Ashwagandha

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Asian, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      Ashwagandha on Amazon

Introduction to Ashwagandha

Ashwagandha has been used as an herbal remedy for hundreds of years. It has many applications, and has been used by Native Americans and Africans to treat inflammation, fevers, and to protect against infection or illness. It has also been used to boost the immune system, improve memory, and to promote overall wellness.

Ashwagandha is a shrub that flourishes in India and North America. The roots of the ashwagandha plant have been employed for millennia by Ayurvedic healers. Ashwagandha has many beneficial elements, including flavonoids and members of the withanolide class. Numerous modern studies have found that ashwagandha is very effective in reducing inflammation, treating tumors, decreasing stress, increasing mental activity, invigorating the body, and as an antioxidant.

Health Benefits of Ashwagandha - Scholars at Banaras Hindu University, located in Varanasi, India, have conducted research that has shown that many of the elements of ashwagandha are antioxidants. The researchers looked at the effects these elements have on the brains of test animals and found that ashwagandha led to larger amounts of three different natural antioxidants: superoxide dismutase, catalase and glutathione peroxidase. The scholars conclude, “These findings are consistent with the therapeutic use of W. somnifera as an Ayurvedic rasayana (health promoter). The antioxidant effect of active principles of W. somnifera may explain, at least in part, the reported anti-stress, cognition-facilitating, anti-inflammatory and anti-aging effects produced by them in experimental animals, and in clinical situations."

For years, Indians have prescribed ashwagandha as a treatment for cerebral disorders in the elderly, including memory loss. Scholars from the University of Leipzig looked at the effects of ashwagandha on the brain. They dosed rats with ashwagandha and then looked at their brains to see if ashwagandha affected neurotransmitters. The research showed that ashwagandha led to more acetylcholine receptor activity. The scholars concluded that the increase of activity in that particular neurotransmitter could account for the increase in cognitive ability and memory that is attributed to ashwagandha.

Researchers at the University of Texas Health Science Center also looked at the effects of ashwagandha. They found that extracts of the shrub had activity that was similar to GABA, which could explain why the plant is effective in reducing anxiety.

Another study, conducted in 2002, found that ashwagandha leads to increased growth of axons and dendrites. Another study in 2001 found that the plant can enhance memory. A 2000 project indicated that ashwagandha reduced anxiety and depression in animals.

Latest researches reveal that Ashwagandha, if given in proper dose, can restore the neurotransmitters and hence can be useful in various mental disorders. Ashwagandha can be used by both men and women and it acts to calm the mind and promote sound, restful sleep. Ashwagandha works as an adaptogen, promoting the body's ability to maintain homeostasis and resist stress. It prevents or minimizes imbalances that may lead to disease, whether from poor diet, lack of sleep, mental or physical strain, or chemical toxins in the environment. It is especially beneficial in stress related disorders such as arthritis, hypertension, diabetes, general debility, etc. It has also shown impressive results when used as a stimulant for the immune system. Ashwagandha is a unique herb with anti-stress adaptogenic action that leads to better physical fitness and helps to cope with life's daily stress.

Ashwagandha bears a great effect on our body. This herb finds its reference in the very beginning of one of the greatest medicinal science, ayurveda. Ashwagandha is considered to be one of the best herbs that helps in achieving a disease less condition and more importantly, the mental peace to attain the mental satisfaction important in today?s fast moving and distracting life. It maintains the health and also helps in treating us from the diseases we may suffer from. Pharmacologically Ashwagandha has the power to suppress vata dosha that is the ultimate cause of carrying the vitiated doshas to other parts of the body. As per modern sciences Ashwagandha has variety of pharmacological activities that facilitates it with the wonderful results it is presenting to us.

Adaptogenic properties - It is one of the best Adaptogenic agents that we are blessed with. It helps in increasing our body?s resistance and also helps us in fighting against any outer invasion that can harm our body?s homeostasis. The powerful actions of the constituents of withinia help our body to maintain the required equilibrium to attain a disease free condition of the body. These actions are produced by it due to presence of high amounts of oxygen rich steroids derivative C-28. It also contains at least 40 different types of withanolids that are having strong efficacy in promoting metabolism and inhibiting the free radical formation. This gives it an antioxidant property. It for this reason Ashwagandha has gained its popularity as one of the finest anti-oxidant.

