Am I Taking Too Many Supplements?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Matt9, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Matt9

Matt9 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello guys

These weeks I'm experiencing an awful spike.
      Not sure what caused it, in the past three weeks I got exposed to:

-A cold
      -Loud music at a wedding 3 weeks ago
      -Night club, even wearing foam earplugs it was LOUD 2 weeks ago
      -Loud ear wax suctions 2 weeks ago
      -Medrol intake (sometimes it spikes my tinnitus)
      - Since I'm OCD and hypochondriac, a lot of anxiety
      - Tons of SUPPLEMENTS

Since I panic easily I'm currently taking:

- 1200/2400 mg of NAC a day

- 3 tabs of Magnesium a day (230% VNR)

- Niacine (250% VNR)

- Antioxidant supplement tabs (2 a day) with:

Arginine-L
      Cysteine-L
      Alpha-lipoic acid
      Vitamin E
      Vitamin B5
      Vitamin B3
      Vitamin B6
      Vitamin B1
      Vitamin A
      Folic acid
      Vitamin D3
      Vitamin B12
      Magnesium
      Green tea
      EGCG
      Resveratrol

- Nasonex spray

Not only didn't my spike subside and my tinnitus became ultra high pitched, but I also experienced new tones, dizziness and fatigue and I really can't figure out why.

Do you guys think that taking all these supplements could be worsening the situation?
      And how can I know that this spike is not permanent?

2. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma

Well, the fact that the spike began three weeks ago and you were exposed to loud music at a wedding also three weeks ago might be more than just a coincidence. Having a cold and exposure to loud music at the night club might have exacerbated the spike. Foam ear plugs never worked well for me.

Can you specifically recall if the spike began before the wedding or after? If it occurred the same day or a day or so after you were expose to loud music at the wedding, then I would suspect that as the cause of your spike.

As far as supplements go, I did recently get a prolonged spike from Nature Made magnesium citrate. So did another forum member. After stopping it, the spike subsided. What type and brand of magnesium are you taking and how much?

3. NimQ
      Alienated

NimQ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2011, got worse 09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I'm no expert, so this is how I see it. I think your NAC dosage is too high, I personally would keep it at 1200 mg. This is partly because it is a stomach irritant, but also as I don't know the long-term effects of a super dose.

Another thing that catches my eye is the high dose of niacin. Here is an article about whether it's safe to take it as a supplement.
      I've tried to find my vitamin B complex without it, because of these findings.

In order to allow your spike subside, you need to calm down your nervous system. I know it's hard, I'm in trouble as well with it atm. One major thing is not to measure or obsess your T. Try to find masking noise that soothes your mind and allows you not to hear your T (there are some good apps like Sleep pillow). Once you get your anxiety in control, you can lower the volume a little below your T sound, but now I think you need a break and distractions. Do you get any help (meds, therapy...) for your anxiety and OCD? If not, I urge you to seek for help, since these are vicious disorders (I should know).

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Matt9

Matt9 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Well I think it started the day after the wedding, I felt like my hearing somehow decreased and eventually my T became louder.
      So about 3 days later I took 16 mg medrol, wich made me feel like crap, with severe flu like symptoms and ear pain. I went to an ENT for an audiogram.
      They said I got a cold and prescribed me medicaton, next days my cold and hearing seems to improve (althoughT didn't improve I guess) until the day I went to the club.
      After that night not only i panicate and went very anxious but my T spiked even more.
      So about 40 hours later I took Medrol again and all that supplements. Once again Medrol worsened My cold symptoms and while taking it I felt like a s**t and my T has reached unbearable level!
      Last days i tapered down medrol and stopped taking steroid (except for Nasonex spray) but My spike hasn't subside yet and I really begin to fear it's permanent!

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Matt9

Matt9 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I took Zoloft for about 3 years but I stopped for its side effect, maybe even my hearing loss and T are due to that drug.
      I know how vicious these disorders could be, in fact OCD and depression ruined my life. I lost my girlfriend and ended up being alone.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Matt9

Matt9 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Magnesium Oxide

7. Onsdag

Onsdag Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, maybe stress
      Change it to magnesium citrate! Oxide doesn't get absorbed well!

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Matt9

Matt9 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for the advice bro, but decided to stop taking Magnesium now, only NAC.

Also, can someone tell me why my ear feels muffled and achy now?

9. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Vitamins can be helpful, but overdoing it isn't all that helpful either. Moderation is key in life and with vitamins....

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Matt9

Matt9 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      These are some very wise words but you know bro, when anxiety kicks in you often act like " maybe this could help, maybe I'll regret if I don't take it"

11. zombiechick
      Probing

zombiechick Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication and hearing loss
      @Matt9 Is there any way you can speak to a nutritioist? I work at a place called Natutal Grocers and we have one on staff that customers can speak to for free. I'm not sure where you're from but he/she could give you some insight on your supplements and how much is too much.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Matt9

Matt9 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yeah I was considering talking with a nutritionist some month ago. I am from Italy (Milan).

But now I just want this spike to end! Things seems to get even worse and a new eeeeee tone added today. I'm scared to death guys :(

13. zombiechick
      Probing

zombiechick Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication and hearing loss
      I'm going through the same thing. My ears have been going nuts for a couple of weeks. But my diet has been crap and anytime I fall back on a decent diet my ears punish me for a while. Remember, it will go back down and you will get a break. It's hard to believe but it will happen. I have to remind myself to stay calm and eat better. Treat myself better. But most of all stat calm.