Ambroxol?

Discussion in 'Support' started by beeeep, Mar 2, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. beeeep

beeeep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      ~2000, but real bad since 06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Since this probably got lost in the "Research News" board due to its nondescript topic:
      Did someone here notice any difference to their T when taking Ambroxol? It's the active ingredient of several cough medicines and seems to have pretty few side effects and is pretty cheap. Actually, it's available without prescription in Germany (and probably everywhere else).
      There is a patent mentioning that it "could" help against tinnitus (which does of course not mean anything).
      And there is "someone on the internet" claiming that he noticed a difference while taking it and probably getting a higher than usual dose (which is of course an even weaker evidence, there's always someone on the internet claiming something...).

However, since there are probably some people here that took it as expectorant during a cough, I wonder if they noticed any difference in their T.

P.S. It's also shown to help the regrowth of CNS axons in mice eye, at least if it's injected straight into their eyes (Yuck!).

For the full thread and information see:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...rk-that-repairs-central-nervous-system.13804/

2. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Where can you buy this? What's the proposed mechanism of action?

3. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      I bought some on eBay, I'll let you know if it does anything in 4-6 weeks :-p

• Like Like x 1
    4. beeeep

beeeep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      The patent states that it can be compared to lidocaine, which seems to be useful (there's a discussion in the treatments section about it) but can cause quite severe side effects, whereas ambroxol seems to be quite harmless.

The proposed mechanism of action is, according to the patent:

5. beeeep

beeeep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Sorry, forgot to answer the other part: Ambroxol is the active ingredient in many cough medicines.
      According to wikipedia some brand names are

6. Twitch

Twitch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I couldn't find anything in the UK with the active ingredient Ambraxol. Can you like which product(s) you found and the one at 2GBP?

7. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      Which one is it?

8. beeeep

beeeep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
    9. beeeep

beeeep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @ruben ruiz : Most of those are books. The Children's cold relief is some homeopathic stuff, and the last one is out of stock and probably nothing a human should use. Sorry...

The only thing I found after quite some web search was
      http://www.internationaldrugmart.com/ambroxol.htm

and I'm not sure if this is legit at all, in any case it's expensive for some drug that might not help at all...

10. attheedgeofscience
      Uninvolved

attheedgeofscience Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Childhood
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Injury
      I have no opinion on the medication, Ambroxol, and its possible curative aspects relating to tinnitus, except that I cannot wait for the first member to say that they have found relief, after which, this thread undoubtedly will take off just like the following one did:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/already-6-hours-tinnitus-free-with-cbd-oil.11281

In relation to CDB oil, I wouldn't be surprised if due to the posts of @Drecul, the members of TinnitusTalk collectively managed to empty or two online stores completely.

The joys of the Internet...

• Agree Agree x 2
    11. RaZaH
      Not amused

RaZaH Member Benefactor Team Tech

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Yeah, bought me some CBD oil , obviously did nothing.

12. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      I got some of this stuff on eBay. Seems trivially easy to source, it's a common OTC drug in large parts of the world.

13. undecided
      Fine

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Yeah, this is about as common as dirt.
      If it did anything for t (or Parkinson's or diarrhea), I'm sure we'd know it by now.