Are There Any Antidepressants That Are Not Ototoxic for Tinnitus and Hyperacusis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by ruben ruiz, Jul 7, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      are there recommended depression meds that are not ototoxic?
      I appreciate input, thank you.

2. Mad maggot
      Breezy

Mad maggot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Sorry. This is probably a question for a qualified doctor. Personally I'd stay away from antidepressants if at all possible. That said, I recognise sometimes you cannot. You'd better talk to a doctor who would be more knowledgeable HOPEfully! :(;)

3. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I wouldn't take any of that shit, it's all totally toxic to your body, not just your brain/ears.

If you are cool with brain damage go for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      How do you manage you're t without meds :0

5. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I'm down to about 20mg Effexor which is pretty much nothing, I will be done with it in about a month when my taper is finished.

6. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      That's good that u don't take any ads , and all of these kinds of drugs , some of them will really fuck up youre t and make H even worse , take nac I took it and now my h is really low so U could give it s try

7. MatthijsDJ
      Mellow

MatthijsDJ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No root cause found, most likely stress...
      Effexor made my T a bit louder, but might be the anxiety.. Mirtazapine didn't affected my T, and reduces my anxiety a bit.

8. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Thanks. My H is all over the map but I've had some decent days here and there since tapering. It is definitely making a difference, I have days where my ears don't feel as full as well. I hope it keeps getting better as I continue with the taper.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    9. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      It will get better man when my t first started my h was killing me I was literally locked in my room any ambeint sound made my t screech like a mother fucker . But then I got to do hyperbaric oxygen therapy didn't do anything to my t but lowered my h and I took nac pills long with magnesium it helped a lot to now my h is at a low which and only left with t which I don't mind as Long as it doesn't screech like before , good luck !

• Like Like x 1
    10. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      Please, does someone know what anti-depressant wont cause insomnia and is not ototoxic?
      Ive looked and Im not having too much success...
      I just weened off of Effexor. Here are some notes.
      It was very difficult. 2.5 months of weening. Effexor is a capsule that is full of granules.
      A full dose was 130 granules. This allowed for a nice weening. 5 granules per three days or so.
      What was interesting was this observation. When I got down to 40 granules the med. effect was still good.
      In other words 40 still made me feel fine as opposed to 130 which was over the top. 130 knocked me for a loop.
      It was too much. Too much medication is something that a DR. rarely talks about.
      I believe weening up to an appropriate dosage is often overlooked. I had a Dr. who wanted to start me with 6 MG of Xanex per day. I said no thanks. See you later.
      Thank you for your time.

11. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      St John Wort
      Camu Camu
      Keppra can elevate mood.

12. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      the thing is that herbs which work do so because they have active compounds (eg, drugs) in them. The potential downsides to St John's Wort are not dissimilar from the downsides of any other serotonin reuptake inhibitor.

Afobazole does a good job knocking my anxiety down without being habit-forming, though I've only taken it for short periods of time. There's some evidence to indicate that it might upregulate GABA and even cause neurogenesis, though it's hard to say, limited data.

13. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Is it ototoxic though?

14. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      What, Afobazole or SJW?

St Johns Wort has a ton of different chemicals in it, some of which you might expect to have a detrimental effect on hearing -- such as hypericin, which is a quinine analog. Is it present in high enough quantities to cause a problem? Are there other chemicals in SJW which might also impact hearing? I have no idea, there are hundreds or thousands of chemicals in the plant, and they haven't all been assayed and evaluated for hearing issues.

The bar which the FDA and other agencies set for what can be marketed as a 'supplement' is astonishingly low.

15. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection

I read an article on Dr. Jeffrey Dach’s website referring to the natural mood improving qualities of St. John’s Wort [“Beating Depression Naturally“], which also should have little or no side-effects when taking the recommended daily dosage (anywhere from 300mg-900mg).

I have been feeling “down” for the last year and a half, and thought I’d give it a try (mostly due to my hearing loss and adjusting to the new me). I also suffer from severe tinnitus and recruitment.

My question is this: “Is St. John’s Wort a non-ototoxic drug/herb? Is it safe to take?” I want to improve my mood, and would prefer to find a natural method; but don’t want to make my hearing loss any worse.

Here’s the scoop. Numerous studies have shown that St. John’s Wort is at least as effective as prescription drugs in treating mild to moderate cases of depression. (Just make sure it says on the label, “standardized to 0.3% (or 0.5%) Hypericin”. Hypericin is the active ingredient. If its not standardized to that amount, you don’t have a clue what you are really getting, and are likely just wasting your money.)

St. John’s Wort really works. My wife takes it as needed and has never had any ototoxic (or other) side effects like she had with prescription drugs. I know a number of others that have had the same experience.

Now for the really good news. St. John’s Wort is not known to be ototoxic in the least. So you can take it for as long as you need to without fear of causing hearing loss, aggravating your tinnitus, making your hyperacusis worse or wrecking your balance.

I’ve suggested to a good number of people that they ask their doctors to switch them to St. John’s Wort rather than the ototoxic prescription drugs they originally took in order to prevent further ototoxic damage to their ears.

However, don’t just start taking St. John’s Wort on your own. It is always wise to run this past your doctor because St. John’s Wort is known to interact with various medications. You don’t want to cause problems due to interactions between St. John’s Wort and any other medications you might be taking.

To learn which drugs and herbs are (or can be) ototoxic, see “Ototoxic Drugs Exposed“. This book contains information on the ototoxicity of 877 drugs, 35 herbs and 148 chemicals.

16. Evian

Evian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      I think if you can stay away from AD's it may be best but I'd you are struggling then it's a difficult call. I Was on amptriptyline and zopiclone for years before my T & H started and for all I know they could have been a contributory factor also I can't just stop them now I have T as I am addicted to them, tried to come off amitryptilyne years ago and got dreadful headaches even though it's only the 10mg dose so it must do something to you if coming off caused a reaction.

I got severe T and H and Drs reaction was to put me on another AD so that would be 3 meds. No thanks I will just stay depressed !

17. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member Ambassador Team Tech

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      Try lexapro. Or citalopram.

18. BrStan@

BrStan@ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Stay away from citalopram i tried it last year for anxiety when my t was not that bad. On my second tablet i woke up at night with T i have never imagined could exist. I google it and found stories for people who never recovered from T while on it. Goole citalopram and t and you will find it. I explained this to my GP she did not believe that this is coming from this drug she told me it is my anxaiety. Thanks to god my spike did not last that long and decreased a bit but never went to complete baseline. Anyway 6 months ago i had a noise exposure and now it is nightmare again and will never go down.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. undecided
      Fine

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Try 5-htp. It roughly does what most antidepressants do without messing up your brain.
      Very good supplement.

20. Mark Beehre
      Facebooking

Mark Beehre Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2008 // 11/2014
      I take Escitalopram. I haven't had any problems as a result of this drug and I have been taking it for over a month.

21. snow86
      Surrender

snow86 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2006 - Extreme T since 12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      see "information" on profile page. Crippled by extreme T
      Citalopram, Lexapro, Effexor...Had to take them all. Destroyed my life by turning already severe T into several sounds. My T was multiplied and I haven´t recovered.
      Wish I had never seen a psychiatrist because of the T. Nail to my coffin.

Only "safe" AD for me is Mirtazapin. Seems like people with very severe T should stay away from SSRIs

• Agree Agree x 1