Anti inflammatory and analgesic action - Ashwagandha has also been found very effective in relieving from pain and inflammatory condition that might be caused due to some mishap or injury. The supremacy of Ashwagandha lies with the fact that it has the potential to normalize any kind of disturbances happening in the body. Due to its vata suppressing properties it is very much helpful in eliminating diseases that are caused by vata vitiation.

Cancer - this name creates trembles in our body, but not to fear now. Researches held at various research centers throughout world has shown that Ashwagandha posses the properties that are very much beneficial in curbing the growth of cancer cells. It strongly acts on the cancer cells there by inhibiting the action at the initial stage thereby helping our body to face the risk of cancer. In technical terminology it wipes out the spindle formation at the metaphase.

Nervine weakness - One of the best qualities that Ashwagandha is blessed with is the power to strengthen our nervous system. The protective action of pentylenetetrazol helps in inhibiting the convulsions and wobbly movements of the body caused due to disturbances in are central nervous system (CNS). Researches have also proved that withinia has a strong effect on our nervous system. It provides proper nourishment and balance to it and also tones it up to facilitate better working.

Cardiovascular system - Recently astonishing effects of Ashwagandha has been seen on cardiovascular system. Research conducted at All Indian Institute of medical science (AIIMS), New Delhi, India has shown that Ashwagandha has sufficient amount of various agents that are extremely helpful in preventing ailments like myocardial necrosis and high degrees of blood pressure. Ashwagandha is slowly gaining its popularity as cardio-protective anti oxidant. It also has anti anxiety properties.

Aphrodisiac actions - as mentioned earlier also that Ashwagandha is called as Indian ginseng. It also finds its reference in the greatest love book ever written kamasutra. It is known to enhance the libido and increases the sense of indulgence to complete the act of love. As per the researches, the presence of nitric oxide facilitates it with the power to dilate blood vessels essential to carry out the sexual activity to the fullest.

Mental health - Ashwagandha has strong tendencies to fade away the negative energies that creep into our mind and helps to attain the new enthusiasm to fulfill our work. It promotes new zeal into our life and is also responsible for enhancing the memory skills due to presence of acetylcholine receptor capacity. It is just miracle that a small bushy herb that grows wild here and there has the power to completely change our life in every means. It fills us with the new energies and makes us strong from inside.

• Like Like x 1
    2. tomm
      Thinking

tomm Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (club drumming)
      I've been having 6 of these a day from a tub from Holland and Barrett. Found conflicting reports concerning the Withanolide in it. Some articles talk about neurite regrowth, while others talk about it inhibiting growth factors.

3. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      "Ashwagandha proven to be just as good as anti-anxiety drugs
      In a 2000 study published in Phytomedicine, the calming effect of ashwagandha on rats was equal to that produced by the prescription anti-anxiety medicine lorazepam (a benzodiazepine)– sold under the trade name Ativan. The team concluded that the use of ashwagandha was supported for treatment of clinical anxiety and depression.
      In contrast to Ativan — which can cause side effects such as nightmares, headaches and depression, plus it can be physically addictive – ashwagandha features no reported adverse effects in studies."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11194174

• Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I realize this is an old thread. That said, I know that a lot of us would like to have some anxiety relief without going on drugs that may have potential side-effects. I decided to give this particular brand and dosage a try because of all of the very positive reviews from purchasers on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Ashwagandha-...97&sr=1-1&keywords=Premium+Ashwagandha+1000mg

Out of 121 purchasers, 88% gave it 5 stars and 10% four stars. I should be getting mine in about five days. I'll let you know if I notice any improvement or not.

• Like Like x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    5. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Remember that natural remedies & supplements, like drugs, also have side effects.

6. Cal18
      Nerdy

Cal18 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2010 / 2016 Both SSRI Withdrawal and Mild Hearing Loss
      @jimH I started taking this at one point for a few days but stopped because I was taking too many things. Please keep us updated on how this works out for you.

