Anyone Else Highly Affected by Tinny Sounds from Cheap Sound Systems?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Marc22, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Marc22
      Wtf

Marc22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      exposure to broken muffler noise
      Well I am in the middle of a serious setback since last night. Every sound is a small torture, including air going up my noise, water from the tap etc... I suppose everyone here knows what I am talking about. What happened is that I listened to some music for about 3 minutes in all, at a low volume, from speakers coming out of a computer. I knew I should not have done it because I have had some serious past setbacks for the same reason. Yet I still did it. Why? Well I love some types of music and I never get to listen to any, and I miss it dearly. So I chanced it. Big mistake. I do not know now how long it will take to recover. Recover I will, but it could take 2 days...or two months. And I was already in a bad period. And with some possible serious noise challenges coming up with construction near me.

I have no good sound system from which I MAY be able to listen for a while. Any sound coming out of cheap speakers, whether from a radio, a CD player, a computer, or voices from a smartphone kill my ears fast. Why, I do not know. I mean I could put up with loud trucks passing by for 5 minutes, but these tinny noises do me right in fast. Does that happen to any of you also?

Marco

• Like Like x 1
    2. Krolo

Krolo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1999 , Worse in September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Volume
      @Marc22
      I have a similar issue. Also today my H has gotten even weirder. 3rd day of getting worse. don´t know if i need to just let my ears be without any sound or if not. How do you manage to come back from the H?

3. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      yep

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      No, I have not experienced that. And I listen to maskers and music A LOT on my computer which has pretty crappy speakers,

5. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      Agreed. Cheap speakers hurt.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Sander-GT

Sander-GT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head injury, concussion
      This sounds like me. Cheap little radios, the high frequency sound of a monitor are killers for me.

Makes my tinnitus much worse, like a power drill by my ear.

And then afterwards I’ll get tinnitus spikes for a time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marc22
      Wtf

Marc22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi everyone:

Thank you for your replies.

Sorry that I did not get back earlier, but no one had replied for many days after I posted so I no longer checked. It is just by luck that I stumbled upon you replies today. (Are delays like that common here? :) )

Well, good news, the setback caused by listening for 3 minutes to some wonderful music low on cheap speakers lasted only a week! What relief. In the past ,such setbacks have lasted months sometimes. Although, I must admit, my ears are still tender in that I am less resilient to new smaller setbacks. But I am relatively OK now. I hope that inspires and relieves others, especially KarelK.

KarelK, there is now actual precise way I came back. I just let my ears recuperate on their own to a tolerable level (as they usually do, 99% of the time), while avoiding new loud noises, and hoping not to get exposed to inadvertent hits, which can also happen. Usually that works, but sometimes it takes a long time. This time it did not! Good luck to you!

Marco

8. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      I have very good sound system with surround sound in every room...but i never watch movies over 20% volume and if i do...i wear ear muffs

Sometimes i sit in the closet with doors closed and i just peek out a crack If i want to experience ULTRA loud home theater system without compromising my hearing at the same time lol

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marc22
      Wtf

Marc22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Coffeee Girl:

Do you notice a difference between cheap systems and your good surround sound? I hope one day to get a good system but I am going to have to try some system out gradually before buying it, but I don't know if I can get someone to let me do that on their system. Certainly a store would not let me. Anyways, I really miss music!

A few days ago , while in a drunken state, I listened to some music on my lady friend's smartphone. Imagine ! How stupid! After so many bad setbacks and I do that. Luckily the setback from that only lasted a day. Her phone is not as bad as other systems. Maybe that is why. But it still got to me a little yesterday while she was near me on the phone, so I stepped a away fast. All that after having to leave a dinner she organised for me and 4 other people. I thought her boyfriend knew that I could not listen to music on this other cheap system, and he refused to turn it off. So I left. My lady friend said to stay, and I said I did not want to be a bother, and it looks like her boyfriend did not want to be bothered. She was kinda mad that I would not stay after the trouble she went to. But what could I do!? What a drag having to navigate this noisy world with h. and some insensitive people. 23 years now But on the whole ,people have been pretty good.

Marco