Back to Silence

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by I who love music, Dec 7, 2014.

tinnitus forum
    1. Robert44

Robert44 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      Hi,

how come your off benzos?? Do they affect your T at all? Thanks

2. PatrickG

PatrickG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Punch/kick to the right ear
      Hi!
      I never tried benzos. Just know that it's something I don't want to try after all I read about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      My responses went down fast and I felt better in a couple months. In a half a year I forgot I had T. A year later my responses were still going down, although few. I still do the method.

4. Jamclem
      Fine

Jamclem Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flying then Sport (Probs)
      @PatrickG what about finding a clinical trial for it or trying Trobalt? Just a suggestion. I am trying out things too. Going to a physiotherapist because mine changed because of pushups:woot:

5. Vaba
      Shitfaced

Vaba Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Gradual, Progressive
      I have trouble believing this could work for me. I suffer mainly because I'm a highly sensitive person and I have a keen attention to detail.

I'm mainly bothered by the pure distraction of the noise by itself, not the disabling anxious thoughts people talk about.

It's a joke to think I could obtain my pre-T level of brain function because studying calculus while someone is screaming in your ear is what we call an exercise in futility.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. adrian_em

adrian_em Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Firearm
      Hello Terry and all, I'm almost 2 months now since an acoustic trauma has increased my old T (also caused by acoustic traumas) and almost the same amount of time since I have discovered BTS. The last 2 weeks I left the country to attend a career course. I was very scared when I got there, in Germany, because it was supposed to be my first course with a T that affected my life, my ability to sleep and to concentrate. Now and then I would take melatonin to help me sleep, but I think it was just to assure me that I would sleep because sometimes it had no effect. I was really depressed in the first 2 days, even though in my first night I had a good sleep. The only hope and weapon were.. the paper and the pen. I never forgot to take them with me. What happened? I had a normal sleep for all the nights I spent there. 100% ability to concentrate. Less responses each day. Only good responses. Sometimes more responses, sometimes less. I did it even when I was paying attention to somebody delivering a presentation, not caring if other people near me were asking themselves why do I keep make X-es on a piece of paper.
      The T is there, but I don't hear it all the time, or I hear it most of the time but it just doesn't bother me as it used to. The problem with the sleep is that you don't just focus on T, maybe you will even start to forget about it when you have your head on the pillow but if you have the anxiety about whether will I sleep or not? then the sleep is lost. This sleep anxiety comes for me when something changes - in this case I had to go to another country and sleep somewhere else. Anything that will change, will cause you anxiety - how will I deal with this with new situation? But as time passes, the ability to get over it faster and faster will improve.
      Do I still measure it? Damn I do. I do it involuntarily and that is why I still write this. But I had times when I was busy and heard it because I remembered to think about it, and I was thinking - G, it is low, why I was bothered about it at all?...
      My recommendation is to write your responses down. It is better than to do it mentally. Writing you down makes you to really think about what you feel. Don't expect them to go down each day. You will be disappointed. After a few weeks you will start to think involuntarily - is it still there? Then you'll get anxious, because it is still there and you'll want to give up. Keep hammering even though it will take years.

• Like Like x 1
    7. nimx

nimx Member

I'm just reading about this technique. I'm done with my T, I mean it doesn't bother me. But I was just curious about some "technical" (or I should say psychological detail), any "expert" can answer me ?
      I hope I won't be OT.
      I've read someone saying "thinking about your emotional state in a given moment takes it out from your animal brain, and re-route it to the prefrontal cortex". It makes sens , still it baffles me.
      One of the main tools that helped me most getting rid of my T has been mindfulness, which sounds similiar to your technique, but instead of getting my emotional states out of my animal brain, seems to me more like changing relation in a deeper way. I listen to my emotional state, but since mindfulness states that suffering derives from the use of our thinking (prefrontal cortex), I just have to perceive emotions and stimuli (e.g. tinnitus) without judging, this "face the emotion or painful experience" in itself means you can be friend with it, you don't need to be scared, you can work with it, it stops the "doing mode" of our iper-rational mind (often useless when it comes to emotions) and let you change our innate aversion and avoidance towards what we think can make us suffer and frighten us. Because as you know, avoidance of a fear makes it grow bigger, and if it is a big suffering it may go out of control and spiral down to anxiety and depression.
      Now... i'm just curious, seems like these 2 techniques are opposites still somehow both of them seem to work. Anyone has a theory why both of them work ?
      My opinion : Looks like your technique is more like "re route from the emotional processing from limbic system to a re-framed(in a positive way) pre frontal cortex" while mindfulness is about "changing relationship with our limbic system, desensitizing it".
      I'm asking this also because it could be helpful to use one instead of the other based upon someone's personality. For example someone said "I'm too sensitive to use the re-routing technique", well, maybe using mindfulness may be better in these cases, since it won't force you to reframe a stimuli you can't manage, instead will slowly change how limbic system processes it and how it relates to our pre-frontal cortex evaluation.
      What do you think about it ?

