Back to Silence

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by I who love music, Dec 7, 2014.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Thanks Phil-O. Happy 2017 !!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    2. AWilson32

AWilson32 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earphone use
      My T has stabilised though hasn't disappeared. My last bad spike was May last year and that was because I made the mistake of using in ear masking devices.

Since then my sleep has been much better, I take Promethazine 50mg at night. I find rain noise from my Sound Oasis machine and from my mobile phone app also helps.

I don't tend to hear it over natural background sounds like TV or the fireplace.

Do have the occasional rough night though like tonight.

• Genius Genius x 1
    3. Christo
      Amazed

Christo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, possible ear infection
      So I tried it for the last 10 minutes and the results were pretty compelling. I want to know if when you mark that you are hearing it on your paper, do you mark the feeling you associate with it as well?

4. DebInAustralia
      Not amused

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      30/12/13

As i understand this technique,

You make a note of your EMOTIONAL reaction only....

By saying * i feel .....*

5. jvlgato

jvlgato Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3:2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Labyrynthitis
      Hello! Newb here. I'll get around to introducing myself soon. But I'm so excited by this thread that I had to make this my first post.

I'm also excited by the OP's handle because I'm a decades long audiophile and the biggest hardship of all this is that I can't listen to or enjoy my awesome audio systems any more.

Curious if you or anyone else here has found a way do this. I don't need loud music. But I need it loud enough to hear details such as ambient room cues and to hear a piano's attack sound like a piano's attack, etc. And if I play music even at low moderate loudness, it flares up the tinnitus.

Sorry if this was addressed already, I read the first few pages and the last page. If it's been addressed, can someone direct me there?

Thank you for this thread and thank you all for this forum!

6. Heather D.
      Panicky

Heather D. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Played a gig with no hearing protection
      Thank you for sharing your success! Here I am sitting in a quiet room, acknowledging my T and trying to breathe past the sound and ignore it. When your T comes back, is it often in quiet settings? In this therapy that worked for you, would you say one should go cold-turkey and never attempt to mask the sound with an audible tone?
      Hoping you still come onto this forum! :)

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Hi Heather,
      Please try the method.
      If I were to describe my T right now, I'd say it's louder than usual, and the quieter ear is firing up tonight. Plus there seems to be some distant pulsating new sound.
      But guess what? I didn't hear it all day long until I came here on the forum. It happens every time. hehe
      That's OK. I'm living with it now, and not hearing it. I'm completely "Over" it.
      I have T. That's a fact. There's no cure for me. Fact.
      It doesn't matter because I don't hear it anymore. Well, OK, about once every two weeks I hear it, and say, "I hear it, I'm happy."
      Believe me, I was in BAD shape. The T sound was all over me, and in me, and eating me up. And my anxiety had turned into some kind of panic feeling, like claustrophobia or something, and I always wanted to run away or scream or something. I couldn't pay attention to people talking... well you probably watched the video.
      When I met the professional man who explained why this works, it reinforced me and his explanation made me stick to it. Quickly I improved and now it's been a few years. Yup, I've got Tinnitus but I don't hear it.
      Hang in there, and sharpen your pencil. Let the method do the rest.

BTW, this is the FIRST time I described my Tinnitus sounds in a few years. I went against rule number one. But I think I've got this under control now.

Terry

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Hi jvagato,
      I LOVE music. I love listening to it, playing it, etc.....
      I had some more damage a few years ago when I played some loud electric music. It took me a couple years to get over the spike. I couldn't play or listen to music during that time. Mostly I went around with cotton in my ears. Pretty scary. I didn't think I'd be playing music again, and certainly not through a P.A. But I am. No problem. I guess I needed time to heal and find the right method that works for me.
      When I was in that bad phase, my boy picked a mandolin note and I winced and my ears pounded and rang. It was horrible. I thought I was cooked for sure. But the horns and howling sounds went away back to a bad hiss which eventually about drove me nuts til I discovered this method. How lucky was I to find this site?
      These days I don't get around drums, I don't go to the loud concerts.. I'm busy playing my own music and attending concerts with acceptable sound levels.
      I shouldn't say this but I can crank the car CD player up again and live carelessly. I think you'll get there. I mean, you can have success too, maybe not cure your T, but not hear it. Why not? It worked for me. I'm not an expert or anything, I just did it.

Terry

• Like Like x 2
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Hi Christo,
      I made marks and in the beginning I wrote down my emotion.
      I guess the idea is to get the emotion out of one area in your head and into another, by hooking it to the emotion, I guess.
      Keep at it, NEVER gauge your T again, for the rest of your life, by the way it sounds. The only thing that matters now is your pencil and paper. I don't know what else to say. It worked. I've got T. I could describe it right now. But I don't hear it.
      This is brain stuff, and it sounds like you're ready to commit to the method. Hang in there.
      Terry

• Like Like x 3
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Hey AWilson32,
      Glad you're sleeping better, that's number one. Are you doing the method?
      Terry

• Like Like x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Hey everybody, HAPPY NEW YEAR.
      It bums me out to see all the folks on the Support page talking about worsening T, higher pitches, whooshing, depression, medicine that doesn't work, etc..
      From time to time I comment on certain posts there and I hope they click the Success Stories and try the BTS method. T is hell. Well.. WAS hell.

