Anybody Else Whose Tinnitus Was Caused by Someone Else?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Alue, Mar 13, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. Alue

Alue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I've talked with a couple people whose tinnitus was caused by someone else's actions. Was your tinnitus caused by someone else? Was it intentional or accidental? How severe is it? How do you move on when you know your quality of life has been seriously altered by someone else and you are constantly reminded of it every waking moment?

2. Dana
      Chicken

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not known, too many possible causes
      Yes
      I haven't.

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. Alue

Alue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      What caused it? Were they apologetic? I was going to PM you if you don't like talking about it publicly, but your profile is blocked.

4. Dana
      Chicken

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not known, too many possible causes
      I never intended to block anybody to message me, it was a mistake that remained since I played with some settings, but I fixed it.

5. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      A loud band made my tinnitus a lot worse, but my wife and friends were with me at the show and didn't have serious problems as a result.

Blaming other people is pointless. I lost years to drugs I shouldn't have been prescribed in the first place, but, again, blaming other people is pointless.

Life is, what it is, right now, in this moment. All I strive for is to accept the current moment as it passes.

6. TinThom

TinThom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concussion
      I was hit during pickup basketball game and the person who did it doesnt know how badly injured I am. I think it was an accident and I don't blame him. If anything, it's hard knowing that all I would have had to do to not have this problem is not join the game that day.

7. Owen
      Disappointed

Owen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unclear. Inflammatory allergic reaction/AIED
      Mine was caused by the failure of doctors to identify that I was allergic to a drug they prescribed for me, despite showing symptoms that although rare, are listed as possibilities. I repeatedly asked if that could be the source of it starting and was repeatedly told no and that I could not come off it, otherwise serious health problems would result.

In the end, I was the one that made the call and switched to something else - something that my local doctors do not and will not support, so I am totally on my own. In the hands of the professionals, I genuinely believe I would be deaf by now. It is only since stopping it that I have seen improvements in my hearing, but it is incredibly slow.

More than anything, I feel huge regret that I didn't trust my own instincts and stop as soon as problems started, rather than carry on, based on the advice of others - had I done so, I very much doubt I would be where I am today and would never have even found this forum. I had my suspicions that it was the cause, but allowed others to persuade me otherwise.

Long term, I probably have been far less trusting of others and moreover, I have almost no faith left in medical professionals.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. Alue

Alue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Blaming a loud band isn't what I'm talking about here, you could leave or wear earplugs. If someone discharges a loud noise right next to your ear without warning, that's a little different than being at a concert.

Sure the result may be the same, but it's like being in an accident and getting injured because you weren't wearing your seatbelt vs getting hit by a drunk driver even though you did everything right and drove safely.

9. Zora
      Kick ass

Zora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1st time: Megaphone ;2nd time: headphones too loud
      Yup. The first time I got T my friend screamed in my ear via a megaphone (mainly left ear) . After that I had T at a 10 for like 4 days and then it calmed down to 0. I listened to headphones too loud in december, and got tinnitus again, this time it is here to stay I feel like. My left ear is louder than my right ear, thanks to the megaphone incident by my friend. Im not mad at her. We were young, uneducated and didnt know the consequences

• Hug Hug x 1