• Genius Genius x 1
    7. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Agreed, I didn't intentionally mean to imply that they did not. Here's a link to the webmd website that give some of the possible side-effects. It's also a good idea if you're on any medication to click on the "interactions" tab. I usually check with this website when I'm considering taking something new:

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-suppl...edientId=953&activeIngredientName=ASHWAGANDHA

• Like Like x 1
    8. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I will definitely do a follow-up post to let you know if it helped to reduce my anxiety or not. I think I'll need about two weeks in order to give any reliable feedback. Additionally, I need to do some more research regarding it. Primarily to determine if it is safe for long term use or not?
      You may want to click on the Amazon link I provided above and read some of the reviews from the "verified purchasers."

9. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      A sleeping supplement I used to take included this which I took for 2 months. I don't believe it had any effect on my Tinnitus.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    10. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I wrote in my previous post that I would report back after trying this product for anxiety relief. I have not experienced any benefit or reduction in anxiety when I have taken it. I was hoping for a "take as needed" supplement that would take the edge off my anxiety on those days when my T is bad. There were a lot of favorable comments on Amazon which is why I gave it a try. After reading those comments from verified purchasers, it obviously does help some people.
      If you are taking any medication and want to try it, check to see if there is any possible interaction with any meds you are taking on webmd.com (click on the "interactions" tab):

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-suppl...edientId=953&activeIngredientName=ASHWAGANDHA

Additionally, be advised that there has been no study of the effects of long term use of it. I read that in two different articles online.

• Like Like x 1
    11. BBApple

BBApple Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus? Noise?
      I have tried a multitude of supplements that claim to help with stress, anxiety, insomnia, etc. To date, NONE of them have had any effect whatsoever. The only thing that helps is a benzo.

One day, I think I may chuck my entire supplement cabinet because not a single one has done anything, as far as I can tell.

• Agree Agree x 2
    12. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I have tried this supplement and it gave me the most horrible acid reflux...

13. patorjk
      No Mood

patorjk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several reasons
      This is the only supplement I've taken that I thought might kill me. 4 hours after taking 1 pill I had an uncomfortable feeling in my chest. I put on my Fitbit and discovered my resting heart beat was going between 80bpm and 90bmp. Normally it's 55bpm.

Unfortunately I'd taken it around 7pm, so I went to bed with a racing heart. It was very unnerving. This effect was less the next day, and after 24 hours I was back to normal. It was kind of scary and I'm surprised this supplement doesn't have a warning on it - though maybe my reaction was rare?

However, I did have 2 low tinnitus days after taking it. I was hoping it was due to the vitamin E I was also taking but my tinnitus is back to normal. Based on what others have said it was probably just a coincidence that my tinnitus dipped.

I would use caution if you decide to try this supplement.

14. juliob
      Confused

juliob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antidepressants / Loud Sound Exposure
      I tried Ashwagandha for a few days. The first one gave me a mellow high. Then the next day I was a bit depressed.

I remember reading a horror story on Reddit about persistent anhedonia. Don't know if it's a thing or a valid concern on this supplement though.

15. Tom Soria

Tom Soria Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I just wanted to warn anyone who thinks of taking Ashwagandha.

While researching if I should take this or not, I found a bunch of accounts of people who took Ashwagandha and ended up with chronic SSRI syndrome.

I personally would steer well clear of this drug/supplement.

• Like Like x 1
    16. GlennS

GlennS Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I tried a bottle of it and it didn't really impact me much one way or the other.

17. EatMoTacos
      No Mood

EatMoTacos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music and being dumb
      Has anyone else tried Ashwagandha before? I’ve been under lots of anxiety and stress as of lately.

18. Jsm_Joestar
      Woot

Jsm_Joestar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear infection followed by fireworks a year later
      I tried it. It was very relaxing and really improved my sleep. From what I remember, it didn't have any effect on my tinnitus and hyperacusis though. I did stop using it but that's because my thyroid had a bad reaction from it. I started coughing a lot and got a dry throat. Other than that it was really relaxing.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    19. Sironketchup

Sironketchup Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL / Stress / Covid?
      I'm taking Ashwagandha.

After reading a bit, I found that it's best to take the raw powder.

