Another Newbie Here — Stateside

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Lisa Modrall, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Lisa Modrall

Lisa Modrall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello all. I said "Stateside" because in my "research" it seems Great Britain has it going on and the US, not so much.

first noticed, as in NOTICED, the sound in my head about two months ago, but upon pondering, it was probably about three months ago, I just dismissed the sound for awhile, chalking it up to tiredness or general background static.

Anyway, it's here in full force now. It's 24/7, it's LOUD and yes, I too, have "identified" what I think it most sounds like. It wasn't until literally this week I began to think "I'll bet there's support groups for this!" and I found this site.

I literally know NO ONE in my inner circle that has ever told me they have tinnitus - don't know how that's possible. So thank you for letting me in Admin whomever you are.

I am 59 YO with no major health issues, no recent trauma to my back, neck or head. A history of anxiety and depression but not currently. I take no meds. I did spend probably 15 years listing to very loud music from teens through 20's and, until I just realized (and it's not like I didn't know it was a possibility) that I probably ruined my hearing, still did crank up the volume with earbuds.

I am probably not the kind of person to go to a lot of doctors, first because of $$ and secondly, from what I've read, there is no cure.

My main reason for joining is to learn how to cope and how to not feel alone with this "thing" I now have in my head. I ordered a whitenoise machine this morning and am looking forward to that getting here. I am trying to stay positive about this because, having two sons who were musicians, if this is the price of listening to music all my life, I'll pay it. I'll probably change my tune if/when I go deaf. Maybe.

Can you go deaf from this? I look forward to getting to know this site, you all, and anything I can learn about coping. Thank you so much!

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      Hello I'm from NY, I went to GPs, neor, ENTs, audiologist all in all 7 of them, but all of them had no answers for me, I had no priors and I didn't listen to loud music I'm 53, i believe mine is from extend stress now. Ive had T 6 months and I never heard of it before. It took me a couple of months to get back together and move on, which I'm thankful. I'm a different me. I don't think you can go deaf, but people do have hearing problems which you can read from this site, this site help me alot.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Modrall

Lisa Modrall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I like that you said "I'm a different me", because we can never not be a "different me" from the day before. Hang in there, because I'm gonna. Thank you so much for responding to my post. I appreciate it very much.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. binsonica

binsonica Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck treatment
      Hi Lisa! Welcome to the forum. You will find a lot of nice people here with great advice on how to cope with this annoyance, and who knows, maybe your tinnitus just fades away after a while.
      I love your attitude :love: . Staying positive is winning more than half of the battle. Usually people get stressed and depressed about their tinnitus and it makes the ringing even louder.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Modrall

Lisa Modrall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you binsonica. Croatia? Really? Holy cow, maybe my head is singing but if I get to meet people all over the world, THERE'S a giant benefit! In every cloud there is a silver lining. And I can't believe people are telling me it just might go away. That's bizarre. Does that really happen?

6. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum, Lisa. I agree that your tinnitus won't cause you to go deaf. Coping with tinnitus is something many people have successfully managed to do so and winning and you can find them and their strategies/methods in the success stories section. I have written my own success story after suffering nightmares with my loud ultra high pitch tinnitus and severe hyperacusis. I shared some coping strategies with detail in my story. For brevity, I list the link to it if you like to read it. You can try to read as many success stories as you want, as you can learn from others various ways to get better. I also include the most read success story 'Back to Silence' from IWLM which uses a simple but effective strategy. Good luck. Take care. God bless.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...w-i-recovered-from-tinnitus-hyperacusis.3148/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/back-to-silence.7172/

• Like Like x 1
    7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      • Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Modrall

Lisa Modrall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you so much Bill. I will read
      everything!

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Modrall

Lisa Modrall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you Billie, you've given me lots to think about and I appreciate it.

10. Robert18

Robert18 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      october 10, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      machine noise in factory, headphone, stressed
      hi lisa,
      it's just only a couple of weeks or months of trying hard in coping of having T.
      but later you can accept and habituate the annoying sounds.
      always protect your ears when going outside because you will never know the noise around.
      trust yourself and always think positive whatever happens.

goodluck and god bless,
      Robert

• Like Like x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa Modrall

Lisa Modrall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you Robert!