An Ancient Remedy

Discussion in 'Support' started by Gec, Jul 23, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. Gec

Gec Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      Dear friends,

This is my first post here. My name is Gec and I'd like to share something that has worked for me. From the start I will say that what I'm going to share here is going to sound like a lot of... nonsense. Although I don't expect you to believe what I'm going to say, I hope you'll be curious enough to give this a chance.

I got a classical story you're probably tired of hearing. So I got "the T" some 3-4 years ago, at first I thought it would go away, as it had done in the past, you know how it goes, a few days and it's gone (at first). But this time, weeks, then months went by, and it was getting worse and worse. At some point I couldn't fall asleep anymore, stayed up during the night and decided to do some online research. That's how I found this forum back then. I didn't sign up because I didn't have anything to say, however I did read a bunch of threads, enough to get me convinced that this time it won't go away anymore. A lot of other websites backed by medical research were confirming this. I was supposed to get used to my new lifetime companion, the dreaded "T".

Eventually the volume did go down a bit, and then it went up and down during the next couple years or so. It was bugging me, but I could work and live a normal life for the most part. It was getting worse at times, but after a few days it would always be back to a "normal" T, at a "normal" level, my companion :)

Things got interesting some months ago. In December (2014) I read a business and management book, written by a monk who became a millionaire by applying some ethical principles from religion in the business world. My finances weren't at their best back then, so I decided to give it a try, especially since the book (again, a business book) made A LOT of sense to me.

An unexpected thing happened over the next weeks. I noticed that at times, days in a row went by when I wouldn't be aware of the T. Then weeks. I assumed it had cured itself somehow, and did not see any connection to the other thing I was doing, which was implementing the knowledge from this business book, which I had taken to the next level in a way by reading more books from the same author, listening to his lectures, and going (physically) to places where he held courses to listen and learn more. I'll share the name of the book, but it's not really relevant for this thread about tinnitus.

A few weeks ago I was at a conference and the author was answering questions from the audience. Business questions, relationship questions, health questions, all sorts of questions. Meditation is recommended in this system in order to reach success in business (as well as other areas of life). And alas, someone was saying they cannot meditate because of the constant noise in their ears, and was asking for advice.

Suddenly I was all ears. Imagine a mongoose walking by, minding his own business, and then suddenly standing up, 100% focused on what's happening around. That mongoose was me, when I heard the question. Although the "T" wasn't bugging me much lately, from what I had read online I knew it could return at any time. So I was very curious and excited to hear what the answer would be.

And the teacher (the author) said: "It's because you're saying unpleasant things to people. Be careful to what you're saying. Try not to say even the smallest thing that can be perceived as something unpleasant. Also, don't listen to loud music, bugging the neighbours, or use a pneumatic drill during the night etc."

Suddenly it all made sense. To me, it did. I realize it can't make sense to someone who hears this for the first time. If I heard a few yers back, I'd also probably have said something like "What in the world connection could there be between the T and what I say to people, give me a break here will you, I'm busy and suffering, I'm not in the mood for jokes."

So then it all made sense. Part of the system to have success in business (and in all areas of life) was to be kind to people. And one of the ways to be kind was to "speak gently", and to avoid "harsh words". Which I had been doing since December (2014), since I read the book and it made sense and I decided to implement it. That was what made my T volume go lower, and eventually go away completely. Today, before posting here, I listened on purpose, and there was... silence. Dead, absolute, lovely silence. I still hear it sometimes, when I listen on purpose, but at a very, very low level. Today though (and other times) there wasn't any T at all. I now know soon I won't even be able to hear it sometimes at a low level when I listen on purpose.

I hope you're curious enough to give this a try. For the next weeks, months, be very conscious about the things you say and do your best to only say nice things to people. In the evening (and this is important if you want faster results) take a few minutes to review your day, and rejoice in the small successes. "Today I held my tongue when my colleague bugged me again". Modest things like that.

You've got nothing to lose by trying this. The worst thing that can happen is that, for a while, you're a better person. And one of the best thing that can happen is that your T goes away. For good.

Then you can come back here and let us know how it goes.

