Amlodipine and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Chris_P, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Chris_P

Chris_P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possibly hearing loss/acoustic damage, unknown
      Hi all,

I have been taking amlodipine for three or so years. Aware of the ototoxic effects of so many drugs and also generally under the impression that all drugs have side effects and ideally should not be taken indefinitely. I just came across this link claiming "hundreds and hundreds" of accounts of amlodipine and tinnitus and that it is one of the more ototoxic BP meds, affecting tinnitus but also balance issues and an ear fullness (something I experienced just before my tinnitus came on last January).

I'm certainly wary of online information, but thought it would be worth an ask given the doctor's perspective and many accounts in the comments. Has anyone had experiences going on or off amlodipine (or other BP meds) and that affecting tinnitus?

https://www.goodrx.com/blog/these-11-prescriptions-may-cause-ringing-in-the-ears/

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Chris_P

I have been taking 10mg Amlodipine for many years for BP and it hasn't increased my tinnitus. I also take Ramipril too and noticed no increase. It is not a good idea to read up too much information on medication and tinnitus. Tinnitus is enough to deal with without adding additional problems which can make the mind believe exist when in reality they don't.

Take the medication that you have been prescribed to keep your BP under control. It is far better to do this than risk a heart attack, stroke or kidney failure due BP that isn't kept under control.

All the best
      Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Chris_P

Chris_P Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possibly hearing loss/acoustic damage, unknown
      Thanks for your reply, @Michael Leigh! I agree with not looking too much into info, and the ATA list of 450 potentially ototoxic meds is extensive. Both the meds I'm taking (this and Fenofibrate) are on there so figured I would poke around learn whether anyone has had experience with either and tinnitus. But yeah, definitely not worth changing your prescribed meds.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      If I were you I wouldn't look at that ATA list but it's your choice.
      All the best

Michael