Amocla (Augmentin) Spiking Tinnitus — Will It Return to Baseline?

Discussion in 'Support' started by shan, Mar 10, 2017.

1. shan
      Lurking

shan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      God knows
      Hi all,

I was prescribed Amocla 625 mg, which I guess is more commonly known by the brand name Augmentin.

I have been avoiding antibiotics like a plague. However, it has to come that I had been having persistent fever for 4 days with other upper respiratory symptoms. I knew I was checkmate when the fever didn't abate with paracatemol. The doctor was nice but found it ridiculous when I asked if the antibiotics will exacerbate my tinnitus. He wanted to prescribe Clarithromycin but based on what I have read so far, I requested for Amoxicillin, which he said he has never heard of anyone telling him that Amox can cause or worsen T. ​

I am into my 4th tablet and it seems the volume of my T has increased slightly. I was able to sleep but woke up to a louder T and an additional tone, which thankfully went away. I know the louder T could be due to my upper resp infection or my own anxiety but I am feeling a tad jittery.

I wonder for those who have taken antibiotics and had experienced spikes, would the volume return to baseline when I complete the course? I am seeking some assurance so as to soldier till the last dose tomorrow afternoon.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. fhs
      Fine

fhs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gun range
    3. cry_of_the_w1nd
      Blah

cry_of_the_w1nd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus Infection
      Hi sorry to resurrect this thread but did it ever get better shan? I was given augmentin and developed ringing. I wanted to see if you has any improvement. Thanks so much.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      shan
      Lurking

shan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      God knows
      @cry_of_the_w1nd It went back to baseline. And I have subsequently taken amoclav on a few occasions with no detrimental effect. I hope yours settle down.

• Hug Hug x 2
    5. Audiophile_bg
      Furious

Audiophile_bg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Olanzapine/MRI
      Augmentin gave me palatal myoclonus within an hour of taking it. I am mortified. My GP told me today that "it's not a big problem", and denied any connection to the drug.

How is your tinnitus now?