An Interesting Thing...!

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by tintin31, May 20, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. tintin31
      Dreaming

tintin31 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress/Medication/Chronic Pain (now recovered)
      Hi everyone, I have posted on this site about Audionotch in the past, a brief history on me is that my T started nearly 2 years ago, I went to bed with it and it's been with me ever since. I have a lot more detail of my T journey to view if you search my conversations under my username tintin31.

I have been using the tailor made notched white noise as a treatment as per the recommended detail on the Audionotch website. I upload it onto an iPod. After about 8 months of regular listening I was beginning to get days literally free of tinnitus, I would also get days where it was really bad as well, up and down like a roller coaster ride. After now having listened to the notched white noise for 18 months now I'm getting several days in row where the T has literally gone, it comes back quite bad at times, I listen again and again and it's now just getting better than its been since the T started.

Yes habituation is part of what's going on with me, especially now that I can sleep without it bothering me. However with T at 14khz nothing will mask it, for me it's so much more than just habituation it's about suppressing the T by using notched white noise in an attempt to make "plastic" changes to my auditory connections in my brain, which I can now saying is becoming very apparent, with T free days and the T tone changing.

The frequency of my T is changing from a horrid 14khz screeching sound to a low hisssssss that is so easy not to hear, and the odd day where it's not there at all. The notched sound has been at 14khz for the entire time I've listened, I've just tweaked it to 14.5khz and it's just brilliant now, I suggest that you try this treatment, it does require incredible patience and persistence. I'm not cured by any means, but the days free from tinnitus and just amazing and so very very relaxing.

Good Luck to you all.

• Like Like x 5
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. tintin31
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi everyone, time for an update on my experiences with notched sound therapy, it's been nearly 3 months since my last post. As I reported my T reduces to a low hiss on some days then increases back to the 14khz squeal however the net reduction in volume continues, it's just so very slight each month, but the reduction from when my T first started just over 2 years ago which I would rate as 7/10 is now down to 3/10 on average, I have the very odd 5/10 day but mostly it sits at 3/10 such as right now.

Interestingly I just went for 7 days in a row where I had to listen to the notched sound for just 45mins in this 7 days, day 3 of 7 it was, which is a first for me in the last 22 months I've been treating my T.

During the 7 days my T was bearly noticeable at 1/10 and for most of the time I didn't notice it at all, which was incredible, my spirits lifted and I was pretty much back to my old self again. I haven't done anything differently at all, I still have the same work and family stresses, drink the odd few beers and have a few full strength coffees everyday, my diet is unchanged.

I will continue with this treatment and keep you all posted as things change and progress. I see there is some promise with the Autiphony drug trials, here's hoping for a permanent cure for all of us in the next few years. Regards.

• Like Like x 6
    3. tintin31
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi all, another update, I'm still on the improve, and I'm still getting many days in a row T free. On the days when the T is noticeable I just listen again to the notched white noise, I'm not listening for anymore than an hour a day. The T never disappears straight after I've listened, it's always the next day on waking up, the combination of listening and sleep is having some kind of reset or rewiring in my brain. It's such a pity that nobody is studying this effect (that I'm aware of).

I do recognise the triggers that bring the T on again, it's really weird as I can hear the T coming back/increasing in volume. For me the triggers can be cooking food in a frying pan or on a hot plate, the sizzling sound can set me off as can anything that mirrors my T frequency.

I do recall how bad my T was when it first started nearly 2 years ago, I had to mask the sound at night to fall asleep, was also taking a sleeping table at night to help me relax. On reflection that only lasted for a month or two, soon after I started listening to the notched white noise I no longer needed the masking or tablets to fall asleep, which was an amazing turn around as I thought I'd be stuck with having to do this for a very long time.

• Like Like x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. DebInAustralia

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      30/12/13
      that is amazing, and thankyou!

• Like Like x 1
    5. Rube
      Fine

Rube Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      @tintin31 thanks for the updates. It takes a lot of discipline to stick with this and Im glad it's helping you.

6. tintin31
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks Rube, yes it does sometimes get to me though, but I just keep at it.

7. tintin31
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks Deb, and how are things going with your T journey...??

8. Robert44

Robert44 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      @tintin31 Hi Thanks for the updates I went to the web site. i guess you do the yearly plan at $99???

9. Falconfox
      Paranoid

Falconfox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wish I knew, possibly nosie damage.
      That's awesome dude. Congrats! Another success story to contrast all the doom and gloom out there. Dig it.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Federico7878

Federico7878 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud headphones
      Hi @tintin31 , thanks for sharing your story. Mi T is very similar to yours, one tone around 14.4 khz and two more <4khz that don't bother me that much. I am starting the notch therapy, but I have some doubts and maybe you can help me. My main concern is that I almost don't hear the test tone in my right ear, so I don't know if the therapy will work with me. And my other concern is that I'm not sure if I can hear higher frequencies in my left ear (>15khz) so, again, I'm not sure if it will work.
      What about you? Can you hear well after that frequencies? In both ears?

Thanks!!

11. JohnK
      Lonely

JohnK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/26/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who knows?
      @tintin31 did you follow their suggestion to listen to it at different parts of the day, or did you listen to it around the same time every day?

Were you listening for just 1 hour a day or more?

12. Federico7878

Federico7878 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud headphones
      @tintin31, I started this therapy, I am having an volume increase in my T...from reading your posts I think it happened to you too, but how long did it last? I started on Monday and today I am having one of my worst days ever.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    13. tintin31
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Federico7878
      Yes that's exactly what happens, it's what they call the Zwicker tone, it's temporary, I do have my journey documented on tinitustalk, it all seems a blur now. So how is it going for you now.?