Hugs,
      Gec

PS: This thing works, I'm sure, and it works whether you actually understand why it works or not. So there's no need for you to actually go and read the whole book. But if you do want to understand more, the book that started it all for me is called The Diamond Cutter, by Geshe Michael Roach. It has (apparently) nothing to do with tinnitus, it's a business book written as a solution to people's business problems. As a side effect though, as I've learned, it also fixes tinnitus, and a bunch of other social and health problems. Love, Gec.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. Manuel Tissm
      Angry

Manuel Tissm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Thank you for sharing with us.

Best Regards
      Manuel

3. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi, thanks for taking the time to write all this up.

It makes sense to me, because I know for a fact that my tinnitus is deeply affected by the way I think -- I can literally cause myself to have piercing, screeching bursts in my bad ear through a very specific cognitive practice. So, this tells me that my tinnitus is some kind of physioelectric feedback loop between a structural problem and various mental circuits -- and therefore, any time someone tells me that they have found a way to impact their tinnitus through any kind of conscious activity, I tend to believe them.

You may encounter some resistance here, because some people seem to have a different experience -- their tinnitus seems to be completely unrelated to anything they have conscious control over -- and thus they might balk at the suggestion, because it might be possible to read the first post here and think "this guy is telling me that my ears ring because I say bad things about other people, and that's not true, and I am offended".

• Like Like x 1
    4. Gec

Gec Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      Thank you guys for your feedback.

Just wanted to clarify that I did not impact my tinnitus through any kind of conscious activity, or at least on purposeful conscious activity, in the sense that I was actually trying to do that. It was a side effect, a very welcome and totally unexpected side effect, of other things I was doing (consciously, true, but directed at something else).

I can understand it seems like unrelated issues. And I can so deeply understand, and totally relate to anyone who says "this guys shows up here and tells me some BS about this and that", because I would've felt the same a year or two ago.

I could go on and on about why these two seemingly unrelated things are actually very much related, but I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to explain it properly and wouldn't do justice to this ancient wisdom. That is why I only wrote that it works, hoping someone would try it out, especially since even the worst case scenario brings about positive outcomes in our lives, and mentioned that actually understanding why it works isn't really necessary for it to work.

And that's why I gave the book reference - the book does justice to the topic and explains clearly why seemingly unrelated things like these are actually in close connection (though the book doesn't mention the T, you can figure it out from there).

I am very sorry if I offended anyone. I apologize and wish to convey that I had in mind only the best intentions, with every word I wrote, and sincerely hope you wonderful guys and girls at this forum will understand that.

I will do my best to answer any specific questions on the topic, if anyone feels inclined to inquire further about this.

Thank you.

• Like Like x 2
    5. Whether it helps t or not I don't know but I think it's a great approach to life in general and thank you very kindly for sharing that with us :)

6. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      Ah, let's see here. By reading a business book, I'll cure my wretched, screaming T?

Thanks. But forget all that. I have this bridge in Brooklyn, I'd like to sell you.........

• Agree Agree x 4
    7. Dennis MacDonald
      Confused

Dennis MacDonald Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Unfortunately I agree with this post. People with any kind of affliction are susceptible to all sorts snake oil. Show me the beef and I will give it a try.

8. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Business and tinnitus=pharma

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    9. Gec

Gec Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      Thank you Street Spirit. Hope you'll give this a try.

Sailboardman, Dennis, Danny - I am not selling anything, I specifically said that reading the book (which btw isn't mine and I gain nothing if they sell a couple more) isn't needed. I just said what worked for me, it happened to be started by a business book, but it could as well have been anything. This HAS WORKED for me, and I was excited to share this with the community, in case someone else might like to try it for themselves - I know it would work for you too. This is especially true since there is absolutely nothing to lose from trying it, and a lot to gain whether it works or not.

Best wishes,
      Gec

• Like Like x 1
    10. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Yeah it's a great way of life but it has zero link to T. I was ruthless a hole in business before T, I'm a way nicer guy now, I had no T when I was prick, I have serious T now and I'm a nice guy, no link, kinda strange post to be honest.

Or did I get T by being ruthless in business? Well, I'm no business man anymore, All I do is go for walks with my mom and try and help people, my T doesn't change :)

Karma is for suckers....be kind and awesome towards other because you want to be, not because you are shit scared of karma or you think your T will heal.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    11. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      That's co cute ^^. It's mum over here.

• Funny Funny x 1
    12. jimH
      No Mood

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      That's an unrealistic assumption on your part. To declare that, because it worked for you, you know it would work for the rest of us. It may help some but not all.

