Anyone Here with Derealization?

Discussion in 'Health Talk' started by Zora, Feb 4, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. Zora
      Kick ass

Zora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1st time: Megaphone ;2nd time: headphones too loud
      Hi Guys,

the chance is very little, but I was wondering is anyone has Derealization/Depersonalization as well??

Since I have T, my DR is sooo insanely strong. i have T since 1 Month an Dr since almost 1 year.
      But my DR is soooo crazy high like never before. T and DR is an awful combination :(

I'd just like to exchange some opinions with you :)

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hi, @Zora, I went through depersonalization in my early tinnitus days. From what I understand, DP is caused largely by anxiety. Tinnitus, especially in the beginning, can cause extreme anxiety and panic. Did for me. Hence the DP.

It indeed is a real terrible feeling -- as is extreme anxiety in general. But I will say that when I finally got my anxiety under control, my DP pretty much went away. I sometimes have little spells of it, but not often.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Zora
      Kick ass

Zora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      How did you get ur anxiety under control? i am already seeing a therapist...but it just not seems to get better.
      i am happy your dp is gone :) hows ur T?

4. Trish123

Trish123 Member

I went through this and still do on some days. Yoga and meditation helped a lot.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Husk
      Happy

Husk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Hi.

This has happened around the time I began to realize signs of Tinnitus. This type of feeling occurs once in a while for me still, but it's few and far between.

I used to have incredibly bad anxiety issues, which just worsened everything. I'll have a panic attack here and there, but it's rare as well. I've just learned over the years coping methods, and how to control it to calm myself down.

I would just recommend eating better and exercising regularly. Taking a nice, long walk in nature or something away from the normal world really helps me relax when I'm feeling anxious.

• Like Like x 1
    6. RicoS
      Confused

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress or Acoustic trauma
      I also had all kind of things and since december 2014 I got a major depression with weird anxiety symptoms. After 4 months my T became so bad and I was at the end of what I could take (I have T since june 2013 BTW) ... Since I did craniosacral therapie since oktober 2015 my T become waaaayyyy less. I also started working again only the moment I started working I got bad sensorimotor OCD which at the moment is my main struggle. I notice blinking, breathing and all other kinds of stuff that is normal. I know it is anxiety so I am losing the fear for it just like T. I also used the tVNS device but when may T became much lower I stopped using it. I also read 2 books form Julian Cowan Hill that really helped a lot. So all in all I finally doing better regarding T after 2.5 years which last year was extremely bad. With multiple new sounds but day all subsides when I start using the tVNS and craniosacral therapy (also meditation btw).
      My main issue is the result of the depression and of an anxietydisorder...but I guess it is the same as dealing with T. Losing the fear of it.... People who know me from here are aware that my T was bad......very bad .... but recently it came down very fast and I lost the fear for it. I do not know if it will come back with a vengeance so I will not post my story in the succes stories just yet but if I overcome this sensorimotor OCD and my T stays this way I will.
      My T and H were so bad for more than 1 year than I though I habituated ...after a year than got the depression and than it went to a whole nother level.....and now I am almost good to go and live my life again.

So if you have weird symptoms....a big change is that they are from anxiety....it can do a lot with you body and mind

• Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    7. RicoS
      Confused

RicoS Member Benefactor

Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress or Acoustic trauma
      Sorry for the bad spelling btw, but I was at work typing it fast :notworthy:

8. Zora
      Kick ass

Zora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you guys for your replies.
      I am doing cranio-sacral therapy already. Still not able to calm my mind.
      My Symptoms are not "weird". It is, what it is. derealization.

9. JohnnyMx
      Sunshine

JohnnyMx Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Apr/2013
      Yep I had it too.

Once in highschool for about a month.

Then again couple of years before my T became more intrusive.

Then again when my T spiked (or my brain focused more).

I have 2 "theories".

1) I have always had ear problems since childhood, maybe vestibular problems because this Depersonalization comes with diziness and tingling face.