14. tintin31
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @JohnK
      In the begining John I followed what was suggested 20 minute interval x 3 per day, as I improved I got less disciplined, these days I now only listen when I have no relief, I will listen when I'm relaxing for up to an hour with the volume low, I find if its to loud then the zwicker tone will be annoyingly loud.

15. tintin31
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Federico7878 I can't hear the tone/tuner above 15.5 kHz, this is normal for an adult over 40 at least, that being from age related hearing loss as we get older the upper frequencies are the first to decline.........!! You should notch the tone that's the most annoying, such as your 14.4khz, you must be patient with the process and don't have the notched white noise up too loud as it makes the zwicker tone louder/worse than your actual tinnitus. Which is what the zwicker is anyway, its your T amplified.

16. tintin31
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Oh wow it's been over 3 months or so since my last update, how time flies.

Well it's been interesting as usual as I've been improving tiny bits at a time I use the notched noise therapy less and less. I've gone 2 weeks not using the notch sound therapy to see what happens, when my T volume increases I've not listened to the notched noise to see what happens. Well I have to say that the notched noise works for me, I got some slight relief when I didn't listen being the natural course of my T, however the relief I got when I listened again was excellent, it can take up to 2 days where I have T free days again and this is just from listening for an hour straight per day and only when the T is annoying.

I can go for 4 to 5 days with hardly a tinnitus sound to be heard, it's excellent, its always there in the background, but more as a tiny hiss than horrid psssssst sound at 14khz.
      Then one day I will wake and it's either back again before I get out of bed or I can actually hear it coming back not long after Im up and about, it's such a weird thing to experience.
      So while I'm not cured, I find it's more of a roller coaster, up and down, one thing that I do know is that the volume of my T is not as it was before I started on the notched sound journey, thank goodness. So for me now I only listen when I need to, that being when the T comes back and starts to bug me again.

There are triggers that either set my T off or make it worse and I try to avoid these triggers, if find that these triggers contain my T frequency, such as the high pitch sound that water makes coming out of a shower rose, an aggressive sizzling sound or the high pitch wirr of a fan, to a point also my mobile(cell) phone also makes my T worse, there definitely something in that I believe.

Like all of you I'm hanging on a cure as well, what I enjoy is the break or days off that I get, which I can definitely say is from listening to the notched sound, in fact I now believe that the notched sound actually suppresses the T, rather than "curing it" per say. That's why its always in the background, sometimes Id even say at times that its gone totally, but then I hear it creeping back as its "unsuppressing" again, then I listen to the notched sound again, and it suppresses again. Its an odd combination of listening, sleeping & suppression that makes the entire experience of having T bearable. Without it I don't know where Id be right now, so I do empathise with those of you that are unable to find any real relief.

The other thing that I tell myself is that its just a sound in my head, its not incurable cancer, its not debilitating pain, its just a sound and nothing more, I can still do everything I want to do in life, its just so bizarre that we as humans need the silence in our head to feel normal. If we take the T away then what happens ??? We are exactly the same person, just without noise in our head, its such a weird experience, after all that's why we're all here on this web site, looking for support and a cure, of what is simply a noise in our head. I appreciate that this is easy to write about, but in reality is way more than just a noise in our head.

I wish you all the very best with your T journey, and here's hoping for a cure in the next few years. I'm happy to continue to answer your questions, if my T ever leaves me I will let you know.......!!!

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    17. Bill Thomas

Bill Thomas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Good to hear (no pun intended), as I am also following the notching approach. I am using the instructions posted on you tube using the audacity program. I have noticed great steps in the correct direction. When mine first came about, I really didn't know what was happening. I did know that I encountered headaches every day. I went to the ER and received a CAT scan that showed everything clear but the doctors wanted me to get a MRI ASAP. When the doctors told me that, it scared the hell out of me. I made an appointment with a Neurologist and scheduled up the MRI. I mentioned again the ears ringing, and that's when I heard about tinnitus for the first time. MRI came back clean, and he put me on an antidepressant. I though that odd because I am not depressed, and even with all of this worrying the hell out of me I was quite pleasant. The main issue I encountered was sleeping, my mind could never "rest". My T fluctuates ↑ and ↓ and in and out. The anti-depressant helped greatly, but to me this was not a long term option. I listen to he notched audio in the morning on the ride to work (about and hour and a half), throughout the day (approx. 2 hours), and I HAD been listening to the audio an hour before bedtime. That was working for me. Last night, I realized the fan that I slept with caused my T to go crazy. I realized that when I turned the fan off, the T was silent. I don't know if the constant sound that doesn't have the T tone gaped caused this, but it may have. I have an appointment with an Otolaryngologist and audiologist.

• Like Like x 1
    18. tintin31
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Bill Thomas
      It could well be your fan that's causing you the grief, will be interesting to see how you go not sleeping with it on. Wow that would be an amazing fix right there by simply turning it off, therefore your T goes away. I see like most of us your jumping through all the necessary hoops to discount anything that might be causing your T internally, but hey if its simply your fan.....then congratulations you can step out of the T boat that we're all in. Let us/me know how it goes.

19. baz 22
      Alone

baz 22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Thanks for this thread, really brigs hope to those in need. Please keep us updated further. I may try some of this therepy myself.

• Agree Agree x 1