Amitriptyline, Anyone Tried It?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Nick the Swede, Jul 13, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. My new neurologist prescibed me Amitriptyline last week against my jaw pain and tension in it, i have been on Remeron 30mgs since my T onset but i really can´t tell if it does anything for me more than getting me a bit tired in the evenings.

All my jaw problems that i have experienced during the last year have put me in a slight depression for sure. T on top of that makes it hard at times. I am used to solve my problems with a hard workout like running 10kms or more or hard bike rides, but my bad jaw prevents me from that atm (i have tried several times with hard setbacks). Trying mindfulness atm but it takes a lot of time to get grips on.

I don´t like the fact that i have to take anti depressants at all but this could be the time when i need it.
      Any suggestions here? Drop Remeron and try Amitriptyline?

I don´t think Keppra is an option hereo_O.

2. Mark L
      Torn

Mark L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      28/06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure and I swear Citalopram made it worse
      Tried Amitriptaline, it just seemed to make my T spike to be honest and I still awoke several times win panic mode. Although it might work for you.

3. @Mark L, thanks. Loads of meds with that side effect sadly

4. Mark L
      Torn

Mark L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      28/06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure and I swear Citalopram made it worse
      To be honest i am in a very bad place at the moment. Remerol is the only thing that seems to help me sleep to some extent. Still struggling though as the frequency of my T is very high and difficult to mask. I think half of my issue is my response to the T which I have programmed into my self. A difficult cycle to break.

5. Not sure what dosage you've been put on, but generally docs prescribe 10-20mg which will not have AD effects. However, it works well for pain.

I tried it and felt fine, no T spikes. I have a good friend on it for H and neuralgia and it's working well. Remember initial side effects could spike your T but give it time (2 weeks) this happened to my friend and he pushed through it and is much better now.

I switched to flexeril- a cousin to ami. I do pretty well pain wise and also take clonazepam. Sounds like you have bad TMJ. I feel your pain. Running also aggravates mine..

It's worth trying though, absolutely.

:)

6. I know what you mean about that, the first months with T is hell. All my stress from that period that made my jaw collapse due to heavy night time grinding, still paying for that. Response is close to everything but it´s easier said than done, specially during the early days

7. @Street Spirit, thanks. Doc put me on 50mgs/day , guess it´s somewere in between a painkiller and Anti D:bag:. Yeah, the jaw is pretty bad. Running is totally out of question, even a medium ride on my stationary bike will have me pay later.
      Diazepam works good but i am very restrictive to use it (just a couple of times/month). Flexeril seems hard to get in Sweden but i will ask my neurlogist about it.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      @Nick the Swede Nick I know you've had botox injections didn't that help your jaw issue? Reason I'm asking is that I know Botox is a temporary fix and some people get injections couple times a year maybe its time for another Botox shot ...just a thought. The other solution maybe TMJ surgery I know I experience the same issues as you do and I as you know I have had the surgery and it helped altho not perfect I still have soreness after my runs but its much better.
      Hang in there man.

9. @Carlos, thanks. Yes i had injections 2 times and they do help. You need them every 2-3 months. I had one a week ago and it takes 1 month to get full effect from it. I have discussed surgery with my special dentist as well but most of my problems is muscular and not joint related, pretty strange and confusing problem this.

I am glad Jonas stayed with the Greens, i hope that he makes it as a starter the next season(y)

10. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      @Nick the Swede Jonas is a good player I was happy the C's kept him too.

11. @Carlos1 , the best we got besides the wife beater (Jeff Taylor), like him most because of his humble attitude.

12. adam2525
      Balanced

adam2525 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I tried it when I first got T. Had no effect on my T either way. However I stopped after two weeks because it was turning me into a zombie. (Tired with serious brain fog).

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    13. Evian

Evian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      I've been on this for years, the 10mg pain killing dose fir my fibromyalgia.

Still managed to get chronic T 6 months ago.

It's not working for mine, but might work for a new sufferer.

It's supposed to work for nerve pain.

It makes you feel like a zombie the first week but after that it's fine.