First time I took like 5g before going to bed. I found that it helps me sleep much better. After taking it for 10-14 days in a row, I started to feel that it makes me unable to sleep longer than 6 hours and it gave me the strangest nightmares, so strange and spooky I can still remember them.

And my pecs started so feel sore, that might have been the testosterone increase.
      I made me feel numb and somehow more aggressive. Gave me headaches.

So I decided to just take it from time to time, normally once a week when I go from the weekend to working and going to bed earlier.
      I think it's a good standby med to help you fall asleep. But in my opinion its more like drug than a supplement. I seems to have some proper pharmaceutical effects.

20. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I tried Ashwagandha before in pure powder form. Sadly it didn't do much for me in any area.

21. 2noist

2noist Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      How long did you try it for?

22. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      For 2-3 months as far as I remember. Been quite a while since I tried it.

23. Gabriel
      Depressed

Gabriel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I focused on verifying if I had tinnitus
      Don't take Ashwagandha if you have sleeping issues.

It kind of settled my tinnitus, to a level I didn't want. It also made my hearing sensitive; if I am exposed to too much sound, I hear a horrible very high-pitched "SSS".

And on top of that, it made two sounds not noticeable before unless I plugged my ear, noticeable during all waking hours.

And now I am waking up to these sounds on top of the high-pitched tinnitus.

Ashwagandha unfortunately made my tinnitus into a nightmare.

I ruled out other components. I was taking Arkopharma sleeping tablets but I switched that with Ashwagandha, and did not mix the two. And the worsening happened at the switch. Two times. The first time I thought it was the benzo, but it wasn't.

• Hug Hug x 2
    24. ErnieMassri

ErnieMassri Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2010 (spike 2020)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluoxetine, Alprazolam withdrawal, stress
      That's terrible to know @Gabriel; has your tinnitus gotten better? I have terrible insomnia, and I need to do something about it. Are you sure it was because of Ashwagandha, or were you taking other stuff? There could be other culprits.

I hope your tinnitus has gone down in volume and intrusiveness.

25. momus

momus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      My neighbor tried Ashwagandha last year and loved the experience. It sounds like a powerful herb with healing properties, and as long as someone is knowledgeable about things like this, all should go well. As always with herbs, know your source.

I'd love to try it (I must have tripped on 'shrooms and Orange Sunshine in the 60s-80s at least 200 times), so inner space has been well explored by me, but the cost, and not knowing exactly how and where to obtain this has held me back. The 'shrooms we had grew in the fields for free. Everything I've looked at online mentions you don't just get the herb in your happy hand; you have to go through a sort of process and have an experienced "guide" to help you along. I'd rather not buy into a process; just sell me the !!%*#! herb.

All of these add-ons bump up the cost in a substantial manner, vs. the instructions we gave people with/ LSD, which was basically, "have you done something like this before? OK, then just make sure your head is in a good place BEFORE you take it, and don't take it alone. Here's my phone number if things get weird. Just call me and take it easy; it will be out of your system in 4-6 hours."

Ashwagandha sounds like something that could change one's relationship w/ tinnitus even after the trip. Most of us could probably use that! But I am leery about all the shaman marketing aura around it.

26. elino

elino Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      I took Ashwagandha (KSM-66) for circa 2 months, and I didn't notice any effect on my tinnitus or otherwise.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    27. Stayinghopeful
      Procrastinating

Stayinghopeful Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened with COVID-19 / Anesthesia
      Yes. Ashwagandha is like Lion's Mane in that it has to be a really good quality form to have an effect. It does reduce anxiety, and it would be the first thing I'd try for anxiety before anything else.

28. momus

momus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      Oops, I was wrong about this. Apparently, Ashwagandha is readily available and not the drug I was thinking of. I thought it was a psychedelic drug that shamans normally use, and I have forgotten the name of that one. You see it a lot on meetups. That's the one I want to try. A lot of people have used it (whatever its name is, but it's close to this one) and reported life-changing experiences.

29. JeffToob

JeffToob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma head.
      Ayahuasca. I read your other reply and knew you were talking about it instead.

It's both a good and bad trip.

I like feeling like I'm in my body but also spaced out enough to leave reality for a bit.

I'm the type for whom tripping just works.

I no longer do it, but good luck and safe travels if you do. Also, have someone sober with you.