8. adrian_em

adrian_em Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Firearm
      @nimx you may want to read the posts of the user @Silvine in the first pages of this thread. Start looking with the third page.

9. nimx

nimx Member

Thank you, interesting explanation. Looks like the one who recently said "you are re routing the process from your animal brain" was somewhat wrong, based on Silvine explanation. Though personally I find it too much complicated and focused on a single problem per time versus mindfulness so I will stick with my technique which gives a more generalized knowledge about learning and treating emotions to the extent that it becomes a new way of relating to the whole life and to both good things and adversities. Of course it's up to you what way go through.

10. Raggs
      Amazed

Raggs Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Hi @nimx ~ I'm trying to grasp what you are saying, but very hard to understand.
      If how I'm reading it, couldn't you do both?

When I stop and figure out my feelings, (anger/sadness/desperation/trapped/slightly hopeful/optimistic/despondent/despair..etc..) I can choose to just acknowledge I feel these,
      then accept that I feel a certain way, but do not judge myself on whatever I'm feeling...?
      Is this what you mean?

11. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      this is all getting just way too complicated - can we go back to basics please for those that need real help to get rid of this torture

12. Vaba
      Shitfaced

Vaba Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Gradual, Progressive
      I think you were talking about me. I failed out of 9 months of mindfulness-based CBT and two weeks of inpatient care (also CBT) without making any progress at all specifically because, since T is an omnipresent stimuli and causes me extreme distraction and existential distress, focusing on the present moment, where T is wreaking havoc, causes me to notice T, which has the effect of instantly tearing me away from reality (and mindfulness) as I try to escape it. I just zone out from the pain... I always have.

I should have mentioned that I'm a pathological escapist who suffers very badly from depersonalization. I just can't reconnect with a painful reality, escapism is burned into my personality.

• Hug Hug x 2
    13. adrian_em

adrian_em Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Firearm
      Have you tried BTS? To note down your responses to it?

14. localwrench
      Caffeine

localwrench Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      exposure to loud music , machinery
      Thanks to all involved in the post , I've read it and after talking to an hypnotist that has t and studied it for 20 years , this makes sense what he probably wants to work with me on . I will immediately start not responding in a negative way . I may address my feelings however but stating that the t is harmless is s great affirmation . In fact it is unless we let it consume us .. Much like the problems of the world .

15. Raggs
      Amazed

Raggs Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      I've been doing this for a month, my responses have really been consistent, but my feelings have changed a lot.
      Even when I'm having a good moment, I still respond, which kinda makes it a bad moment.
      Right now I'm having a bad moment..starting to lose hope ...I'll keep trying b/c I have nothing else to try anyway..
      but feeling very discouraged right now..I keep telling myself, that I really did have some good moments to
      the point I said to myself, "I hear it, and I feel relief and feel like I will be ok".
      I can't say that right now tho.....that's the fear, that maybe that will be the last time I will feel ok...and now for the rest of my life, I'm going to feel sad, angry, desperate, trapped..etc..I just don't know how I'm going to get through today...feeling very, very sorry for myself.

• Hug Hug x 1
    16. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Folks, its OKAY to state a negative feeling.
      The object of BTS is to hook the T signal to a REAL emotion, state it, and move it to another part of the brain.
      Do it right and let it work.

• Like Like x 1
    17. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Ya, me too. I'm an artist so you know I'm nuts.
      Doesn't matter.
      Keep doing the method, let it work.

• Like Like x 1
    18. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Do you realize in your post, you were talking from 2 different parts of your brain. Fascinating, isn't it?
      You started out logical then slipped back into the amygdala, stating fear and desperation.
      We can't fight T and we can't run from it. That's what the amygdala WANTS to do, but it's impossible.
      Send your feelings, good or bad, to your prefrontal cortex.
      Measure your responses, not the T sound. NOT the T sound.
      Keep at it.
      Imagine a flight of stairs. You're not going to fly up them, you're not going to transport up, like Star Trek. There's only one way. One step at a time.

• Like Like x 1
    19. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Hmmm.
      The BTS method is a coping mechanism used for a variety of things.
      Like mindfulness, this method demands you listen to your emotional state, state it, and record these instances.
      There's nothing else to do.

• Like Like x 1
    20. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Good for you.
      Many people find it hard to state their emotion and make a mark on paper. I don't know why.
      I've been saying all along, "Just do it."
      Just so you know, I started this about a year and a half ago, my responses went down fast at the beginning, then slow and steady for the next year to where I am today, about 3 responses a week. It's wonderful.
      I'm so glad you shared your story and I'm really happy for you.

