Are Anxiety Pills Good for Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JodieStephens, Aug 19, 2017.

?

Are Anxiety Pills Good for Tinnitus?

1. Yes

2. No

3. Depends

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. JodieStephens

JodieStephens Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I don't want to get addicted but it's become so bad that I need anxiety pills for my tinnitus.

Will they hurt me? Will they help? Or do they just worsen tinnitus when you try to get off the pills?

I have been prescribed clonazepam.

• Creative Creative x 1
    2. canuhearmenow
      Musical

canuhearmenow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drug Induced
      I can't comment on the pros and cons of taking benzos for tinnitus, having never taken them for that purpose. If you find it helps your tinnitus and have a good doctor then that sounds like a good plan.

I can speak from experience on how difficult it is to come off benzos, having been prescribed clonazepam for anxiety and tapered myself off successfully, and having gone cold turkey from them.

Assuming you have a doctor that knows enough to not just stop writing a script and you have pills to work with, it is a long process involving shaving down pills into smaller sizes to slowly reduce your dosage every 3-5 days, depending on your tolerance for possible side effects like tingling in the legs and feet, RLS, etc. I had a relatively easy time of it but extended my taper over a period of 3 weeks to come off a dosage of 1mg a day.

On the other hand, if your doctor is not knowledgeable on the subject, just stops writing your script and you have to kick a habit cold turkey, each day will be a thousand times worse than your worst day of tinnitus, you might go days without sleep, and it could take a month to clear your system..

I'm not trying to dissuade or frighten you, I just want you to be aware of the ramifications of becoming addicted/dependent on benzos.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. George Brady
      Crappy

George Brady Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      bad meds
      If it stops my anxiety and panic attacks I would take one the size of a donut who cares if they say you will get addicted I have to take care of my self right now from going insane

4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @JodieStephens

Tinnitus comes in many different forms and intensities and no two people experience it the same. When it is severe it can impact on a person's mental wellbeing quite severely. Sometimes medications are necessary to help a person cope and see them through a difficult patch. I was prescribed clonazepam in 2010 as my tinnitus is variable in intensity and can reach severe levels. I was monitored by my GP and ENT consultant on the amount I take. Seven years on I only take it when my tinnitus reaches severe levels usually for not more than 3 days. It reduces my tinnitus to complete silence. I haven't had any adverse effects taking clonazepam and found it very helpful when nothing else worked. Please click on the links as the bottom of the page and read the posts as you might find them. helpful.

I hope that you start to feel better soon.
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-and-mental-health.21978/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-and-mental-health.21978/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/can-tinnitus-counselling-help.22366/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/is-positivity-important.23150/

5. Amiel

Amiel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      @RaZaH's tinnitus started after he stopped taking clonazepam! AVOID!

6. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I advise you to take the clonazepam @JodieStephens as it can be helpful. Properly managed by your GP I don't think you will have any problems. Tinnitus can seriously affect a person's mental health when it is severe. Those that tell you to avoid this medication or any other that your Dr has advised. Please remember when you are in the suffering and finding it difficult to cope, these people are not with you to hold your hand or to ease your suffering. Medications can certainly help with tinnitus when nothing else will because there aren't many options available. Please think carefully if you decide not to follow your doctor's advice.

I wish you well
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    7. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @JodieStephens I understand. Before you start to use your medications, research this board in the search box above using keywords. Some keywords would be clonazepam, anxiety drugs, benzos, taper and withdrawal . Then I would research the net with the same keywords, but include the word tinnitus in your search. I have no clear advice, because it's a catch 22 situation. Place into Google - benzobuddies, but use the keyword tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    8. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Meds are very helpful for some people. But do understand, that they could have side effects. If you are ok with this, then give it a go...

9. Dmitriy
      Relaxed

Dmitriy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gunshot Exposure
      I've been thinking about this as well. I have T plus going through a bout of acid reflux that is impacting my breathing. Because of all of this I have A that also impacts breathing. On top of everything I have really a lot of stress of work. At this point I don't know if symptoms are causing A or vice versa. I am really anti-pills of any kind aside from some multivitamins and Nexium I am taking for reflux. I try to destress naturally - walking, swimming, TV, family, friends. It's when you are doing nothing and are alone with your thoughts that A comes out in full strength.

I think that if A is noticeably ruining your life then you have to take back control with medication.