Awful Rasping Loud Bass Noise in Ear

Discussion in 'Support' started by Basshell, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Basshell
      Suicidal

Basshell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I have the ringing and high pitch static noise. Years and years. Never stopped. I habituated.

Now I have this awful 24/7 super loud rasping bass pounding noise (like putting your head to a bass speaker). Can actually feel it.

All tests done, nothing showing. Can't take anymore of it day in day out. Been like this for months.

My question is... Anyone else out there got this kind of thing? Honestly feel I'm the only person in the universe suffering this kind of noise hell.

• Hug Hug x 4
    2. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      My tinnitus is a high pitch static noise. I sometimes get super loud rasping base pounding noise and I can actually also feel it. I have it now going on 4 days.

Often this won't show cause on any tests including ultra sound testing. So in many cases it doesn't relate directly to nerves and veins unless it relates to the mouth. It can relate to dehydration, posture, use of a certain supplement or drug, too much of a particular food or sometimes tension or smoking causing an increased heart rate. It can relate to neck muscles, facial or the mouth with infection. With a neck muscle infection one can feel discomfort from within the neck. For a mouth infection, either a dry mouth or extra saliva accumulation.

Also listening to a sound with a beat over and over can program the brain not to forget a sound that has a beat. Using pink music such a running stream or brook at low volume may help with this.

Please stay in contact.

Update: It can relate to the thyroid or vagus nerve but his would show on doper testing. Thyroid panel blood testing may be needed. Blood work - CBC and infection testing may also be needed. TMJ where twisting of the jaw takes place. Possible facial nerve trauma.

Another update: When you get into bed, try curling legs laying on either side. Place elbow under your head with hand over your forehead. Then slowing move your shoulders up and see if that gives any relief. Keep jaw relaxed. If it does, get back to me.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

Do you think it may not be pulsatile in nature then? I’m wondering because I’m hoping tinnitus treatments in the pipeline like Auricle can address this type of tinnitus.

You mention certain supplements or drugs. Would Fish Oil, Turmeric or Ginger be supplements that could cause it?

As far as drugs go, would Zyrtec cause it? Or possibly PRN Clonazepam only taken a couple times a month?

Mine isn’t a deep bass, but it’s like a generator running or something and I can feel it vibrate my ear. I also have body tremors sometimes with it when I lie down. It only started a few weeks ago.

I’ve also recently been in 24/7 hearing protection since a noxacusis setback. But I didn’t have a new “acoustic trauma” at least in the typical sense. No sound that progressively caused the setback to worse were over 70 dB and the final straw was music at 50 dB.

• Informative Informative x 1
    4. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @GoatSheep, I remember most of your history, but went to your history to see when we last talked. It was September 31, 2020. We talked about pulsatile tinnitus. I still think what I said may be valid, but radiological testing and maybe an electrocardiogram is needed to find if there's a blood flow problem. I will mention your craniotomy below.

Your generator sound most likely is pulsatile tinnitus. You had mentioned heartbeat thumping. You mention body tremors when lying down. That may have association to very brief rising of blood pressure and anxiety. You had mentioned that your dad had high blood pressure. What you described with neck problems when having whiplash as a child, may have some association along with now possible brief periods of hypertension.

Problem most likely can be fixed. You may just need blood pressure support since you appear to be stable, but under some anxiety.

I agree that your regular tinnitus with hyperacusis, TTTS and noxacusis, appears to be from prior noise. Bilateral, but reactivity only noticeable in your right ear.

I don't think that a middle fossa craniotomy to remove an inner auditory canal osteoma is a primary concern, but this could have association to hearing a hum or generator sound. I don't think meds used with having done proper tapering is a concern. Serotonergic drugs probably aren't an issue.

How loud is both your regular tinnitus and pulsatile tinnitus sounds now?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    5. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

Wow @Greg Sacramento, you keep a thorough history. Thank you for having so much concern for people to do that. You are truly a treasure to the forum.

What is blood pressure support? Is that a supplement or medication? My blood pressure is generally not high. Sometimes systolic is prehypertensive.

My tinnitus has gone down considerably over the years thankfully. I’d say the volume is a 2-3 on average. It fluctuates throughout the day.

The generator sound seems a little louder and intrusive. I’m sure because it has a physical sensation attached to it. However, it also fluctuates. I woke up at around 6am and as I laid in bed it seemed to be gone. Then towards 7 am it started to come in some. It hasn’t been too bad this morning though.

I am obese. I’m currently dieting and losing weight. Since I’ve been in 24/7 protection from stress I have not been eating much and I’ve lost almost 30 pounds in a month. Do you think that this bounding pulse issue could improve or go away if I continue to lose weight? I am tall 6’1, but I’m still weighing 250ish. I’ve read shedding 10% or more of your body weight for the obese can improve the signals received by the heart and help with palpitations and things.

My original pulsatile tinnitus in my right ear is still low. Honestly when I’m wearing hearing protection 24/7 it behaves differently or I perceive it differently. Without protection I feel like a pulsing in the upper part of my ear and hear the pulse noise. In earplugs I don’t feel it as much in my ear and more so just a sound in my neck maybe. I don’t know it’s hard to describe. In earmuffs it tends to be similar to without protection, but still not as pronounced.

One more question. Do you have any familiarity with tinnitus caused by rapid weight loss?

The Impact of Acute Loss of Weight on Eustachian Tube Function

In this study Eustachian tube issues seem to be prevalent in bariatric surgery. It appears most participants lost twice as much weight as I have so I’m not sure if 28 pounds in around a month is in the same realm for causing issues.

I’ve read one anecdotal case about this in the past and the person said putting some weight back on helped them each time. Presumably due to the issue cited in the study above of the peritubal fat being stretched out and not adjusting size once weight loss occurs.

I would love to continue to lose weight, but if it’s causing this noise I may even continue going back up in weight to try and stop this new tinnitus. I’m wondering if a slow planned weight loss after gaining the weight back would have a different result than this extreme weight loss due to anxiety and stress from noxacusis.

Thank you for your help. I hope you are doing well.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rapid weight loss would not cause tinnitus. Weight loss may improve pulsatile tinnitus.

Cholesterol can cause buildup of plaques in arteries. I don't think you have any real concerns with arteries. Maybe you received a be 'careful notice' to what you eat. :)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
    8. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

If residual inhibition works on the tone, would that mean it was not pulsatile? As far as I know residual inhibition only works on normal tinnitus.

9. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

Mine does not. I’ve seen many people on here say that theirs does. Strangely, I may have found some residual inhibition. I put on my blood pressure cuff to check my blood pressure and it makes a noise as it tightens. When it got done tightening and stopped making its buzzing noise, the hum in my ear had dropped significantly. So far it seems to work for me every time. That’s a lot of blood pressure cuff buzzing though...

10. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @GoatSheep, hypertension, high blood pressure or even just one sudden and brief episode of hypertension is the main cause of pulsatile tinnitus.

A small bell stethoscope titled to side, will commonly be used around the head, neck and other areas to listen to pulsing sounds. If a pulsing sound is heard with a stethoscope, the tinnitus is considered objective and if no pulsing sound is heard, the tinnitus is termed subjective. Medical imaging is then usually carried out to confirm blood vessel abnormalities or another problem.

Magnesium should be considered in small amount several times a day for any type of tinnitus, not to exceed 400 mg total with 24 hours.

• Like Like x 1