Astigmatism

Discussion in 'Health Talk' started by Taylorslay, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Taylorslay
      Happy

Taylorslay Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Years of excessively loud headphone use
      In my family an astigmatism is hereditary (we think since my mom has one). It's not harmful, more so just a nuisance. Not long ago when I got a new swanky pair of specs I was told I have an astigmatism in my left eye. It's not too bad, but definitely noticeable.

It was quite funny when I brought it up to the employees at the eyeglass place that my left side was blurry because I never noticed it in my old pair of glasses. They were like "What do you mean it's blurry?".

My glasses don't completely fix it, even when they changed the lense to suit them. Essentially one eye is Crystal clear while the other is a bit of a blur.

Assuming (not guarenteed) that over the years it'll get worse. I was wondering if anyone here has gotten LASIK or some other surgery to treat any eye related problems or an astigmatism. How did it work out for you?

How do contacts work with an astigmatism? I was thinking about getting contacts in the future because in many cases I look better without my glasses.:watching: The employee at the eyeglass place said that contacts are softer on the eye than glasses. Someone do clarify what that means.

:rockingbanana: <- this is a dancing banana, that is awesome

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I have an astigmatism, I wear gas permeable contacts or RGP. They are rigid contacts and are not disposable, but I get much better vision with them than I did with soft contacts and glasses. With an astigmatism the cornea is irregularly shaped, and RGP lenses will retain their shape and can be fitted to the shape of your cornea.

It's been a long time since I have tried any other type of lense, so the options may be much better today than they were back when I was finding out what worked best for me.

• Informative Informative x 1