However, I really am glad that it worked for you. Additionally, I appreciate your motive in sharing your experience with the intention of helping others....(y)

• Agree Agree x 2
    13. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      Thank you @Gec for sharing your story. I'm happy that this worked for you. I'm already a person who wouldn't willingly hurt someone's feelings --I learned a long time ago that one doesn't have to say what one is thinking all the time... so I doubt this will work for me. I also can't do anything unethical as the guilt would keep me up at night worse than tinnitus. :)

14. Gec

Gec Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      Guys, thank you. You are an amazing community here. This is my fourth post, and I already love you folks.

It may help some, yes, and if it does, then my efforts will have been worth it. One thing is for sure though, it can't help someone who won't give it a chance. I know it's counter-intuitive, it sounds like nonsense (I said it in the OP too), and this is one of the causes why so many people are suffering. If it wasn't so counter-intuitive, people would try it, and we'd live in a better world, free of the T.

The thing is, just being nice doesn't work. This requires some conscious effort on our part to watch our language. Whenever we say something, we should think first, and not say anything if we appreciate that it would be unpleasant for the people hearing it. And for those of us who already avoid saying things which may hurt others, taking it just a little step further should be easy enough.

Thank you again.

Hugs,
      Gec

PS: As mentioned, I'll do my best to answer any questions. Thanks!

15. Mad maggot
      Breezy

Mad maggot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      People! I do not believe there is any connection with T and speaking nicely either. To me I feel it is completely irrelevant to T. but why do you have to go on the attack?
      I found a couple of posts here not very nice or perhaps I misunderstood them so I will not mention anyone and growl at them personally.
      This person believes that it helped them and they are sharing in the hope it might help someone else for goodness sake. If you aren't interested and like me don't believe it, fine. why post a nasty reply? Just shut up and let the people who are interested do what they want!!

• Hug Hug x 1
    16. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Well said. But a business book has nothing to with tinnitus.

17. Gec

Gec Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      My dear friends.

Thank you. I said from the OP that it seems like nonsense. I know it seems like nonsense, and it is quite frustrating to me because this simple remedy is useless if nobody tries it. It requires no money, it requires no pills, no surgery, no tests, no special exercises, no going anywhere, no additional equipment (ear plugs etc) - just a thought at the back of our mind to be mindful to what we say to others. It's unfortunate that these two seem unrelated.

It IS counterintuitive and it does seem like nonsense, I agree. Until you actually try it for a few weeks and see that it does work. Then you'll very probably also be able to understand WHY it worked, and it will open a door to many more wonderful things.

It's a very simple thing to try. Worst case is that you're particularly kind for a few weeks. But as I said, it does take some conscious effort on our part not to say hurtful things for a while.

Hugs,
      Gec

18. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Well, you have to buy a book. Anyway, might as well buy a TRT book at least that's on topic.

• Funny Funny x 1
    19. Gec

Gec Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      I apologize if I left the impression that you have to buy the book. You don't. The book doesn't mention the tinnitus, it just explains some principles which will help you in business, and in all other areas of life.

As it happens, if you go about applying it, you'll get rid of all sorts of problems, including the T. Yes, if you read it, you'll most probably understand that there IS a connection between speaking harsh words and the noise in our ears. But you don't have to read it to apply this method, for the purpose of our discussion. You can just go about being mindful to your words, that's all. If you do want to read it and don't want to buy it, there's a good chance they have it at your local library, or they'd bring it to the library if you mention it to them.

When I had the T I read a lot of websites, read about medical studies, etc. It unfortunately did not help. Speaking gently did help - but I did not know that it did. I did not see the connection either. It was only later that this guy tells me that there's a connection. So, in a way, I was a subject to a double blind test: I went about to do stuff that would improve my live overall, including the business side. Then my T got cured. I did not see any connection to what I had been doing, I just thought it went away by itself, as some sites mention that it happens sometimes. Later I learned that actually there was a connection, and doing the things I have been doing for months would also stop the T. Which it did, and I had already learned.

This my dear friends is why I'm so excited about this. I do agree it sounds like nonsense. I am the first to say, loud and clear, that it sounds like absolute, complete nonsense, and I'm glad you agree with me on this. :)

Hugs,
      Gec