Are There Any Side Effects to Using Ear Drops for Ear Wax Removal?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Hariz Nonis, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm currently waiting for my turn to see the doctor for earwax removal. Most likely, I will have to make an appointment for the actual procedure, and for the time being I'll be given an ear drop to soften the wax or somethibg like that.

Will there be any side effects? My tinnitus already feels like it is louder because I can feel the wax blocking my ears at times, even moving around in my ear canal. I really hope that it doesn't do anything to make my T or hearing worse...

2. strato2009

strato2009 Member

I have used it with no side effects however once when I applied the drops it increased the tinnitus sound, if this happens just tilt your head and remove the liquid immediately. Also I think it's better to use wax remover than the big water pump method the professionals use, some people had issues after that. I've been through it never had an issue but it's not worth the risk as one hour of ear drops and mild water with mild pressure in the end to remove the residue will be as efficient

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What kinds of wax removers would you be referring to?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I just applied my first dose of olive oil into my ear canal. Now my ear feels quite blocked, so how do I let it drain out? Or will it drain out on its own? I really hope to get an answer as this is my very first time doing this.

5. Nonna
      Moonlighting

Nonna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/17/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      guess
      I lay on a heating pad. It will make your ear feel better. How much is a dose. Probably only a need a drop or two. But if you did more, it will all drain and be ok, and will make it feel better.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I had three drops. That was what was told by the clinic. I don't have a heating pad. Will resting my head on the ear that was filled help to drain it?

7. Nonna
      Moonlighting

Nonna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/17/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      guess
      Yes

• Like Like x 1
    8. Nonna
      Moonlighting

Nonna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/17/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      guess
      Get a heating pad, you'll love it

• Like Like x 1
    9. strato2009

strato2009 Member

Don't use olive oil, use specially formulated earwax removal drops such as remo-wax

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Not really easy to get 'specially formulated' ear drops here in Singapore. I could look for them, but I won't be sure if they're any good. I do have one, it contains Methyl Hydroxybenzoate and Glycerol, not sure if those make it better than olive oil.