Any Solution to Completely Suppress High-Frequency Pulsing Sounds?

Discussion in 'Support' started by akaspin, Jun 29, 2019.

1. akaspin

akaspin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hyperacusis mild hearing loss
      Hi! I'm new to this topic and not sure that this is the right place. Anyway.

Is there a solution to completely suppress all high-frequency and pulsing sounds but still be able to hear voices during the daytime? Passive earplugs or earmuffs don't work for me because I'm reacting to sounds like grasshopper chatter regardless of loudness. For now the quick and dirty solution is slim-fit foam earplugs combined with noise cancelling headphones (Bose QC35). But this setup is of course not suitable for bike racing :)

My case is that since my early childhood I have had very strong reaction to any repetitive high frequency sounds like a baby crying or chewing. Very high frequency sounds cause acute pain around my ears. I did not pay attention to this, because I simply thought that I had a bad temper and tried to be more tolerant. I've always used earplugs for sleeping. But, due to high blood pressure, I was forced to abandon them. Now it is very hot in Berlin and a damned cricket settled in the yard. I suspect that this was the last straw.

From the end of the May I have had high-pitch tone in left ear. Unfortunately because of my incompetence I had a visit to ENT just two weeks later. Audiogram showed mild hearing loss in one ear. Now I'm taking prednisolone course. The tone has become lower and has begun to change the tone and loudness in random manner. I found that my tinnitus is reactive to sounds. All tones are gone in one-two hours if I calmed down and completely isolated myself from any external sounds. I completely understand that I'm in the "mid-phase" at this moment. I'm "overclocked" by steroids and other medicines and cure will take long time. But as any engineer I'm investigating for daytime solutions for the recovery period.

As I wrote passive solutions do not works. Active earplugs like Etymotic do not as well because they shape sounds instead of canceling them.
      I tried noise cancelling earbuds (Bose QC30) in MediaMarkt and they also do not because they cancel too much voices and don't provide enough passive isolation.
      I found two consumer solutions: Bose Hearphones and Nuheara IQBuds Boost. First is unavailable in Europe. Second is ordered but I don't know if they will work or not.
      Finally I Googled about hearing aids (Phonak, Widex...). All costs a lot. Maybe in combination with custom earmolds they will be suitable. But I don't know about active noise cancelling.

Does anyone have any experience or ideas on this issue?