Are Gyms Bad for Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Apocalypse77, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (go-kart racing)
      I stopped playing basket ball last year. I am thinking that I will start going to the gym (4 times a week).

Are gyms too loud, so should i think of a different hobby?

2. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      If you have hyperacusis, then the gym can be very annoying. It all depends on what you plan on doing in the gym. Almost all the activities will make some kind of noise in the gym. You can always give it a shot, but carry your ear plugs/protect your ears if you need to.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. orbiter12

orbiter12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud club
      Most people say they're fine in the gym, but personally it has spiked my tinnitus even after wearing 27db foam plugs.

• Like Like x 2
    4. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Oh please...get your butt back to the gym!!!! That is important. If the gym is too loud wear over the ear bose type noise cancelling headphones. Yes. I believe in using headphones in this type of situation.

I go to my gym every single morning. I use my bose headset and listen to my music therapy while I run on the treadmill.

This has improved my life 100 percent.

I avoid the loud classes. I wear the headset in the weight room because someone is always clanking weights around.

And I have very loud tinnitus.

Life goes on with small changes.

• Like Like x 2
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @fishbone My T spikes everytime after jogging and used to spike when I played basket ball.

@orbiter12 were these spikes that you got/get temporary?

@Starthrower I have bose noise cancelling headphones too. I brought them today to school because after school I will head out to the gym. :)

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ok the gym was great, but the music was loud I had my noise cancelling headphones on but still got a spike.

7. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      Spike might be from physical activity, not noise. Such spikes are always temporary.

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Apocalypse77
      Loved

Apocalypse77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/8/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The music was probably at a 94 dB volume. I damaged my hearing, I can't even enjoy life. I can't go to gym.

I don't want to come to this site everyday but I just have to. I am so fed up with this world.

My T is not that loud. But when it spikes it is super irritating.

9. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      It is really great you went to the gym! Yes the gyms can be loud but with the protection it helps quite a bit. Apocalypse, as the saying goes "spikes happen".

I am just glad and proud of you to have made that effort. If it is too uncomfortable than you decide what is okay for you.

I remember back in the first year or so being afraid of everything in the outside world. So your feelings are very much understood. It took me time to just be able to park my truck and walk to the store. People opening their car doors with the beep sounds....sirens... everything.

I guess it just took some time for me to understand spikes from reasonable activities are temporary. A pain in the ass but life goes on and it is better to get out and do stuff.

There are things I don't do. No movie theaters. No dinners out in noisy places. I had to leave a place recently because I knew the noise level was way to high for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Probably? Or a decibel meter showed 94 dB?

I find that I often think an environment is higher than it actually is simply because I'm more sensitive to noise. A lawnmower is around 90 dB. Were all of the employees wearing hearing protection? Or anyone else working out? OSHA guidelines only allow an hour of exposure to that volume without hearing protection.

11. Vicki14
      Panicky

Vicki14 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      I think it all depends when you go... in peak times yes, just be mindful of burly guys dropping heaving weights. I get irritated by folk shutting which sounds like slamming lockers. It's a good stress relief so long you don't feel your ducking and diving... that only frustrates me more!!!

12. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      i found the gym annoyingly loud but thats bc i suffered with h