Am I Obsessing Too Much?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jason37, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Jason37

Jason37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      Tinnitus Talk has given me a lot of hope and support. But I have been on here constantly when I'm not busy with my kids. Sometimes I get very anxious about the future though reading everything... I go from hopeful to depression some days.

2. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Learn from my mistakes. Stop reading about it and get on with your life. In time you will adjust and it will become less of a problem or no problem at all. Turning it into an obsession is the worst thing I did.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I did that and carried on for months. On the one hand it helps, on the other it fuels the obsession onto tinnitus.

To be fair now, I don't really ask for support and give a little when I can, I'm more interested in the research and have come fascinated by it. It gives me hope but I'm not counting down the days checking everything out every single second.

4. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I agree with @Ed209.

Beyond a certain point, most people should just stop reading about it. Some people with extremely mild tinnitus probably shouldn't even start to read about it beyond the basics.. and opening the ugly "what ifs". It's a vicious circle if you keep reading about it; people's problems and opinions repeat ad infinitum. It's the nature of tinnitus.

That has the potential of just feeding into your anxiety and obsessive patterns.

Most people stop visiting forums of their own accord, but there are the subset of people who get obsessed and find it very hard to move on.

You know how to be safe around loud noise, you know that most tinnitus spikes resolve, you know to check out the ototoxicity profile of new medications you are prescribed, you know that you have no ultimate control over your tinnitus, you know you have to let go of that fear of it becoming worse or it will eat you alive - we could die any day either way, so overly worrying about the future isn't helpful for anyone's psyche.

Actually, over the years, several members, who have found themselves to be too obsessed about reading the forum, have asked us to ban them. Afterwards, we have received feedback from a few, whom all said it was tremendously helpful when we agreed to their request banning them.

Incidentally, all of this (the combined elements of member attrition) makes mine, @Steve and the rest of our small group of volunteers' work that much harder; it's really difficult to find people who are committed in the long-term to helping the cause via various ways. Thankfully there are some exceptions to this rule, people like the fabulous @Karen, @glynis and @billie48 (among others I didn't list!) keep on providing support and raising awareness even while dealing with their own problems in life.

Tinnitus as a topic isn't exactly one that most like to spend their leisure time on.

What is most important though is that everyone does what they feel is best for their own well-being.

And if you ever decide you (or anybody else) want to try the route of being banned either temporarily or indefinitely, send me a PM.

• Like Like x 4
      • Winner Winner x 2
    5. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Like @Markku says, some of us decide to stay behind to help others even though our T is no longer an issue in our life. Most will move on as T is not a pleasant subject to deal with everyday nor we need to be reminded of our T. But each person will have to decide what is important in their life and I personally feel that helping others to lift them out of their suffering is a higher calling in life. As far as the negative side of T, those of you who can't take all the negative posts can focus on the positives on this forum, such as the success stories. There you will find hope and comfort witnessing the triumph over the tyranny of T. My 2 cents.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    6. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Personally, my recovery from tinnitus (the feelings it gave me - the sounds has always been the same) came from

- Time. You don't get over something In a day, as time passes you do intially get better from the negative feelings and accept tinnitus as part of life.
      - Hope. That's not saying I visit research on tinnitus every single day, although occasionally, that there are millions of us worldwide and that will only drive the development of better treatments along the line inevitably, hopefully soon - if not then I would rather "not know".
      -Behaviour. Your mood influences your behaviour and vice Versa. Depressed because of tinnitus? Keep doing things u enjoy no matter how hard, as that is key in recovering from depression. As time goes by, tinnitus becomes less of an issue.

• Agree Agree x 3
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jason37

Jason37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      Thanks, and you are right. The obsession of fearing that it will get worse is eating me alive as I type this. That and self hatred for letting this occur are really starting to take its toll on myself and my family. Everyday is a "what if " scenario and T takes up 98 percent of my thoughts.

8. sjtinguy

sjtinguy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      Great reminders here.. I hope someday to ask to be banned as well! ;)

• Like Like x 1
    9. sjtinguy

sjtinguy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      You gotta let it go.. you can't change what has happened, you can only move forward. I know that's really hard, but repeating the event in your mind will never change anything. Just focus on getting better. Focus on your family. Don't focus on the past and don't focus on your tinnitus

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      I agree with most of the above posts about moving forward, and not obsessing about our tinnitus. When mine first started, I know that I did a lot of research about it, and began obsessing about finding a cure. However, over time, I learned that the best "cure" is to learn to accept our tinnitus, calm down, and begin living our lives as normally as possible.

For me, keeping busy, keeping myself healthy, and learning to focus outward have been the best ways of coping. I can now truly say that, while my tinnitus and pulsatile tinnitus are still there, I don't let them get to me any more. I am living my life normally again, and actually find I am enjoying life now!

I am one of the members who is still here, because I want to help and support others who have this condition.

As @sjtinguy says, don't focus on the past, because you cannot change it. Move forward into the new year with a positive attitude, and don't let tinnitus rule your life!!

Best wishes for a happy new year,
      Karen

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    11. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi everyone ,
      Im here as a part of the TT and TH team to help support members needing help through the difficult times tinnitus can bring.
      Love glynis x

• Like Like x 3
    12. Nanny chocolate

Nanny chocolate Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unbelievable caused by audiologist!
      I’ve had T for 20 years, audiology induced. Hospitalised for oxygen treatment to no avail. Now suffering clinical depression(long story of stress this year) and Zoloft has produced T in the quiet ear. Despair doesn’t cover it, can’t stop Zoloft as severe withdrawal symptoms but afraid of what damage it might do. So very frightening.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jason37

Jason37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot
      Wake up I think about T, go out I think about it, at church thinking about T, playing with kids think about T, go to sleep think about it....occupies 98 percent of my thoughts....I think I have a big problem besides it. I've never be so obsessed.

14. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Welcome to the club. I was swallowed whole by tinnitus; it just completely consumed me. But, it doesn’t have to be this way. Give yourself more time and try to minimise the time you spend thinking about it each day. Do other things to distract yourself, and over time you will slowly emerge from its shadow.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Reading too much into anything, is not always a good thing. This forum can be a blessing at times and it can also possibly make newcomers nervous. If you feel that this forum is not helping you out, then take a break from it.

• Agree Agree x 1