Anatomy Help Please? Palpable Bump in Front of My Right Ear

Discussion in 'Support' started by Katie2016, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Katie2016
      Tired

Katie2016 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I've noticed that I have a larger, palpable bump in front of my right ear which I experience intermittent PT in. Right now I'm being treated as if it's caused by ETD.

What is this part of my bone/ear/body called? Is it my temporomandibular joint?

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Does it seem to "come out" when you open/close your jaw? - you can typically feel your TMJ with your finger.

3. SilverSpiral
      Sad

SilverSpiral Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ACOUSTIC TRAUMA
      Not sure what is being described here, but may it just be a "Lymph node" surely there are several of those around the ear?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Katie2016
      Tired

Katie2016 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      This isn't a lymph node, it's not under my jawbone, it's more where I would think the TMJ bone is? I can feel it when my mouth is closed, open etc. Hubby says he feels it move more than the other side when I open and close my mouth. It's more noticeable that is.

5. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      TMJ is not a bone, it's a joint (hence the J in TMJ). It connects your jaw to your skull (and those are 2 bones). More info.
      It's normal to feel it during opening/closing of the mouth. You may have something else going on if it's asymmetric, and some imaging could help there. Ask your doc.