Poll: Are You Happy?

Discussion in 'Support' started by mick1987, Nov 25, 2013.

?

Are you happy?

1. Yes (most of the time)

2. Sometimes

3. No (most of the time)

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hello everyone,

For everyone here who have habituated to tinnitus, are you happy?

I was happy with mild tinnitus, now it is louder I feel miserable again, I don't see how you can be happy with loud tinnitus.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      i'm not

3. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Funny you posted this question .i was going to create the thread with the same topic.
      My question was going to be if levels of happiness has changed after getting Tinnitus . I am sure we all have has miserable days ,but I am talking ankur baseline happiness has it changed ?
      All of us please let us know .

4. James
      No Mood

James Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Pulsing 03/2013
      Besides the lifelong effort to acquire money, imo happiness goes a long way in life.
      Lets not understate being happy. It's a good thing in life.

It was my attempt to be happy again that helped me battle my T. I just went back to the things I like, good or bad. I want to be happy. I wanted life as it was before T. I don't consider that I've tackled or habituated to my T, I just live with it, try to be distracted. I think my happiness is coming back, other things can influence it too.

I don't think you can be too happy with loud T. It's kind of miserable, but lets not let it get us down. There's too much life in all of us. What's that book? Maybe you can loose a battle, but were not loosing the war. Tomorrow's another day, (don't read the news), let's all be happy or try.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    5. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I added a poll!

But yes, I'm happy most of the time.

Has the baseline of happiness changed, maybe slightly.

First months were tougher, and a decline in happiness was more than apparent.

Gradually the level of happiness increased back to (almost) what it was before tinnitus.

Would I be happier if I didn't have tinnitus and/or a severe case of eye floaters? Definitely, but as is, I'm still enjoying life and making the most of it even with these current hindrances to the quality of my life.

These don't kill me. I have a friend who has ALS. The so-called Lou Gehrig's disease. That will cause a premature death, and he's not yet even middle-aged. It's agonizing to watch how the health of a vibrant human being has continued to decline.

Yet he has remained positive, enjoys life and the company of his family and friends. Smiles. Certainly isn't bitter.

It's amazing how much a human being can endure, and cope with - without permanently losing joy, happiness and appreciation for life.

So in comparison, my own problems feel so miniscule.

Life is wonderful. We've got only one, and every day can be the last for any of us.

• Agree x 7
      • Winner x 7
      • Like x 5
      • Hug x 3
      • Optimistic x 3
    6. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Well said Markku, i guess i am saying my level of happiness is same because i dont have crazy spike like i did while back. Today i am feeling some what silence, i am in my very quite room with no white noise- LOVE IT.

Thank you god for giving me this silence today.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    7. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      You have a a wonderful outlook @Markku :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Not happy like I was before t, and very sad on spike days.

9. Cher69
      Fine

Cher69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20/5/2013
      Right now yes I'm very happy I hope my T is kind to me and stays as it is !

• Like Like x 1
    10. Meestijn
      Balanced

Meestijn Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      No, I'm not that happy person anymore as I was before (max 70%). Although I can laugh & enjoy (like yesterday I have been to a theater (with earplugs!)) and it was fun & good) however, overal my life feels different now. As I'm writing this, tears roll over....

The only things which keeps me alive are my lovely girlfriend (supporting as ever), our 2 little boys, friends, family.

I still can't believe I can reach that 100% feeling again with the noises in my head!
      Only when I knew there would be a threatment/cure on the horizon would give me some relief.
      Also the fact that I DID THIS TO MYSELF is the hardest part of all.

I have some more physical defects but none did and do bother me to live life to the fullest.
      But this time for me it feels different... I and only I caused this irreversible damage to my hearing!!!

Yes, and I know that some of us (including myself) have to put things in perspective as our condition is not life threatening, however, it still can have a huge impact on the daily life. I can't do the things I did before or at least not that often or without proper ear protection.

Like yesterday, even after wearing earplugs my ears rang more after, which makes me so afraid I will be stuck soon with an higher level of T.

Thus short: no I'm not happy at all!

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    11. James
      No Mood

James Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Pulsing 03/2013
      Hey wait a second,
      What's Tinnitus got to do with Happiness. Why should one connect the two?

With severe Tinnitus, now I wonder about life expectancy, added stress in life.

12. Misery
      Happy

Misery Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 26, 2013
      I have T (for the second time). I'm going on 4 weeks. I've not habituated YET. I am happy. I can always see that things/life can be worse, much worse. Am I happy to have T? No, but I'm generally a happy/optimistic person.

By the way, I'm using the name "Misery" not as a description of myself, but in remembrance of a beloved pet that passed.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Riikka

Riikka Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2007
      It was very interesting to read your posts. In some way, I feel happier than before I got tinnitus. Tinnitus reminded me that all kind of bad health problems can happen to us and I can count myself lucky that at least my hearing is fine and I didn't get a fatal disease.

On the daily basis I feel less happy with the tinnitus. Usually I'm ok and doing fine, but I get more easily irritated and stressed than before. I also feel restricted at work/free-time or during traveling with the tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    14. vickilynn
      Bookworm

vickilynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Can't remember
      I'm not what I'd call happy all the time but it doesn't really have anything to do with the T though that can be frustrating at times.

• Like Like x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I would be a lot happier if I got my mild tinnitus back, these past 6 weeks has been so depressing!

