Antiviral Medication (Acyclovir)?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Natalie Roberts, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      Hello everyone! It's been a few days since I've been on this site. Here I am again! My tinnitus has been so quiet and managable since delivering almost 2 weeks ago. Some days it's so quiet it doesn't bother me at all and even when it is louder it isn't causing me as much distress.

However this weekend I got a scare that my two older daughters could have chicken pox which is extremely dangerous for a newborn.. They drew all of our blood at the urgent care to determine my immunity (for the baby's sake) and to determine if it is in fact chicken pox.. They also started me and my two older daughters on an antiviral medication called acyclovir to be proactive in case it is chicken pox. The medicine supposedly reduces the severity of the virus and the risk of transmission.. The dosage is high and of course I worry about anything I put into my body worsening my tinnitus but it was for my baby so I've been taking it like prescribed. My tinnitus has been worse since going to the dr and hasn't given me a break since then two days ago. My left ear also feel somewhat fuller since starting the medication but I don't know if it's in my head or not..

I can't find anything online about the acyclovir and tinnitus being linked but I am still concerned obviously. I know they prescribe it to treat Ménière's disease so I'm assuming it's okay. Does anyone know anything about the safety of this drug?

I'm so stressed out about all this guys! So worried about the baby :(

2. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acyclovir is a pretty safe drug; it's specific for herpes viral RNA, and doesn't do much in the body aside from preventing herpes from replicating. Anecdotally, I've taken it with no effect on my tinnitus one way or the other.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      Thanks @linearb . My T just seems louder since I started it but again, could be all in my head..