2) Anxiety and Depression. At my worst months of anxiety, stress and depression caused by T and other personal problems, my Depersonalization was at his worst too. Once I handled my anxiety, depression (just relaxing and coping methods, CERO drugs) its just went away.

I sometimes get it, when i drink coffee or are very tired. Funny, it always comes with my T being louder.

I'm already habituated to my T, using only positive thinking. But I have all my life being super active mentally, super anxious (not with fear, but feeling always hyperactive mentally).

I recommend you this a) Keep looking for a treatment for your Tinnitus, BUT DONT LOOK FOR A CURE!, just be courious around what type of Tinnitus you have, and how you can protect from more problems, and how you can help your mind and body to fight better (supplements, exersice, diet, etc) and b) AND MORE IMPORTANT, if you have anxiety and depression treat them now, also recommend you do it with positive thinking, mindfullness and habituation... Only use drugs if needed and with a Doctor assistance, BUT ONLY if it is the last resort.

Tinnitus and Anxiety-Depression is like the chicken and egg dilemma... Tinnitus gives you Anxiety, Anxiety gives you Depression and Depression + Anxiety gives you more Tinnitus.... this circle can be stopped treating anxiety and depression first, and accepting your Tinnitus (but keep searching for things that can make it easier).

Regards!
      Johnny.

PD: For all. I have been reading alot of T stories, and many, many of us have had mental issues in the past... I'm not talking about being crazy, just talking about people with Anxiety, Depression, Hyperactivity and Attention Defficit (my case), Hypochondriac, Desrealization, Stress.... I Think that brains with alot of activity are more likely to get T... just another theory.

• Agree Agree x 2
    10. Zora
      Kick ass

Zora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      thank you @JohnnyMx !!
      thats really interesting.
      I hope my Dr will go away one day...although I doubt it.

Yes, DR/DP is a form of strong anxiety.

I had DR since almost 1 year. I started therapy 4 months ago, and I have T since 1 month.

I agree with ur theory cocerning that a lot of people hat mental health issues before getting T.

positive thinking seems really hard atm :(

and I am so impatient concerning meditation.
      my brain is on constant high alert concernibg the DR

• Hug Hug x 2
    11. JohnnyMx
      Sunshine

JohnnyMx Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Apr/2013
      Don't worry, things will improve for sure.

I lost a full year of my life, depressed, high anxiety, daily despersonalization, with no hope in the future.

With anxiety and depression things improve really slow in the beggining, but any little improvement/step you make everyday is a huge win.

I was more than a year completely defeated, then in maybe 2 months that i started to fight back I started to recover hope. And then in another 2 months I was again enjoying little things.

Now I'm almost back to life... and i say almost because I have another health problems that need to fix first in order to feel full.

Keep fighting! :),
      Johnny.

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. CapedCrusader2
      Inspired

CapedCrusader2 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress/Anxiety
      I had depersonalization for about a month close to a year ago. That was before my tinnitus though. Mine started after smoking too much pot and getting really high during a time in my life where I was very anxious/depressed... It lasted about a month and finally cleared up when I filled my life with fun activities every day. I can't relate to your situation 100%, but I do know that detached feeling of depersonalization. My only advice is to keep busy doing the things you enjoy! It's very beatable!

• Like Like x 1
    13. Charlie396

Charlie396 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Derealization/Depersonalization suffer checking in. 2 horrific years to be exact.

In my opinion tinnitus is shit compared to it.

14. Zora
      Kick ass

Zora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes I got my DR from smoking weed in a situation when Imwas really anxious. @Charlie396 do you still have it?
      I find Tinnitus worse bc as crapedcrusader said, its very beatable, Tinnitus is not!

15. jessiev94

jessiev94 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Yes I have both ): it's awful.

• Hug Hug x 2
    16. Charlie396

Charlie396 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Yeah it's still going strong.