Poll: Are You Happy?

Discussion in 'Support' started by mick1987, Nov 25, 2013.

?

Are you happy?

1. Yes (most of the time)

2. Sometimes

3. No (most of the time)

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      My life is music. It used to be loud music. What human can sit in a room of horns or loudspeakers? It's not natural. You'll find a way.

• Like Like x 1
    2. object16
      Magical

object16 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      overuse of hearing protection, plus noise
      I agree about being not happy. Last night I developed some chest pain, and I am sure it was my heart. No way am I going to a hospital, maybe I would like to live, but I did not want to go to hospital, basically if it was my time to die from heart attack, so be it. I think I have good life insurance in that kind of event, but it would still be better for my family if I were to die later. But basically that was it - grim reaper come and get me. I was not sure if I was going to wake up today, but I did wake up, I did not die, so that part is good. But happy, no, not really, to the point that if it looks like I'm having a heart attack, I don't care, just go ahead and die. sorry to be so grim and glum. I really don't worry if a natural disease comes and kills me, actually I kind of hope for it to happen.

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. carol kane
      Wishful

carol kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Lisa, i feel exactly the same as you ... i myself will be moving back to the UK next week, where in the UK will you be heading?

4. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Hi Carol. NW London. How about you?

5. carol kane
      Wishful

carol kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Hi Lisa, Lincolnshire, keep in touch with me, we're at the same level with this thing and i'd like to see how it goes for you, and we both have to fly soon ( dreading it )

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      That's how this thread started out. And here's the answer:

When you have habituated to your tinnitus, you no longer react to it. (That's what habituation means!) If you do not react to your tinnitus, then by definition whether you are happy or sad has nothing whatsoever to do with your tinnitus.

sp

• Like Like x 2
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I posted this back in November when I was depressed, anxious, fearful of my T, now I have lost the fear its out of my consciousness a lot of the time, my tinnitus and mood are now completely separate, I'm happy (sometimes sad) irrespective of what my T is doing, still sometimes find my T irritating though.

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    8. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Im happy but then again my T doesnt effect my life cause it is barely audible.. I hear silence.. Just with a real faint hiss and ring too it. Does it bother me? Yeah cause i think about it too much and have always had extreme anxiety. I tend to worry bout things too much. But if my T would have been the same as it was the first two days after a loud exposure.. I would probably be crazy depressed and just broken right now.. I thank god that loud ring went away after two days.. And im fine what it left me with. But i learned a lesson that this can worsen over time and im well prepared for that and now overly cautious with my ears. So for now i am very happy.

• Like Like x 1
    9. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      That's really good to hear. When I first saw this it really bummed me out. It might be a good idea for me to stop visiting this sight the neg comments really get to me but that's encouraging.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. christine kauhane
      Sunshine

christine kauhane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      june 9th 2013
      lol love it ...

• Like Like x 1
    11. epin3m
      Badass

epin3m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      This noise can kiss our ass´s christine :D

• Winner Winner x 1
    12. epin3m
      Badass

epin3m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      I am so HAPPY TO SEE HOW YOU, Mick, have improved over time. You were posting every single day here and in yuku: scared, but you are happy again and that is amazing. WELL DONE MATE!

The same applies for me. I was suicidal for some days. Now I am not and I am happy again. I have Tinnitus so what?

BTW mick, your brother´s example has been a strong motivator in my recovery :) Cheers mate!

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thanks epin3m, I am so pleased you are doing alot better, mate that is good to hear you overcome this BS so quickly!

Yeah I posted ALOT!...lol! 300 odd posts on the yuku forum in 3 months...300 odd posts here in 3 months practically lived on these forums.

My tinnitus hasn't changed...like you my attitude to the noise has, gone from fearful, depressed, anxious etc, to my limbic system calming down, me seeing tinnitus for what it is...an occasionally irritating noise that has lost its significance and power over me.

I'm pleased you found my brothers case helpful..its a great attitude to have, lose the fear lose the suffering...:)

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 2
    14. Saif
      Suicidal

Saif Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      YOLO ;)

15. epin3m
      Badass

epin3m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Me also. I was not posting much but I was living on the forums. However, what many people said is the whole truth. There is people there who have overcome a extremely loud tinnitus but their T does not have them. No reaction, no suffering.

Best,
      Adrian

• Like Like x 2
    16. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      I Don't T has made me unhappy. Some times I feel very irritated , but I don't think I am unhappy because of T. it is for sure a pain though!
      I am not too happy about avoiding loud places, not going to concerts and movies, but I am still happy.

• Winner Winner x 1
    17. carol kane
      Wishful

carol kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      I'm not happy, i'm still in denial!! i hate my life, the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth!!

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    18. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Jeff M. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      Kinda late to this post, but glad I am posting now and not 4 months ago!! I was not happy then!! At all!!

BUT....... I am habituating and having victory over my T!! I am happy to say I am HAPPY!!! :)
      Granted, I still have my moments/battles with my T! But I make sure I win!!

