Amitriptyline Making Hyperacusis Really Bad

Discussion in 'Support' started by David Vance, Mar 21, 2020.

1. David Vance

David Vance Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Chemotherapy, imbalances with the body
      Hey everyone. I have just started on Amitriptyline. Only taken 2 pills so far, and my hyperacusis is getting really bad.

I'm using the medication for nerve and muscle pain in the face - possible trigeminal neuralgia. The medication works pretty good for the physical pain, but it sets off my hyperacusis badly.

Maybe the trigeminal neuralgia is causing hyperacusis, can this happen?

I'm speaking to the neurologist next week and getting a scan done to see if there are any compressions - if the blood vessels are hitting the nerves. Which places should I get them to target? The trigeminal nerve, the vestibular nerve? This stuff is all so scary!

I'm switching meds like no tomorrow right now as well.

I'm on Gabapentin 400 mg morning and night - Wondering if this can also be causing worse hyperacusis?

Trazodone 50 mg, which I am stopping tonight, will see how that goes.

Now on Amitriptyline - definitely going to stop taking it.

My suggestions to the doctor tomorrow will be switching to Nortriptyline. Next would be Oxcarbazepine as these two are my only hope for the pain.

Any experiences with Nortriptyline or Oxcarbazepine or what I am going through right now? I would love the help!

Thx.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Zugzug

Zugzug Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Autoimmune hyperacusis from Sjogren's Syndrome
      I actually have some connection to this story. I have chronic illness; my chronic pain transitioned fully into severe tinnitus and hyperacusis. I recently tried Cymbalta for 6 weeks and my hyperacusis went nuts. Sure enough, I started weaning off and it's greatly improved. I chose Cymbalta because it helps chronic pain; even though I wasn't experiencing the bodily pain anymore, I wanted to get on something for when it came back.

Unfortunately, it really didn't work out. I also didn't like the way it made me feel: super drowsy, emotionless, total inability to think or focus.

Let me know if something works for you. I may try an SSRI soon to see if it was the norepinephrine.

3. Born To Slay
      Depressed

Born To Slay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      When you say hyperacusis, is it pain or loudness hyperacusis?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      David Vance

David Vance Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I tried Cymbalta once before as well, and after one dose of it I had worse facial pain, was clenching in the day time pretty badly. So I stopped it. At that time I didn't have hyperacusis as bad. I hope something works for your chronic pain. If you don't mind me asking what kind of pain is it?

I have possible trigeminal neuralgia and TMJD. In other words generalized muscle and nerve pain in the head, face and neck.

I'm so bummed because the Amitriptyline really works out. I'll let you know if I come across something good.

I want to try Nortriptyline, and Oxcarbazepine. Anyone know if these are ototoxic?

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      David Vance

David Vance Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pain.

6. Orions Pain
      Sad

Orions Pain Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Does your pain set in immediately or does it have a delayed reaction? Like 5 min or so.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    7. Zugzug

Zugzug Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Autoimmune hyperacusis from Sjogren's Syndrome
      It's muscular pain all over my body; it's most severe in my back and arms. For five years, it would come and go in severity. Then all of my disease transitioned into fully attacking my inner ear. Now I have life-altering levels of hyperacusis and essentially no chronic pain.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    8. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      @David Vance -- DMSO, which I've used topically for years, can be extraordinarily effective for pain relief (and also extremely safe). There are other natural, non-drug options as well. Based on what you wrote, it doesn't look like medications are good for you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Christopher805

Christopher805 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      Hi Lane,

I have severe back pain from 2 herniated disk, which makes it virtually impossible to lay on my back. Can DMSO be used for this as well?

Thanks.

10. Star64
      Kick ass

Star64 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I'd be very careful using gabapentin, just my personal opinion :) lots of bad side effects can occur with this drug.

Many people have issues when they try and discontinue it, some members on Tinnitus Talk have had their tinnitus start or increase because of this drug.

I also was told I had trigeminal neurolgia years ago, I had severe face pain, turned out to be TMJ.

11. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @Christopher805 -- I can't think of any reason why DMSO wouldn't work for you. I'm quite familiar with DMSO and have used it for years. I started a thread in which I shared some of my experiences with it, and what I've learned over time: -- DMSO & Magnesium Oil for Tonic Tensor Tympani Syndrome (TTTS)

I've sent out a number of emails to friends and relatives over the years as well, trying to give them somewhat of an idea of how DMSO can be helpful for so many things. Below is just one of those emails, which has a pretty extraordinary pain relief story. Let me know if you'd like more information; it would be relatively easy for me to pull up a few more emails.

It seems there's no end to some of the remarkable things I run across about DMSO. I decided to read an old 1964 LIFE magazine article on it, and came across a couple of really interesting sections.

1) ... A doctor friend of his twisted an ankle one day, and Jacob promptly daubed it with DMSO. Later, looking at X-rays of the lower leg, both Jacob and his friend were horrified to learn that DMSO had killed the pain so effectively that the man had been walking around for four hours with a broken shinbone.

2) [Back in 1964] ... started looking for new uses for DMSO as a solvent. "We tried it first on notoriously hard-to-dissolve substances like pesticides," he recalls. "DMSO dissolved them easily. We then checked to see how pesticides in DMSO worked on trees. We found they began to move around with amazing speed--not just in the conducting systems under the bark, but right through nonliving layers of wood. The pesticides were colored so we could see them spreading out."

Agricultural experts helped adapt this discovery into a method which may do away with conventional spraying of trees. Pesticides in DMSO are piped into trees the way intravenous drips are put into the arms of patients. They spread to protect leaves and fruit from an impressive roster of mildews, blights, scabs and cankers. DMSO has other agricultural possibilities and even seems to rejuvenate fruit trees that have become barren.

Here's a final note about DMSO and heavy metals from a separate article. Interestingly, the health website--Advanced Rejuvenation Institute--where I got the below snippet offers IV DMSO at their clinic in Atlanta, Georgia.

Are There Other Benefits to DMSO?

Yes. DMSO can assist in Heavy Metal Detoxification. Heavy metals ( mercury, lead, aluminum, cadmium, arsenic, nickel ) are very difficult to detoxify from, and they are the root of many diseases. Sulfur is a mineral and a major ingredient of certain amino acids, which bind with minerals or heavy metals. Body drops heavy metals for minerals, which in this case would be sulfur. Amino acids substitute sulfur for toxic heavy metals, bind with them, and eliminate them via urination, defecation and sweating. Also, DMSO is efficient at scavenging free radicals. It is perfect anti-oxidant.

• Like Like x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      David Vance

David Vance Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pain sets in immediately.

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      David Vance

David Vance Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am so sorry to hear about all of this :(

I hope the hyperacusis can get better somehow for you.

• Like Like x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      David Vance

David Vance Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Can the DMSO work for trigeminal neuralgia? Thanks so much for this recommendation.

• Like Like x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      David Vance

David Vance Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have both TMJ and nerve pain in my face. I plan to get off of Gabapentin very, very quickly. It is quite ototoxic. I've heard about the complications of discontinuing the medication. Haven't heard anything great. :(

Thanks so much! :)

• Hug Hug x 1
    16. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @David Vance -- Of course I can't say for sure, but I would be awfully surprised if it couldn't. If you review some of the information and links I posted earlier, I would be awfully surprised if you didn't agree. -- Hmmm, I guess I like to use the expression "awfully surprised". :D

• Like Like x 1
    17. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      There's no medication that can fix hyperacusis. I have tried a bunch of meds and reached the conclusion that taking pills is not worth it. It can only produce side effects, in the short or long term.

18. Born To Slay
      Depressed

Born To Slay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      What drugs have you tried?

19. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Prednisone, Lyrica (briefly), Paroxetine, Deflazacort.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    20. Born To Slay
      Depressed

Born To Slay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Only one of those is a pain medication and you were on it briefly. How long were you on Lyrica?

21. RishRamsey
      Doubtful

RishRamsey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stupid DJ
      I have the exact same symptoms man, and pretty bad hyperacusis.

Had a question - does silence make your hyperacusis better, or the neuralgia symptoms better as well?

22. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      It was a long time ago. Maybe like a month. It did nothing to me, neither good nor bad.

• Like Like x 1
    23. Orions Pain
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Did the TMJ ever resolve for you? How did you determine it was TMJ rather than Trigeminal neuralgia?

