Alternatives to Headphones (e.g. for Work)

Discussion in 'Support' started by NeuroNut, Jun 25, 2018.

1. NeuroNut
      Balanced

NeuroNut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear blockage (maybe)
      Dear all,

I am 3 weeks into this nightmare, but still just about coping. Before my tinnitus started, I regularly used over ear Bluetooth headphones at work - nothing particularly loud, just something to distract me from the noise of an open plan office. I mainly listened to the radio, just talk and news and so on.

I don't yet know if my T is noise induced. It certainly didn't come on in response to loud noise, and I don't feel like I have hearing loss or hyperacusis. I'll see an ENT in a few days to investigate further. But regardless, I'm now naturally reticent to put my headphones back on, even at low volume.

In practice though, this is making it difficult for me at work. I'm sort of able to press on, but I'm basically just sitting there all day listening to my tinnitus. I would dearly love to find a way to listen again safely, without putting something in or on my ear, and without disturbing my colleagues. Can anyone suggest a remedy?

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      collar phones could help as sits round your neck like a shirt collar.
      love glynis x

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      NeuroNut
      Balanced

NeuroNut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear blockage (maybe)
      Dear Glynis,

This sounds like exactly what I'm after, but I can't find any concrete products online to buy: can you direct me?

Many thanks,

Tom

4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      20180625_145437.jpg 20180625_145410.jpg

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

kelpiemsp Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      birth/ recent spike 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with ETD, several acoustic traumas, most recently ETD
      There is really quite a divide on here regarding headphone use. Suffice to say, no one has ever been able to point to any evidence beyond anecdotal accounts that headphone use (at a safe volume) is somehow linked to tinnitus. I use on ear (or open can) headphones since they let sound in and out, and play masking music while I work. I am entering my 31st year of tinnitus, and never have I noticed (anecdotal reference here) a spike in my tinnitus with headphone use.

That being said, there are plenty of people who swear that headphone use (at low volume) caused their tinnitus. Obviously, loud headphone use can.

I also bought a desk fan to help mask, I am debating getting one of those zen water fountains since water does an amazing job of masking my tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      NeuroNut
      Balanced

NeuroNut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear blockage (maybe)
      @kelpiemsp : Yes, I read those threads last week, while lurking. I suppose I'm just looking for a way to have my cake and eat it - not taking the risk, however small, but still getting some relief in the form of distraction. Within reason, I'm prepared to pay a lot of money for a solution. Since my tinnitus is still new I'm hoping it will fade, but even if it does I suspect I'll worry about headphones on the long term.

@glynis: One of those two examples is a product in development, so not for sale. And the other only appears to be available in the USA. Not necessarily a show stopper, I will investigate. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      NeuroNut
      Balanced

NeuroNut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear blockage (maybe)
      Hmm: I can see it's not going to work. Those Bose things aren't going to cut, I suspect. Headphones are really a must in a shared office - that or nothing at all. I'm going to tough it out until I've seen an ENT, and then maybe tough it out some more while I wait and hope that my tinnitus will fade, then maybe work more from home where I can listen to a simple radio, and then maybe go the other way if I have to live with this indefinitely.

Thanks though!

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      @NeuroNut
      Could you use external speakers at a very low volume so that the sound doesn't disturb the others in the office? Perhaps you could explain your situation to your nearest neighbors and ask if they mind.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      NeuroNut
      Balanced

NeuroNut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear blockage (maybe)
      @SugarMagnolia ,

Probably not, unfortunately. And having my own office isn't possible, either.