If you are still living a normal life with your T, job etc, don't take it last thing at night take it a bit earlier, so you are OK to drive etc

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    14. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      Amitriptyline . Well it works wonders on me tried all sorts of anti depressants but found these work best for me. Every body is different spent a year on trying different ant depressants but found Amitriptyline to be the best thing for my T and depression.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    15. @Richard zurowski, thanks. What dose are you on? My 50 mgs seems little as an anti d

16. Evian

Evian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      I think the AD dose starts at 400 mg

They don't use these older drugs (tricyclics ?) as ADs anymore they use the stuff like Citalopram and Prozac - well they do in the UK

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    17. Richard zurowski

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      The doctor started me on 25 mg. I've been on this dose for a year now and it works well for me.i think in extreme cases it can be as much as 100mg.

• Like Like x 1
    18. OnceUponaTime
      Facebooking

OnceUponaTime Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Allergies or Acoustic Trauma, Stress
    19. Richard zurowski

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      Hi Once Upona Time. I take amitriptyline for my depression I take now 50 mg at night it slightly lowers my tinnitus and that helps me get to sleep. I've tried most anti depressants but found this drug suits me best. I still have good and bad days with T mostly bad as I'm writing this my T is very loud.

20. OnceUponaTime
      Facebooking

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Im sorry to hear that. I hope it calms down for you tonight. :) Does it lower your T every night?? Just wondering if it is giving you the spikes?? It was prescribed for tension headaches but I need a little more information on it. Don't want to make things worst. sigh. Speak health to your body. :) Be well.

21. Richard zurowski

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      Hi. Thank you for your concern. Yes it does slightly lower it enough so l can get to sleep. As for the spikes who knows? I'm taking so many different things for it NAC, Phosphatidyylcholine, Magnesium, Zinc Tumeric, Ginko. They don't seem to make any difference. Think I'll stop taking them they could be interacting with the amitriptyline. As for amitriptyline it's not just for depression it's also a nerve drug to dull pain it's prescribed a lot by doctors in UK. Best wishes to you.

• Like Like x 1
    22. OnceUponaTime
      Facebooking

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      :( Sorry. I know exactly how you feel. Magnesium help me to relax, I take it at night. How are you feeling these days?

23. Richard zurowski

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      @OnceUponaTime I was coping well but have relapsed again, this is the fourth time in three years. It's hard to habituate, it drags my mood down and I find it very difficult to adjust again, but I will do it I'm strong willed and I won't let it beat me.

• Like Like x 1
    24. OnceUponaTime
      Facebooking

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Oh I just needed to hear those words! This is my 3rd relapse in 4 years so I completely understand you. I am exhausted now...I just came from NYC where I had a very extensive meeting with the people from TRT in downtown Manhattan. So much information..I need to get a cup of tea and unwind after this long day. 2 hr commute going and 2 hr commute coming back! Sigh... some tears and ear plugs too. The city is soooo loud. :( I hope you feel better soon. Give it some time. Are you still taking Amiriptyline??? I'll be praying for you for a wonderful goodnite sleep and a speedy recovery. :) Stay strong. Mary

• Hug Hug x 1
    25. Richard zurowski

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      @OnceUponaTime . Thank you Mary for your kind words it means a lot to me at this time. And wish you well to. And yes I'm still taking the amitriptyline. I have to try and get my depression under control.

26. OnceUponaTime
      Facebooking

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It sure helps when you are talking to someone who is going through the same thing. I sometimes wish I had a friend with T who lived near me... ( not that I wish this on any of my friends) but we could cheer each other up when feeling down...sigh. Oh, are you still taking Amitriptyline?? I have it but have not tried it yet... don't know what to do.

27. OnceUponaTime
      Facebooking

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Oh ok... I was prescribed it for tension headaches but some people here said it made their T worst (not sure if it gave them a spike and then it went down to baseline or if it gave them a permanet spike) so I do not know if I should try it....

28. Richard zurowski

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      @OnceUponaTime . Yes l agree with you it does help to talk to someone who have the same thing as you. I mean just chatting to you now has lifted my mood . As for the amitriptyline yes I'm still taking it it helps me get to sleep l was on 25 mg but my doctor has increased the dosage to 50 mg to try and help bring my depression down after a further relapse from tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    29. Richard zurowski

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      It doesn't seem to effect my tinnitus.

30. OnceUponaTime
      Facebooking

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Oh that is wonderful. Yes, my doctor said it would put me to sleep... I'm still deciding wether I should take it or not. 50 mg is very low to treat depression... Many people here said they take a lot more than that to treat depression. Are you anxious too?? Think happy thoughts!! (easier said than done right) I'm kinda feeling a little better now after that trip today. 2tsp of magnesium and a sleepy time tea helps me relax. :)