16. AnneG
      Cheerful

AnneG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/13
      I'm Happy to say YES! I am happy :") My tinnitus started of Mild, But its volume increased only within 2 months. It did went away for almost 2 weeks, But when it came back it was back with vengeance. And I am happy to say that I AM HAPPY :") I just couldn't let tinnitus ruin my life, Life is the best gift of all <3 Live every moment! Feel every second of the day! Be Happy <3 When you're happy trust me, tinnitus doesn't seem to be the worst thing in the world!

xoxo
      Anne

• Like Like x 3
      • Winner Winner x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    17. christine kauhane
      Sunshine

christine kauhane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      june 9th 2013
      yes i'm happy,:D but i would'nt have been able to say this 4 months ago:grumpy: ! i wanted to die then:bag:, i was depress,:depressed: angry(why me) :mad:and my laugh was gone .:sick:. but yes i'm happy 4months with T and i can say i'm happy:), do i still wish it would go away HELL YA,(y) but i'm alive and God is still good....i made alot of new friends all over the world from just being on TT:huganimation: .....and every one understands what i go through ..:beeranimation: .....

• Like Like x 4
      • Winner Winner x 4
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    18. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      I am very happy to be on the right side of the sod...

• Like Like x 1
    19. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      This.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    20. epin3m
      Badass

epin3m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      I am as happy as I was before T since my level of happiness and my T do not go hand by hand anymore.

I was very depressed about my T but not anymore. I do not give him the strength to determine my mood anymore.

So yes. I AM HAPPY AND I LOVE BEING ALIVE!

PS: That does not mean that I would not like my T going away. Of course I would prefer not having it but I do not think that my overall level of happiness would change.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    21. LeQuack
      Gloomy

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      I used to be happy when I still had my mild tinnitus, but not anymore. I struggle just to get through the day.

• Hug Hug x 3
    22. michela
      Dramaqueen

michela Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      and i thought you use the name because you loved the movie misery /stephen king :p

• Like Like x 1
    23. epin3m
      Badass

epin3m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      I have moderate tinnitus and I am happy. I can hear it most of the time except having significant noises like shower.

FUCK Tinnitus. I REFUSE to be sad or depressed because of it. FuCK IT. I am going to live once and this screaming in my HEAD can go to HELL. I used to be scared because of my T so BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH

Now my T is scared of me.

• Winner Winner x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    24. LeQuack
      Gloomy

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      I wish I had your enthusiasm.

• Hug Hug x 1
    25. DebS

DebS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Let's say that I'm happier than I was in the early days of T, but not as happy as I was before...BUT I feel I WILL be happy again in the NEAR future, thanks to all of you and your great comments!

• Like Like x 1
    26. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      I am happy. I can't say for others but I am living absolutely an enjoyable, productive and abundant life, even more so than the pre-T days. Why? Well, I can go back and enjoy all that I used to enjoy, fishing, gardening, dancing, singing, travelling, hiking, camping, eating outs, partying, and more new hobbies (which were intentionally added to stimulate my nerves to focus on something else interesting rather than monitoring T) such as photography, raising challenging aquarium fish such as discus, learning the trick of setting up aquarium aquascape, playing tennis, etc. So I haven't missed a beat with my old way of life.

But the most improvement I have made is in how I approach life's challenges. I used to be anxiety & panic prone for decades. T forced me to research on how others cope with T and chronic illnesses. I have since learned new life skills such as acceptance, flowing, mindfulness, realistic and positive thinking instead of the old way of thinking in distorted ways (the so called cognitive distortions in CBT). These new skills help me cope with my anxiety & panic disorders so much better that I haven't have a single panic attack since those related to T at the beginning. I have learned the life's skill of 'finding joy amid the pain', that one has to be willing to coexist with the unpleasant so that you can fully enjoy the beauty of life. I also learn the power of being present, living and enjoying the moment without worrying about the past nor the future. This moment is the only moment I can do something about and I want to enjoy it the best I can.

Lastly, the most important attribute I gain through my T & H experience is that I have received so much unselfish, caring support from kind folks all over the world through these support forums, that I decide to do the same in return to help out newer T sufferers who are strangers all over the world. I have found my life's greatest personal fulfillment in overcoming my former selfish self to reach out for others. Like most caring members here, we find great joy when someone comes back to post a success story after receiving some help by the collective effort of caring member here. So for me at least, I am living my life abundantly with personal fulfillment even when my T is blasting away every morning. With me treating it now as a neutral stimulus, I don't give a dime what it will do. The brain just fades it out most of the time during the day anyway. With time and a positive attitude and the correct approach, everything is possible. Don't give up on life because of T. Cheers.

• Like Like x 4
      • Winner Winner x 3
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    27. Relic Hunter
      Cynical

Relic Hunter Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1990
      I cannot remember the last time I laughed or cried..Seems I am devoid of most emotions.

28. Roger

Roger Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      It's a great looking car though - in your picture. That's something. Why don't they make orange cars with black vinyl roofs any more? Thinking about my old Cortina always cheers me up.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    29. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      No, to be honest. Had t for over 3 months now, induced by lidocaine anesthetic. Before that appointment, I was working in and studying music, sleeping like a baby, eating my favorite foods. But because of t and hyperacusis with it, I have had to give that all up. I have lost who I am. I may also be relocating back to the UK, and leaving California. I know it is one thing to say do not let t win. But, unfortunately, for now, it has won. It is impossible for me to sit in a room with horn players or loud speakers, even with earplugs, and write and play music. I have lost myself to t. And I am not happy.

• Hug Hug x 3
    30. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      VERY happy.
      Ya I have tinnitus, a bad version of it.
      But I've been to the other side twice, where I exposed myself to loud, loud music and all but destroyed my hearing, and had an ungodly spike of sound for two years plus hyperacusis so bad I couldn't tolerate the snapping of fingers. All sounds and voices were distorted like monsters. I stuffed up with cotton and got through it. Whew.
      If you've read my posts I have nothing good to say about loud music.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Winner Winner x 2