Am I Developing Hyperacusis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by orbiter12, Apr 7, 2017.

1. orbiter12

orbiter12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud club
      Today at work the firm alarm went off and I forget my earplugs so had to wait in the train station (extremely busy train station) with screeching trains and loud announcement speakers.

I've got home and both my ears hurt and certain sounds give me a piercing pain that's getting worse.

I can watch the tv without it hurting but the sound of the clock ticking and dropping my keys on the table seems to hurt. Is my t going to get worse because of this incident? Can I do anything?

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Your tinnitus shouldn't get worse @orbiter12. Although your tinnitus has reduced your auditory system is still sensitive to sound due to the noise trauma at the club. In time your auditory system should desensitize. Please read my post: Hyperacusis, As I see it. You can access it in my "started threads" Now do you see why I advised you not to use headphones?
      All the best
      Michael

• Like Like x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      orbiter12

orbiter12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud club
      @Michael Leigh since my last post my tinnitus has actually gotten worse, if not worse than it was before. Trying not to focus on it too much as it doesn't seem to bother me at work although it is becoming more invasive -just as I thought it was going as well!

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I am sorry to hear that @orbiter12 Tinnitus can fluctuate a lot especially in the early stages as you are in. Just when you think you've turned a corner and it's plain sailing ahead, everything changes and it feels like you're back at square one. Are you using sound enrichment at night as I suggested? It is important to do so as it will help to desensitize your auditory system. Your sensitivity to sound is hyperacusis in my opinion, and often accompanies tinnitus when one has suffered loud noise trauma as you have done. Try not to worry and I advise not to make a habit of using earplugs. They can make matters worse. More is explained in my post Hyperacusis, As I see it.

Michael

5. DARREN R
      Fine

DARREN R Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from loud music
      I find the MyNoise app pretty useful for calming my tinnitus down a bit.
      https://mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/rainNoiseGenerator.php
      If I listen to the rain sound for a few hours my T reduces quite a lot. It helps me get to sleep also. Maybe give it a try. I hope it helps. Best of luck.

6. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Hi Ryan

What do you work as?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      orbiter12

orbiter12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud club
      Just an office job civil engineering technician

8. Casper

Casper Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music at concert
      Hi @orbiter12,

In my case, H only started two or three weeks after my noise exposure. At the same time I started experiencing ear pain and fullness. My sensitivity to sound has improved over the course of the last three months, but unfortunately I still have T and some hearing distortion (mainly from low-frequency noises like the kettle or car engine). I also still have some ear pain/fullness occasionally. The first few months are a rollercoaster in terms of symptoms, some of my worst days were followed by some of my best days. I think Michael Leigh has given you good advice regarding sound enrichment at night. I have been sleeping with rain noise played from a bluetooth speaker next to my bed as well as an electric fan, and often when I wake up in the morning I don't hear my T until I've been awake for a few minutes.

It's still early for you, I'm really hoping things will get better for you.

9. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I would recommend rest, white noise at a comfortable level, and some soothing CD to play at night, to have sound around while sleeping. See if it helps a bit after a couple of weeks.