Are Old Traditions Dying Out?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by glynis, Dec 19, 2015.

1. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Has anyone had any Christmas Carol singers so far this Christmas time?.....lots of love glynis

2. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      @glynis . Hi mother Glynis . Answer to that is no. It's not like it was years back. I won't be carol singing at your door. lol but merry Christmas to you and your family.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Richard zurowski ,
      Hi son,well I've been singing round the house to Christmas songs.....lol.
      Have a lovely Christmas and your family.
      Will be popping on here over Christmas to help out but will be away New year.
      Lots of love glynis

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. John G

John G Member

I couldnt even imagine doing xmas carols door to door nowadays,probably get shot..lol

• Like Like x 1
    5. derpytia
      Pooptoast

derpytia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014 (many increases since then)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Progressive hearing loss / noise / ETD
      I used to when I was younger. I know my church does them but I don't sing anymore due to T.

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. Fungus
      Dreaming

Fungus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus?
      Haven't seen carol singers for over 20 years (but I have lived out-in-the sticks for the last 10).

There is a move nearby here to revive a few old regional traditions including the Marie Llwyd (grey mare). This is essentially a horses skull with a cloth around the head and ribbons etc decorating it. The accompanying procession knock on a door and, when the door is opened they recite poems etc. The occupants then have to recite poems back, and if the poems don't come up to scratch( or even if they do!), all the procession go into the house and have to be given drinks. And so on to the next house, essentially until they fall over. Well, that's a bit of a misinterpretation of the whole thing, but sounds good.

We have all become a little too safety conscious to enjoy many of the primitive traditions, but I DO remember loving carol singing as a child.

Fungus.

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Well I am a really happy bunny as just had two young boys Carol singing at my door and made my day.
      They had a shock also as didn't know I lived here and singing to a school staff member at their school....aww bless them and gave me a hug ...lots of love glynis