Anyone Have Tinnitus in Their Head?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sparkle92, Jun 16, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. Sparkle92

Sparkle92 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/16, constant since 3/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus, Allergies, TMJ, Stress
      My tinnitus primarily comes from the left side of my head, it's multiple tones and its fainter on the right side. Does anyone know about this? Can this be related more to circulation or posture? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. HighStrung

HighStrung Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Mine is usually stronger on one side than the other, and often responds to my posture. It tends to get worse when sitting or especially lying down. Sometimes it will switch ears for some reason.

3. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      Mine is exactly same as yours. In the brain, not the ears. It is strong in the left and multiple electrical sound inside of my head.

4. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Mine fills my head and is in my ears as well.

5. rid0871

rid0871 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      may of 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      had my neck adjusted
      same mine is in the head

6. Stakovic

Stakovic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Mine is in my head since 1999

7. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      Same as mine.

8. Alue

Alue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yes, mine is this ultra high pitched buzzing mosly in my head. It does get louder if I plug my ears.
      It's worse on the left side (that was the side facing my acoustic trauma).

9. Sparkle92

Sparkle92 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Can I ask did anyone habituate to it? I'm in the process of getting an MRI done to rule things out

10. Owen
      Disappointed

Owen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unclear. Inflammatory allergic reaction/AIED
      In my right ear as an intermittent Morse code/ring - varying in intensity and made worse by lying down.
      Also, faintly in my head as a gas leak sound, but weirdly slightly to the left of centre?!?!? In some ways, it is as much a sensation as a sound.

11. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      Almost 5 months for me. No habituation here.

12. Booger
      Psychedelic

Booger Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      My tinnitus seems to be healing, but I've also habituated to hearing it. It only bothers me when it's accompanied by a sort of piercing, achey pain in my ears, and then it's the pain bothering me more than the noise.

13. John G

John G Member

Same

14. shadbek

shadbek Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Mine is in the head

15. Vaba
      Shitfaced

Vaba Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Gradual, Progressive
      Mine is only in my ears. It makes me feel extremely off-balance, and the left side of my face (including my mouth and the left half of my tongue) is ALWAYS slightly numb.

16. Marlino
      Cowboy

Marlino Member Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      For me it seems hard to tell. But interestingly on my good days it's like a hiss in the brain or at least both ears and a very high pitched but distant sizzling, which is highly annoying but can fortunately be masked by daily activities. It rather to feel it then as to hear. After sex on a good day it might can happen that even this sizzling is gone for a couple of minutes and these are my lucky moments.

On a bad day it's pretty much left ear but drilling into my brain so much that it's a pain like a bad headache. It's just about survival. Only cicada app helps me then. Somehow inhibits it more than masks it. But on particularly bad days like today it's only partially helping.

So who knows where it originates from... I gonna take part in a study here at university to look for abnormal neuronal behavior. Animal models seemed to show that's there are markers for T you can trace. Getting a fMRT and have to give biodynamic liquids (cortisol check). It's ground work but maybe in 50 years the mystery will be solved.

17. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April /1996
      @Sparkle92 Tinnitus comes from the head not the ears although there is the feeling that the noise comes from the head and ears. The cochlear (in the inner ear) sends the electrical signals to the part of the brain called the limbic system. It is here that the tinnitus noise is generated and comes from.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    18. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      Mine started in my left ear now it seems more centered in my head.

19. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      It's in your head because the brain is sending out the noise.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    20. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      I don't think anybody can say with certainty that your type of tinnitus is related to anything specifically...why an asymmetry would exist left to right with your tinnitus.. Mine is just like yours btw. Mostly a shrill high frequency almost hiss in my left ear...interspersed with different tones depending on how the moons are aligned ;) and my right ear is generally quieter. My T ranges from what I consider moderate to mild. For example I woke up this morning with moderate T and during the morning it subsided quite a bit and was barely audible and forgot about it a lot of the time. When my T subsides to almost being inaudible, I generally think...hmmm, is it going to go away this time completely?...I mean, its damn close to not being there. But no, it always returns and sometimes its pretty frisky. Honestly, I have learned to somewhat accept it. I am not plussed when it gets louder because it always subsides again and I get some quiet-er time. Now maybe this may disappear and my tinnitus may stay louder and if it does, I will have to deal with that... but generally I am a positive guy and choose hopefulness in the face of uncertainty. That's how it goes with me.

Posture for me maybe in the equation. I am a serious cyclist and spend a fair amount of time on a drop bar racing bike with my head down and with neck extension for aerodynamics and to see the road. Road cycling with an aggressive position for speed isn't friendly to blood flow through the base of the neck but I can't say with certainty that is the single root cause of my tinnitus. It is probably just a contributor...perhaps one of several. I have ridden for decades without tinnitus.

Maybe trying to find a cause for given tinnitus has a place, but I haven't heard much success from those that have pursued identifying the 'cause' of their tinnitus. Perhaps it is identifiable once in a while...like a loud noise, or a known infection...but it maybe a perfect storm of environmental and genetic factors...human physiology changing with age for example.

Best of luck

• Like Like x 1
    21. Sparkle92

Sparkle92 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @stophiss you explained the type of T I have perfectly. Some days are louder than others with multiple tones and then some days I think it will go away too since it's so quiet, I can't pin point any changes to the fluctuations. Im still in the process of getting an MRInto rule things out, I'm just afraid of making it worse since the test is so loud. I too have generally accepted it and realize it will fluctuate.

Yes I think that there are most likely several causes that contribute to this. I have had posture problems most of my life as well and think it's a contributing factor. I'm also trying diet changes like cutting out gluten and dairy since I am intolerant to both. I think lowering my stress will also help.

Best of luck to you too!

• Like Like x 1