Audiologist or ENT for Hearing Loss and Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Song interpreter, May 27, 2016.

1. Song interpreter
      Creative

Song interpreter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Too much noise
      Which doctor is the most important, or the first I should see about tinnitus and hearing loss: the audiologist or ENT?

I'm excited to get started on hearing what I need to hear again!

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Both.
      ENT usually do a MRI to rule out any problems and audiology for hearing test and provide aids if needed....lots of love glynis

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Song interpreter
      Creative

Song interpreter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Too much noise
      I get to see an audiologist next week! Good news! My insurance will pay for hearing aids if I need them. I'm excited to be able to make some progress.

Any questions or information I should bring with me?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Song interpreter
      Creative

Song interpreter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Too much noise
      I went to the audiologist. I told him about the tinnitus, but he didn't hear me. Tinnitus would certainly explain some of my hearing tests results!

The tests were good ear, then bad ear; words, tones, and repeated with static in my good ear and again with a bone conducting hearing aid. I told him that the ringing in my ear was louder than the static. That sound proof booth was so loud with my tinnitus! It was very hard to concentrate on the sounds to hear them through the ringing!

The audiologist expected better improvement with the bone conductor. I only improved by about 20 db. I need 20 db more to be in normal hearing.

Good news! My bad ear qualifies for insurance to pay for my hearing aid. He thought my right ear would benefit too, I think it's the tinnitus that makes the difference. So, I start looking around to see what kind of hearing aid I want. I found this: http://www.hearingaidforums.com/showthread.php?17657-Tinnitus-Masking-features-Do-they-work-for-you

I read many success stories on that thread. I feel very much encouraged by their stories! I thought it might encourage some of you here.

So now I wait to see the ENT. Perhaps we will get closer to better hearing soon!

5. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Some xanax would be nice.