24. Star64
      Kick ass

Star64 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I suffered with TMJ for five years before tinnitus onset. At first this was diagnosed as trigeminal neuralgia as my pain was unilateral on the right side of my face, I had severe sharp facial pain, jaw pain, ear pain and also blinding headaches at the same time.

After 4 months I was seen by a Neurologist who specialized in trigeminal neuralgia, he was very thorough in his examination, I was lucky I got to see him as he was about to retire. He informed me he was sure I had TMJ, he acknowledged there is an overlap between the symptoms of trigeminal neuralgia and TMJ as Both may cause facial pain or jaw spasm like I was experiencing, but he referred me to a dental surgeon he said was an expert in TMJ.

I had to wait 2 months to see this Surgeon and in between this wait I locked out my jaw on the right side when yawning, this all happened in the middle of the night when I was going to the toilet. I had to wake up my husband and get him to take me to the ER, it took 4 hours before they were able to put my jaw back in place.

Lucky I have a good sense of humor at the jokes that were flying around :D

So after that a diagnosis was confirmed of TMJ, the Dental surgeon I saw was great, he gave me exercises and a splint to wear, although I hardly wore the splint as I could not sleep with it. Anyway over the years it flares up, usually around times of stress, but when I feel it returning I alternate between hot and cold treatment and the exercises to stretch my jaw. Unfortunately TMJ and tinnitus seem to go hand in hand for many people.

25. Orions Pain
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @Star64 I see. Thank you for sharing. I’m struggling greatly trying to figure out what is going on for me.

I never had any jaw issues before tinnitus and hyperacusis and now it cracks badly any time I yawn or open my mouth. Jaw feels fairly sore all the time and I feel like I can’t open my mouth wide.

I also have this menthol burning all throughout my face. My forehead, sometimes it will go down my nose. Always in my eyelids, cheeks and along my jaw. It’s not “pain” like sharp pain but it feels absolutely terrible. I woke up last night and it was radiating down the back of my neck and my back as well.

I feel like it’s in my legs too but at this point I can’t tell if my mind is playing games with me.

My GP requested an MRI but I’m absolutely terrified of getting one and making my hyperacusis worse. Many are telling me not to get it, that I will regret that decision and it won’t show anything.

I am beyond lost and confused, and have no idea what to do.

• Hug Hug x 2
    26. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Star - can I ask if you suffer with bruxism - teeth grinding.
      I had TMJ pain for several years before seeing a hypnotherapist who diagnosed Bruxism within a couple of minutes.

If what I am asking you is relevant, I have some notes on how to eradicate this practice once and for all.

• Like Like x 1
    27. Star64
      Kick ass

Star64 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I do suffer from Bruxism Jazzer, I have for many years now.

28. Star64
      Kick ass

Star64 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I did have the same feeling in my cheeks and my forehead like yourself, I also felt sharp pain at times then just a severe ache burning pain like you described. I also felt like somebody was pulling my scalp all the time which gave me severe headaches.

I understand your reluctance to have an MRI but if you decide to go ahead with it please make sure you wear double protection. Wear ear plugs and ear muffs, make sure the technician gives you a panic button in your hand that you can press if needed. If the noise is uncomfortable you can press this and stop the procedure immediately.

29. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Star - Look up my post
      How to Cure Bruxism.”
      (last edited September 8th 2018.)

With practice you can learn to become a
      Soft mouth - Jaw hanger.’

Hope it helps Star.
      Dave x
      Jazzer

• Like Like x 1
    30. Star64
      Kick ass

Star64 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Sit quietly in your chair,
      Assume the demeanour of a baby.
      With your lips closed, allow your jaw to hang comfortably loose, your teeth apart.
      Breath through the nose.
      Allow the inside of your mouth to relax and go quite quite soft.
      Allow your throat to soften.
      Become aware that your tongue is now floating in water.
      Just continue with your gentle breathing.
      Rest easily with your soft mouth and hanging jaw.
      Practice this several times a day, to undo your former habit of teeth grinding.

I have been practicing something very similar to this and it does make a huge difference, maybe @Orions Pain can give this a try.

I was also told to hit my jaw from underneath to make my teeth chatter, if you can do this you know your jaw is relaxed. I was told to do this every 2 hours for when I first suffered from TMJ, it also helped me.

Thanks jazzer :huganimation::huganimation:

• Hug Hug x 1