At an All Time Low

Discussion in 'Support' started by monkey legs, Feb 8, 2018.

1. monkey legs

monkey legs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1991 (Low level). Worse Dec 2017 to Now
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear injury (paintball) 1991. 2017 > Onwards Cause? Not sure.
      I am trying to be positive, but every day becomes a huge battle to carry on. I have no energy, motivation, or interest in anything anymore.

I have to force myself to do the smallest tasks. But from the outside people would think there is nothing wrong with me.

What a drag.

• Hug Hug x 4
    2. Nanny chocolate

Nanny chocolate Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unbelievable caused by audiologist!
      Hi
      Yes, it does drag you down, every day is exhausting. I’m sorry it’s like that for you too. I live alone so there is no one to help with practical things or even make a cup of tea.
      Over everything is this torturing noise. When you are so tired it’s impossible to
      keep really busy and distract.?Hug

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      monkey legs

monkey legs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1991 (Low level). Worse Dec 2017 to Now
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear injury (paintball) 1991. 2017 > Onwards Cause? Not sure.
      Yes indeed. I dont even have the energy to wash myself lately. What a life.

4. Nanny chocolate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I know, I really do. Xx

5. jay777

jay777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo/ headphones
      hi i feel your pain , you have both had T a long time so there is no habituation for you in this time?

6. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Tinnitus can indeed be very annoying and can make a person feel alone. I'm extremely positive and motivated but even I can feel it at times. The super loud ringing is not fun and tolerating it is a chore in itself. Don't expect others to care for your difficulties. The only person that truly cares and will do anything for you is really YOU. Try to carry on and use whatever that helps to relax your mind and be at peace with yourself.

On very rare occasions I will use my hearing aid (because it has a pink noise machine built in) and it helps quite a bit. It's a tough life and I have tons of sympathy, for those that are afflicted by this horror. It would be nice if others cared and respected just how hard we live, but I don't have expectations from society anymore.....

• Like Like x 1
    7. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      I'm so sorry. Nobody deserves to live like this. I wish there was a treatment for this condition. It is almost unimaginable that this isn't taken more seriously. When I finally decided to tell friends other family members about my condition, none of them had even heard of Tinnitus, let alone understand what it's like.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Nanny chocolate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Jay and Fishbone
      Yes Jay, I had habituated to the noises in my right ear BUT at the beginning of December 2017 that all changed. The suspect is setraline but I tipped into another horror story, I still can’t quite believe it. The noises in my right ear have been added to and I now have noises in my left ear too.
      Unless they have bad T themselves people can’t understand. The ‘Face’ supposed to be sympathy is hateful. Oh yes, they might have T, hang on they need to listen for it!!!! We have no need for that, it’s there blasting away.
      My family are very caring but it doesn’t
      change anything does it. RANT OVER NOW.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Tracyk

Tracyk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello, My T is rather new a little over a month to be exact. I’m still learning how to deal some days are better than others. I changed my diet to no sugar no salt and eat just chicken and vegetables. Most times it helps. Due to my T I’m now suffering from anxiety and depression. I’m now seeing a psychiatrist for it that prescribed meds. Maybe try changing your diet and seek medical help. I hope someone finds a cure soon. Good luck

10. Nanny chocolate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HiTracyk
      Sounds like a very health diet for you. I am also suffering from anxiety and depression due to the T.
      I think the sertraline I was prescribed made my long term habituated T worse and also to both ears.
      We all wish that a cure will be found but it won’t be in my life time.
      Best of luck and keep posting.
      Eve

11. john paul
      English

john paul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Its unbelievable how much of a non issue tinnitus seems to be in this world, and yet for me i find it to be up right up there in terms of disabilities. I know there is worse things in life but any form of incurable problem is pretty much going to ruin your life. If it was something obvious like blindness and everyone was walking around with white sticks and guide dogs people would be freaking out about it being an epidemic.

The lack of education is what really gets me angry and upset to be honest, as i was not even aware of this condition before it was too late. (I'm 35) To think i spent 10 years of my life at school learning all kinds of pointless things that have no meaning in my life anymore, if one of those hours or days was spent focussing on health and safety and really drumming it home about what it means to have tinnitus it might have saved me and I'm sure many others. Im the kind of person that now i know about dust and toxic fumes is over paranoid about it so i know if id been educated about it i would have been more careful.

My parents telling me 'you will damage your ears' listening to my iPod or whatever just meant nothing to me, it was not painful and so why would i care about maybe being a bit deaf when I'm older when I'm probably going to be deaf when I'm older anyway because its normal. Just like if i come back from a noisy night out and my ears ring before going to bed, its just normal right. Everything will be ok in the morning. Wrong.

Also a Scientist telling me i can't listen to my iPod for more than 10 minutes at any kind of level i enjoy is also a bit like a scientist telling me i can't eat burnt toast because its going to give me cancer. Scientists are somebody to just ignore with all there statistics but when it comes to hearing loss I'm starting to believe them. Maybe i should believe them about burnt toast when it comes to it but how can you live your life that way. For me i was in the wrong place at the wrong time and someone burnt my ears and my brain with there music that was in my opinion breaking the law or should be, but i was just some poor sod who didnt know any better to save myself. Everyone else seemed to be enjoying it so what is the problem. The law needs to be changed IMO. Sorry rant over. :(

12. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If you ignore scientists, then why wouldn't you have ignored being told in Health Class that according to scientists noise can cause permanent loud ringing in your ears?

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    13. john paul
      English

john paul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I just dont think i would have, if it was explained to me properly. My point is Scientists dont do themselves any favours sometimes because they claim pretty much everything is bad for you, so people tend to ignore pretty much everything they say. Myself included.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    14. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      You would have probably ignored it regardless, it's human nature.
      We all know dangers of smoking, drugs, junk food, speeding, drink driving........ yet it keeps happening.
      We all (especially younger people) think we are invisible until something catches up with you!

15. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      The disrespect of T is just remarkable. Turning a blind eye and not helping with prevention of how medical hurtful it is and serious it is. I get how docs they really don't have much to go on, but doc should not think it a little ring no big deal go home, because actually that little ring turns into alot more and also can turn on depression and anxiety which also can go severe putting people to deal with unbelievable thoughts, on top of dealing with multiple problems it draws up and that keeps on stacking up with no understanding, to me no other illness has that much disrespect. I can see why people with T struggle to no end.

16. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Absolutely agree with you.
      And to make things worse it’s not even considered an illness but a symptom:banghead:

• Like Like x 1
    17. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @monkey legs ,
      I hope your feeling a little better in yourself .
      Love glynis

18. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      There is an interesting program developed by Dr. Billy Martin, formerly with the OHSU Tinnitus Clinic, and his daughter called Dangerous Decibels. My husband and I were invited to one of his presentations at a middle school in Los Angeles.

The kids were intrigued and paid close attention to his lecture. He was really cool which helped them to identify with the message of loud music and ear damage.

It is up to the schools here in the US to integrate the program.

https://omsi.edu/sites/all/FTP/files/smile/DangerousDecibelsEducatorGuide.pdf?page=23