Avoiding Milk, Caffeine, Artificial Sweeteners, Exposure to Loud Noise Helped My Tinnitus So Much

Discussion in 'Support' started by Theadora, Dec 20, 2019.

1. Theadora

Theadora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      As long as I can remember.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meningitis
      I've had tinnitus my whole life. I'm now 47/F. Only in the past few years has it become a big problem. Long story short, Meningitis as a baby, hearing loss in both ears, more in right, but tinnitus always present in the left(low pitched and mostly unnoticed). After vertigo and ringing episodes, several diagnoses from Migrainous Vertigo to Meniere's. And yes, I also have migraines and vertigo. Also anxiety. Since I couldn't get answers from doctors, I started paying attention to my spikes and decreases.

Here's what I found.

1. Milk causes spikes.
      2. Caffeine causes spikes.
      3. Artificial sweeteners causes spikes. Even in chewing gum.
      4. Obviously, prolonged exposure to loud noises.

What I've found that helps is B12! An ENT suggested it and it does work. Takes about a week or 2 to kick in and I use the sublingual version. A lot of water is always good.

So, while I still have tinnitus, it's much better than it was and I was seriously considering downing a bottle of pills at one point.

I hope this helps someone. Please ask questions and I'll be happy to answer.

• Like Like x 4
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. CMIH

CMIH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      :thankyousign: Not sure if I can quit coffee or chewing gum but I can try the B12.

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Theadora

Theadora Member

Tinnitus Since:
      As long as I can remember.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meningitis
      I do either decaf or occasional half-caf. Only full caf when a migraine is involved. I can't give it up completely. But the gum? Try a brand called Pur. It's supposed to have no Artificial sweeteners. Your tinnitus must not be too bad, though. Which is great!