Antidepressants

Discussion in 'Support' started by glynis-harbron, Jul 30, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Antidepressants can help your mental state if find your mood dipping and staying down for a long time and can even find getting through each day hard going and being a mum,dad,grandparent or child or teenager or adult with tinnitus.
      Antidepressants and talking therapy can help you to balance the chemicals in your brain and stop you suffering a mental illness that can be treated.

As most of you know I have a few health issues along side sever bilateral tinnitus and lost my dad this year I also find my mental state takes a dive and take medication for it.

I started on amitryptaline 100mg 12 years ago for OA from the hospital and when I reduced it to 50mg my mood dropped and my doctor advised me instead of upping my amitryptaline to start a new antidepresant so I started Effexor 75mg .
      This left me on 50mg of Anitryptaline and 75mg of Effexor.
      The last few weeks I weaned myself off Amitryptaline in the hope I would be ok just on Effexor one Antidepressant.
      My mood started to drop and depression taking hold again and emotional.
      Last Wednesday I had my Effexor upped by 35+mg and in l3 days it will be going up to 150 mg to hopefully do the trick to lift my depression or even another increase.

It's nothing to be ashamed of and I know the medication will soon have me back on track and one less problem to deal with.
      Anyone reading this who has depression I hope you stay strong and know there is light at the end of the tunnel. .....lots of love glynis

• Like x 3
      • Agree x 2
      • Helpful x 1
      • Hug x 1
      • Winner x 1
      • Friendly x 1
    2. Oli
      Alone

Oli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/04/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sonor Trauma
      I found you very brave to stay positive and spread love in moments like this.
      I admire you for that because I myself also have a very hard time and cant manage to stay positive maybe because I never had known faith or something spiritual. I'm a very factual person and find life so cruel right now.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      @glynis-harbron . Hi Glynis . Hope you feel better soon . I find the depression the worse thing when you are going through the hard time dealing with tinnitus. My mood is not good at this moment. I've always suffered with depression even before I got tinnitus. When my mood is low then my tinnitus is all I can think about. A few weeks back my tinnitus didn't bother me . But because my mood is low it's all I think about . But I'm not letting this get the better of me . like you said there's nothing to be ashamed of its better to talk about how you feel and not bottle it up inside.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi @Richard zurowski ,
      I'm getting through it and will be better on one medication than the two.
      My doctor is lovely and know I timed it right while I'm on my big summer hold to alter medications.
      Keep smiling.....lots of love glynis

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    5. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      • Like Like x 1
    6. Nick Pyzik
      Depressed

Nick Pyzik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/23/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening to in-ear headphones & playing in a band
      Glynis,

I love reading all your hopeful and helpful comments on TT, but I just don't agree on the use of antidepressant medications.

There is an Indian herb called Turmeric. It's been studied to show that it does exactly what antidepressants do in the brain. Create neurogenesis while raising the chemical Serotonin. It even fights inflammation too.

The thing is, actual antidepressant medications don't just do what the herb Turmeric does. They actually change your brains structural architect. It enlarges certain regions of your brain while shrinking others. Antidepressants are not meant to be taken by humans. Our brains aren't meant to be messed with like that.

Turmeric does exactly what antidepressants like Prozac and more do.

• Informative Informative x 1
    7. william adams
      Wishful

william adams Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one week after leg surgery plus hearing loss in higher freq.
      Sorry to hear that you lost your dad this year for that is a tough thing to loose a parent. You have to take what drugs that you need to feel better and personally I have no regret taking them. Why suffer if you dont have too. I commend you on your supportive and educational post helping folks on this forum. And quoting you lots of love to Glynis.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Vaba
      Shitfaced

Vaba Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Gradual, Progressive
      Word of advice: Don't bother with SSRIs. Never take them for any reason. They just blast your brain out of the ballpark, numbing you into oblivion, and make you feel nothing - also they've not been studied enough to be verified safe for long term use. I used them for 8 years, daily, and I'm now dealing with a litany of daily hellish symptoms...

You never laugh, you never cry; but you never feel, so you never hurt...

