Are You Wearing Earplugs Inside Tonight (New Year's Fireworks)?

Discussion in 'Support' started by 3ri0w, Dec 31, 2016.

1. 3ri0w

3ri0w Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012, H 2016, 12/2018(?)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noises, ringing came back 12/2018 after 1year of silent
      I am..

2. Krish230
      Badass

Krish230 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced - nightclub
      Yep, especially when the fireworks go off!

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No, but I live in the middle of the woods.

I might wear them outdoors if I decide to go fire off a few New Year's bullets. (Again, I live in the middle of the woods, so this is a Safe And Reasonable activity).

• Like Like x 1
    4. Hopeful1
      Depressed

Hopeful1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      How loud are fireworks are they above 85db?.....i think we should not going to any place where we think we need ear plugs....people with T seem to be more succeptable to hearing damage than people without T.

5. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      What a chance ;)
      Why still risking your ears with the bullets ?

I won't need plugs, no fireworks over here, I live in a small village. Firecrackers may be heard, but nothing powerful enough to reach my cochlea in a dangerous way (while I'm inside).

6. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      .22 rimfire is actually not very loud, and with plugs and muffs I'm not concerned about it. Longer term I will probably get a silencer now that I live someplace where it's legal and reasonably straightforward to do so, though. (With proper protection a .22 ends up being quieter than a lot of the ambient city noises/planes/etc that I was constantly exposed to the last place I lived).

I did shoot a couple larger rounds recently, and, I think I'll have to be done with larger caliber rifles, silenced or not -- I'm not too worried about the exposure from a couple shots, but I'm reasonably convinced that shooting big guns on a regular basis is going to slowly eat away at your hearing, no matter how well you try to protect.

7. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      All right ! I remember shooting a .22 in a basement when I was 18... After I just got T. It was not loud indeed but we were drunk. Damn, that is my last confession of the year, and yes, I'm ashamed :D

8. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      From a distance I wouldn't imagine they'd be loud enough to damage hearing,I remember last Halloween I brought my little cousins trick or treating,we went early to avoid fireworks but just my luck they started firing them off just as we walked outside.I had my decibel reader with me and all I got was 80db from one that exploded a few hundred yards away up in the sky.It sounded loud but I doubt they could do damage especially at that distance,but hey who the hell knows lol.

9. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      I don't plan on it. Keeping my windows closed is usually more than enough.