Anyone Got Tinnitus Worse in One Ear Than the Other?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Karl28, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Karl28
      No Mood

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones
      I got this this year.
      My left ear is now worse / louder then my right.
      Its so annoying because its like my tinnitus is now uneven.

2. Teri
      Caffeine

Teri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2014
      My left ear is worse than my right. I also have noise in my head.

3. Jptsr1

Jptsr1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1992
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music, Guns, Q-Tips
      I have tone T in my left ear (2 tones actually) with tone and pulsatile T in my right. The tone in my right ear is single and faint.

4. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      I'm severely deaf in my right ear, so most all the high & mid-range frequencies have been wiped out. 65-75 db loss, from 2-8K, standard test. I know it's probably wiped out all the way to 18K or so. I hear zero high frequency.

All those missing frequencies, are trying to be reproduced by my brain, in a cacophony of hissing, buzzing & ringing, louder than waves crashing on the beach. Basically unmaskable noise. Quiet rooms come alive, with the din of unbelievable electrical noises, enough to cover up a fairly loud TV or stereo. (Which have become basically impossible to listen to now.)

My left ear is perfect, so half my head is buzzing & hissing away, like a hundred vipers and canaries in a barrel and the other clear. I don't recognize my voice anymore, because it sounds like I'm talking into tin can, with a bad head cold, even with a hearing aid in. It's maddening to say the least. };-(

• Hug Hug x 4
    5. John G

John G Member

Mine is louder in the left ear.

6. liquefact
      Balanced

liquefact Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/25/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Indoor Rock Concert
      Mine is louder in the right. The audiogram says no hearing loss but autoacoustic test show sudden drop (~15db) after ~7K until 9K in my right. There's a drop around the same region in the left but around 5-10 db.

7. Tamika
      No Mood

Tamika Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One loud indoor concert
      My T is worse on my left. This corresponds with more damage/hearing loss in left ear which happened overnight and did not return. I have more damage on my left side due to the direction the sounds were coming from (amp position and drums) at the 2 hour concert I attended.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Mine is only in my left ear. Loud as well. Nothing in my right ear! You can't get any more uneven than that.

9. Mark T
      Curious

Mark T Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept 2012
      Same here left ear is noisy and loud, right ear I can sometimes hear some noise. Maybe I have always had a bit of noise in my right, but cause I am more aware of the noises in my head I am overly looking for problems. Who knows.

10. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      It appears so far in this post, left ears fail more than right ears? I use to think, my right ear was exposed to more direct, loud noises, because I'm right handed. Using power tools, leaf blowers, power washers, chain saws, etc., all skewed noise to my right side. However, using earbuds, headphones, being in loud concerts or clubs, etc., exposed both my ears to the same amount of noise. Guess my left ear is stronger than my right, or as some doctors think, it was a viral attack.
      I'll never really know.

11. Sgguy46
      Jaded

Sgguy46 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      My right ear has two tones. A screaming tea kettle which comes every few miNutes and a sea of crickets. The left ear only has crickets. Strange.

But the worse things are the headaches and ear pains... anyone else have them?

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. Andersson
      Worried

Andersson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      My left side is the bad one. Dogwhistle loud and Morse code Fast clinging behind the ear. My right I have the typical TV tone. Very quite only hear it when super quite or focus on it.

The morse code gets way worse the worse my anxiety is. It clings faster and behaves very odd.