For those of you who are not, I hope and pray you find some joy and relief!!! I didn't think I was ANY way I was going to be happy again, and I am. So I hope that is some encouragement to you!!!

• Like Like x 2
    19. avt007

avt007 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      My T doesn't affect my happiness, since I guess it's mild. (Visiting this site makes me glad my T isn't a bad as some).
      Some days I'm more aware of it, and it will annoy me, but generally no more. I'd say I'm habituated for sure. One pure tone of 10khz, never changes, always the same, just variations in volume. That type of T is probably easier to get used to, I'd say.

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    20. avt007

avt007 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      BTW, today's one of those days it bugs me, that's why I'm on here. Otherwise I ignore it, it's business as usual.

21. michela
      Dramaqueen

michela Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      im really sorry, but i cant believe you.are you REALLY that strong inside hm. i mean, i suspect many people are just lying to themselfes when it comes to the impact of tinnitus ;(

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. Saif
      Suicidal

Saif Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      @michela

You will have the day that you want to face tinnitus and be strong about it, you will be motivated.
      I had an awesome week with tinnitus that I thought I will never complain about it, but today tinnitus won the battle.

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    23. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      I think people can get used to much worse things, and I dont only mean health wise. It all lies in the attitude. We all can choose whether we focus on the negative or the positive aspects of our life. I suppose the battle with tinnitus is not so much a battle with the ringing, but rather a battle with yourself.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    24. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      That's sad to see. Unless you believe that you can overcome this your prob not gonna get very far. I've seen people who have overcome t firsthand and I know people who have gone through much worse and still tried to live their life the best they could. That's not to say t doesn't suck it does but when you have something that you have to battle like t it's hard enough why would you let it affect all the other parts of your life. If anything I feel it should encourage us to realize how precious life and everything in it is. I don't know your story or what you have tried to overcome you t but you have to change your perspective on approaching your t. Again t sucks but I've seen people go through worse and if they were able to be positive I know ican. I wish you well and hope you get some comfort from your t.

ote="michela, post: 35359, member: 3001"]im really sorry, but i cant believe you.are you REALLY that strong inside hm. i mean, i suspect many people are just lying to themselfes when it comes to the impact of tinnitus ;([/quote]

• Like Like x 4
    25. Saif
      Suicidal

Saif Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      When I have bad day with T, I search about famous people who live with what I live with but they got use to it.
      I try to avoid HORRIBLE stories and who have it for long time but they still complaining.
      Reading success stories bring back my smile again.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    26. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      I really like reading about Stephen Hawkins. He doesn't have tinnitus but he has Lou Gehrig's disease which is much worse as it is progressive and will leave one paralyzed. Hawkins has had it since he was in his 20s and its a miracle he has come that far (most patients die in 2-5 years). He has a family and an amazing career despite all that. Recently at a conference he said that he has tried to live his life as normally as possible. So I also try to do that :)
      @Saif if your father has had it for 20 years and doesn't complain then he is a great rolemodel:)

• Like Like x 1
    27. Saif
      Suicidal

Saif Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      @Stina
      Yea I will try to be like my father.
      I don't know why I will complain about tinnitus after reading about Hawkins story !
      BTW first time I knew about him and I saw his pictures, He still have his smile.
      When I first had type 2 Diabetes I really was depressed and I just wish that I will never woke up > because I had it in young age .
      But then I searched about it and I found that Nick Jonas have type 1.

Thanks Stina :)

• Like Like x 1
    28. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      There is a neuroscientist named Sam Harris he's a brilliant man and he has tinnitus.

• Like Like x 3
    29. epin3m
      Badass

epin3m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      In what way does that comment help you to overcome your tinnitus? Do not you realize that you are doing your own negative consuelling? By thinking that way you reinforce your idea that tinnitus is impossible to be overcome.

I am not a strong person michela. In my view and own experience strength is not a factor to overcome your T but determination. Being strong is coping and I do not cope with my T at all.

Am I liying to myself being that possitive on TT lately? Well, the answer is no. And how do I know it? Because my T does not make me anxious nor depressed. I have not stopped doing anything because of my T in the last month and my T has not made me unhappy.

Of course I could be lying to you because I cannot show you my level of happiness as well as I cannot demonstrate I have Tinnitus. But in any case I am not posting these comments to cheer up myself but to help these beautiful people who helped me when evth was dark.

You can believe me or not but I hope that your decision will help you to overcome your T.

• Like Like x 4
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    30. movinguy

movinguy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Neuroma
      I hope that is true, Stina. My T is a result of trauma to my cranial nerve from an acoustic neuroma. It's not likely to go away, or even get better. Yesterday I had to leave an event that my son was participating in in a crowded gymnasium because the noise was unbearable. I get pissed when the T "wins". But a brother of a friend of mine just passed from ALS, so I get it. Life is strange . . .