Antidepressants are not pro-hedonics - if your depression is minor or intermediate, they make you incapable of being depressed, but NEVER do they make you happy. They make you not depressed by making you incapable of feeling anything.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member Ambassador Team Tech

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      This is a completely biased view. I know of many tinnitus/depression sufferers such as @RichL who will swear by them and say they have turned there life around. There are two sides to the coin but for many people as a last resort they are life savers. I don't disagree with some of your points, it's just not black and white.

• Like Like x 1
    10. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi @Oli,
      Thank you for your reply and stay positive it will get better...lots of love glynis.
      Hi Nick,thank you for your reply and your views are equally important but I know that help me cope with my health issues and loss of my dear dad who I take after staying positive through down times...lots of love glynis.
      Hi William,Thank you for your kind words....lots of love glynis.
      Vaba, they really help me and I am a great believer in talking therapy too...lots of love glynis

Soulstation,I agree with you that they do help you if need them and I know we have quite a few members who struggle with depression.
      For me my health can be a struggle and a tiny pill helps me to be the person I am and recommend them where needed but best backed up with talking therapy....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    11. hartje5
      Wishful

hartje5 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4 december 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Verapamil, Flecainide, Apixaban, stress
      Hi Glynis,

I hope the antidepressant will do its work soon. Maybe if Effexor turns out to not be the right choice for you your could go back on Amitriptalyne? I don't agree with people who are against anti depressants. I know the best choice would be not to take them but sometimes in life you have no choice.

I'm on Remeron and it doesn't completely take away my depression but I was much much worse before I started it.

• Like Like x 1
    12. undecided
      Fine

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      ADs should be a last resort drug.
      And before it comes to that try something more veggie, like 5-htp or St. John's wort. They're probably as efficient as any ssri anyway.

13. joseph Ghass
      Angelic

joseph Ghass Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2015
      You can have the antidepressant benefits from nutrition but without the side effects.

I had 10/10 T and never took one pill.

14. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Antidepressants can be helpful but each to our own with our own views and our journey with health issues.
      For me I do find antidepressants helpful due to life long health issues that are debilitating and control my life .
      Sever asthma under the hospital sever asthma unit, sever Bilateral tinnitus,menieres and depression .
      They keep me on a positive path even through down times.
      This drop in my mood is due to making a medication change over from two meds to one and I was expecting problems to come along but finding my dad's death hard on top as he was such a jolly character and we were very close.
      I know I will get my mojo back as the med increase builds up in my system.

As a Tinnitus Talk Ambassador I think being open with the forum on how I manage and keep going is important so you know I'm going through the same and totally understand all aspects of tinnitus and mental illness.....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    15. Vaba
      Shitfaced

Vaba Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Gradual, Progressive
      People say that the world is somewhere in the middle, a shade of gray, but gray is made of black and white.

• Funny Funny x 1
    16. Andrea White
      Artistic

Andrea White Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not known, probably regular ear cleansing/syringing
      Hello All

I am trying Amtriptyline Tapering upwards from 25g to 100g per day. It seemed fine at 50mg, but at 100mg T is much more pronounced although I feel fine. But I still don't like T to be so loud - so I am tapering back down to 50mg per day to see if this helps. Otherwise, I will have to revert to Plan B - Mirtazapine then Clonazapem, then Cyclobenzaprine - I found all this looking at PUBMED clinical trials,

Anybody got anything to add about my Plan B suggestions?

17. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Andrea White .
      AD's can spike tinnitus till your brain adapts over 6-8 weeks and with increased doses but finding the best one for you can take a bit of juggling around but make sure you taper slow due to withdrawals and insomnia.
      Some AD's help sleep but some can cause lack of sleep so get all the information you can on them to help you be aware of them.
      My AD's won't help sleep... lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 2
    18. Andrea White
      Artistic

Andrea White Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not known, probably regular ear cleansing/syringing
      @glynis-harbron

Thank you for giving me good advice - I will carry on with the Amitriptyline for a few weeks to see what happens. I realise that everyone is different, so we will be on our own clinical trials!