I haven't been able to find many people with the crazy sounds I've been hearing.

The lawnmower sucks, but it's the car alarm sound that is a true "attack" for me - it won't go away for 8-12 hours and not unless I skeep, comes with a headache. How long have you had the sounds?

9. katienuff

katienuff Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I see this is an old thread, but I just happened to come across it when I googled the exact same thing, gfturner. Two tones, exactly 5 notes apart. Always the same 2 notes - no pattern, just alternating. I don't have any insight into what has caused this, but one member said to watch sodium intake. Since having to go gluten-free, I've been consuming potato chips by the bagful. Could be a clue...Looking in my ear, my doctor couldn't see any apparent cause. Hope yours is still very quiet - or even better, went away completely!

10. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      yes it is, protect your hearing or check to see if you have TMD so it doesn't get worse as possibly you can correct it.

11. Hayden

Hayden Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Same here, a high and a low frequency alternating without any specific pattern , almost like dial-up internet with an audible modem. usually more pronounced after drinking alcohol , I wonder if it has anything to do with Candida and or EMF. I found an extremely interesting video on YouTube, if you go to the Dana Ashlie Channel, go to her videos and watch, "a solution they DO NOT want you to know" you might find some Beyond interesting information.