Another Concert Post

Discussion in 'Support' started by John Mullarkey, Feb 7, 2018.

1. John Mullarkey
      In love

John Mullarkey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 24th 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud Noise exposure
      Hey how are we?
      I'm John I'm 17
      I got my t about a year and a half ago after I had my ears syringed . To be honest I've been to the doctor and we arnt completely certain whether this started the t or not but I've formed that conclusion as I would always try to protect my ears and listen to music at a responsible level .

Regardless I've done a few hearing tests and I've no hearing loss or anything of the sort just a very mild ringing
      I can't even hear it outside really just in complete silence.

However whenever someone will clap right next to my ear or when someone hits me in the face it's spikes like crazy and goes down almost immediately.

Anyway my passion is music I love it so much it's my favourite thing in existence and I wasn't ready to give it up ..so Ive still kept up with playing live music in a band (lead guitar and vocals ) I use extreme isolation ex29 headphones and they work perfect but here is the actually question ( sorry for the life story ) I've been to concerts since my t has started
      A good few but only in small venues and with 32db foam earplugs
      Except one where a guy was playing with a 100watt Marshall tube stack !
      I had to throw on muffs that I had in my bag on top and it was grand.
      No increase since I've been diagnosed
      But the question is if I could handle that? Would I be up for seeing u2 in November ? It's in the 3 arena and I'd be wearing 33db earplugs and 34db muffs and be standing somewhere in the middle of the crowd .
      What are your guys thoughts?? I'd love to hear them
      Thanks ❤

2. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Why are people hitting you in the face?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    3. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      small rooms are worse than stadium shows. stadium shows aren't even all that loud. you'll likely be fine.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. s-viv
      Artistic

s-viv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concerts
      I've had tinnitus for over a decade.. been to dozen of metal shows(I mean real hardcore death metal in small venues) I've personally been fine wearing the foam plugs properly inserted and when I feel it is too loud I put the muffs over, which usually dampens the bass a tad. Though to be honest I feel the muffs make it sound louder than with just the plugs alone, it really distorts the sound a bit. You will be fine, I've stood right next to the speaker on many occasions. Outdoor events are not so bad. Enjoy the show.

5. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      no, you do have hearing loss especially if your tinnitus was caused by noise exposure.
      http://hyperacusisfocus.org/innerear/#hiddenloss

6. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      • Funny Funny x 2