• Like Like x 2
    21. localwrench
      Caffeine

localwrench Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      exposure to loud music , machinery
      rags , chin up .. you are not alone.. only in the last 3 to 4 months have I experienced any depression because of it .. yes I screwed up an got into a concert without my earplugs and lit the t back up and to levels of duress .. but I had someone point out to me some major changes going on in my life that I have not slowed down to grasp..so now that the t is there it's so easy to focus on that and not what's actually going on in my life .. I'm going to go with positive affirmations with the t , yes it bugs me if I let it ..I will tell my brain that's it's ok ,it's harmless , it's not going to kill me and I will focus on clearing some of the baggage out of my brain as well .

22. Raggs
      Amazed

Raggs Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Thanx for the responses..brings a little comfort knowing I'm not alone.

Oh dear, I've been typing and deleting my question, but as I typed it, I think I figured out my own answer.
      I couldn't figure out where my amygdala brain kicked in , in my previous post, as the fear and desperation
      stated were my measured RESPONSES. But then, I see, my amygdala brain becomes AFRAID that these
      will be the only responses I will ever have! My logical brain KNOWS these won't be the only responses
      I will ever have!

This is like psychological warfare with myself! Ugggh.

• Like Like x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    23. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      It's easier than you think.
      We do it countless times throughout the day...
      think of when you're driving and you see a car nudging the brakes at the corner. Glady we don't respond in a fight or flight way when we're given that little alert by the amygdala. All drivers have trained themselves to respond logically.

24. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      It's all in the video.
      Don't beat yourself up and don't overthink it.

• Like Like x 1
    25. nimx

nimx Member

Maybe it is hard to understand also because of my poor english :)
      Anyway... yea, kind of, the basic technique of mindfulness is a simple exercise that implies to focus on your breathing, and everytime your mind starts wandering just gently bring your attention back to the breath. Once you master this and you are able to achieve a calm mind you can go on and start noticing your feelings (or sensations, emotions, thinking etc), put your curious interest and awarness on it (there are several techniques about this, usually using your breath as a vehicle) without judgment (not only about yourself but also on what you are noticing).
      It's not that easy to explain this kind of meditation, it is difficult to understand all its subtleties until you start praticing, and once you are used to it you start to bring this approach in every day life. Our reality, which is always subjective, is shaped throught how we perceive our experiences, so working on this process about what and how you perceive experiences (both inner and outer experiences) has a profound change on your whole reality, it is a slow but strong process. You may be better to check some infos on google if it sounds interesting to you, just start from wikipedia, there are tons of scientific researches on this over the internet. I would like to suggest also a book its title is mindful way through depression (despite its name it is not just for depression :)

Re-wiring our brain is always a gradual process, and in your case I wouldn't suggest mindfulness to start from, not until you find a way to address, at least partly, your depersonalization problem. I suffered from this too for some months when my T started.

• Like Like x 1
    26. christinefisher
      Worried

christinefisher Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise
      Thank you for posting your technique. And for the success story. Many people post their problems and never return with the results to help the rest and give hope :)
      It's nice to see that you are not alone and others have the same problem with you, though I wish nobody else had it to be honest, no others to suffer too.. I try to feel I am lucky enough to be bothered only at nights from my T, but as it recently started for me, I feel desperate sometimes as I am clueless on what I could have done to prevent this, what I can do to be cured and where I did it wrong. I know I should stop this self-torturing..
      I tried your method yesterday and felt it started helping me already and slept better and less worried.
      I tend to go and measure the T volume every night and when I wake up, as my mind wants to believe one day it will be gone and will not be able to hear it; then here it is again and desperation starts again..
      Maybe the first step is to accept it will be there and decide to live normally with this no matter what.
      Thank you all for posting at this nice community and wish one day a magic pill to appear to stop this for all of us :) Until then, let's train our brain :)

• Like Like x 4
    27. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Hi Christine,
      Hey, don't worry about accepting T. Just do the method. Actually, it's kind of fun.
      And when you do it right, you'll soon see that this becomes an automatic thing. It's great.
      So forget that old T sound and play a new game - measure your little pencil marks and your energy and moods. And hopefully, pretty soon you'll be a full fledged BTS'er !!

• Like Like x 2
    28. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      UPDATE

It's been a while since I did an update. Well, it's been almost 2 years since I started this method. Looking back, most of the improvement in my energy and moods, and decreased responses to T, happened in the first couple months. As time went on there was a slow and gradual improvement over a year and a half. Now I'm responding about 3 times a week. I still do the method when I notice my T, and will forever.

I've been in contact with a few people lately and seems that step #1 is the tough one. It was for me too. Actually, on the edge of impossible. But I was lucky and felt a change in my body, more energy and a loss of fear and anxiety about T, pretty early on. These changes seemed to make me forge ahead. That's why, in the video, I say it is SO important to 'take note' of changes. Yup, it was very tough at first. That first step is a big one.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    29. i.m
      Anime

i.m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      For me: Aspartame Poisoning. For Ent: L: TMJD / R: Dunno
      @I who love music is mindfullnes usefull along with your method, in your opinion? :)

30. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      No.