Are Electric Hair Cutters Dangerous?

Discussion in 'Support' started by chaLLas, Jan 3, 2019.

1. chaLLas
      Doubtful

chaLLas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced (multiple acoustic incidents)
      I am a bald man with few and short hair. Too short to cut it with a scissor. So I always used an electric hair cutter once in a month. Of course, that was pre tinnitus.

Now I got a new machine that says 60 dB max. and low vibration. But I am still panicking when using it on my head. It is still pretty loud (especially when you get close to the ears) and the vibration feels awful (bone conduction and occlusion effect make earplugs usage seem pointless).

Letting the hair grow longer so scissors can be used would be my last option ... it just looks terrible on me^^

Shaving it off is also not a good idea because my scalp is very sensitive.

How do you get your haircuts done if machinery needs to be used? Can you recommend silent methods for bald men? :D

2. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      I shave my face with an electric hair cutter + used to cut my hair (close-cropped) with one as well, and had zero issues over the years.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Can't you use a razor to shave?

There had been multiple posts here made by people who got spikes after being exposed to the noise from electric hair cutters at a barber shop.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      chaLLas
      Doubtful

chaLLas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I tried that with different shaving foam, since my scalp is very sensitive it gets very irritated through that. I am having red bumps all over my head for weeks after that ... not very nice with a bald head. But if I have to choose between that or constant tinnitus worsening ... I maybe should think twice about it

5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Some things that you might try: shave after a long hot shower; move the razor very slowly when you shave; use a brand new razor blade.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      The guy who cuts my hair recently purchased a cordless hair trimmer and it's twice as loud than his corded model. Needless to say, I asked him to use his old trimmer on me.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Could try a hair removal cream, but I have no experience with it.

https://health.howstuffworks.com/skin-care/beauty/hair-removal/hair-removal-creams1.htm

I still use an electric razor, and have issues with shaving with a blade as well. I have been using the ear plugs with it as if I put it right next to my smartphone app, it comes up at 92 db's. The ear plugs don't work great due to direct bone conduction, but they reduced the volume more than I would have guessed, and help quite a bit when using the side trimmer that is even louder, but I only touch the sideburns and don't use it on my face, and also when shaving the front of my face and neck.

I have also learned that a rotary shaver (Norelco) is quieter than the foil type (Remington).

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    8. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

kelpiemsp Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      birth/ recent spike 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with ETD, several acoustic traumas, most recently ETD
      • Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      chaLLas
      Doubtful

chaLLas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for all your replies. I will see if I can get a corded trimmer that is silent and has low vibrations. Maybe then I can endure the process with plugs. If that won't work, I will try to shave it with a razor. I might also test the hair removal cream, but I am skeptical about using such chemicals.

10. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      I have a hair clipper not overly loud but I don't feel comfortable when it's too close to the ears - so I use solid silicone earplugs and never had issues

• Like Like x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      chaLLas
      Doubtful

chaLLas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Interesting. If I could just use plugs, I would not pannick either. But I am so afraid about the occlusion effect. I inserted plugs and just gently put the trimmer on my neck to test it ... and the vibrations really made me anxious. It was humming really loud in my hears due to the occlusion effect. Do you not experience that?

12. Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The occlusion effect is not something to worry here

Never saw a post where someone claimed permanent damaged due to this effect

Unless you scream for hours perhaps

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    13. Bobby B
      Fine

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Or use earmuffs inverted if you prefer

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      chaLLas
      Doubtful

chaLLas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you, haven't thought about wearing earmuffs inverted, I will give that a go :)

15. Arseny
      Wishful

Arseny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly from problems with blood flow
      I have this trimmer. It's not perfect, but it does the job. Vibrations are minimal since the trimmer is not connected to the engine directly. Sorry I don't know how to explain this properly, you can see this in the picture.

I had to shave my head twice in my life before for several months. I tried shaving my head with razor. I honestly think this is the best way. You look very cool with a clean shaven head instead of some stubble especially if you're balding.

You have to first apply hot towel to your head for several minutes. You can only shave once against the grain and then 1-2 times along the grain to clean off some hairs. Otherwise you'll get irritation.
      Regarding "red bumps" do you have problems with acne? You shouldn't get them unless you have very oily skin on your head or an internal infection. Do you have chronic sinus infection or tonsillitis? It might be a source of an infection that gives you these "red bumps".

96-200-519-Z06.jpg

16. jasonbourne

jasonbourne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      Government officials use people like op to push the idea that tinnitus is a mental condition. I don't blame them at this point.

17. KF81

KF81 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bedroom Dj'ing Using Headphones (Cheap Ones)
      I have the same problem, have you found a solution that works... ?

Thanks