• Like Like x 2
    12. jvlgato

jvlgato Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3:2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Labyrynthitis
      This is so inspiring, thank you!

Can you provide any more details about how you returned to listening to music? You mentioned giving it up for a few years. When you got back to music listening, what types?

You mentioned concerts with acceptable levels. How do you know beforehand which concerts will be acceptable? If you went to one that was too loud, how did you deal with that? Ditto for audio systems. Any tips on getting back to that? Just do whatever you want and apply the technique? Build up gradually with loudness and certain types of music?

For me, using this technique has been promising so far. During silence, The T is much more tolerable. I've become aware that I tense up inside my left ear reflexively with any sound, even soft ones, and relaxing that reflexive response helps.

But any thing moderately loud, like background music, or conversation still flares it up. My dog barking, my daughter shouting, my kids having parties all still trigger that H that shoots an electric shock into my brain, shocks me into anxiety, and makes me feel vertigo and nausea. Normal volumes of music from my good audio system are actually enjoyable now since using his technique. But then I'm left with increased T and mild nausea for the rest of the day, maybe two days. And listening to music again makes me feel a little sick.

Reading all of the threads here, I feel like my problem is small compared to most. But the thing is, music has been my go to thing for everything for my whole life, especially for stress relief. Not having it for the last 2 years, combined with the avoidance of certain events and the anxiety of just going to the movies and such is really stressing me out. Plus I have a love/hate with my dog because of her barking. And I've yelled at my 12 year old daughter if she screams or talks loudly. It's an overreaction on my part, and I know it, but I can't help it because it's such a shock to my system. I've felt so alone in all this until I found this forum.

Thanks again to the OP and to anyone else who has more ideas on this.

13. Lovetotravel76
      Inspired

Lovetotravel76 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown at this point.
      I have had Tinnitus my entire life, but it has recently worsened. I have an ent appointment scheduled on Feb. 1 although I know full well there is no medical cure. I am afraid to go to bed at night due to the high pitched shrill in my head. I will try this technique as I am desperate for something to work.

14. redleg103
      Inspired

redleg103 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise?

15. redleg103
      Inspired

redleg103 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise?
      Everyone has tinnitus. Put most anyone in a quiet room and they will "hear" something. For people like us, for some reason, the neurons in our brain decided to rearrange themselves and make their presence known 24/7.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      When I was in that two year spike period, even the sound of a clicking pen bothered me. Can you believe that?
      This is the third time around that I've had to rethink and 'tone down' my life. It all started in 1974 from loud music. In 79 I went acoustic with a PA. No more rock and drums. Was OK til 1988 when I got the bug to play loud electric again. Did that for a couple years, T inscreased. Went acoustic again with PA, but T was constantly hissing. In 95 I played a couple songs in a VERY loud place, monitors on the ceiling, wall, floor, Marshalls all around... this led to temporary hearing loss and mega tinnitus for 2 years. I had to stop playing music altogether. After 2 years the T was a "Ringing" sound. I carefully got back into acoustic music. The tinnitus kept bothering me and seemed to be getting louder. I about went crazy until I discovered the method here on the forum. Now I don't hear it anymore. And I"m back to playing a lot of music, no loud rock though, and listening to CD's at an almost loud level, and feeling pretty normal. The T is loud as hell if I think about it but I don't think about it.

• Like Like x 2
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I think you'll do fine with the method if you remember to gauge your responses, not your T. That's how it works.

• Winner Winner x 1
    18. Lovetotravel76
      Inspired

Lovetotravel76 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown at this point.
      It's hard because as soon as I'm in the quiet I am overcome with the buzzing. I know I need to stop listening for it. So difficult. I think I need to relax. I tense up in the quiet which makes it worse.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. AWilson32

AWilson32 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earphone use
      Hi Terry

Sorry for the delay in replying. I haven't used the method but I take on board what you're saying. Your experience is very relatable as in the first five months I was constantly gauging my T and was on edge. My stomach would twinge as soon as I thought about the damn sound.

Since then, I've paid as little conscious thought to it as possible and that's been the key to my improvement.

I'm uncomfortable with noting down my responses to my T because of that. The best parts of the day is when you're blissfully unaware of it or not reacting to it at all. I found ways to cope like chewing gum or whistling or getting my mind to think about something else. But I will definitely consider this method.

That being said, I'm still not great at dealing with spikes (thankfully these days spikes are few and far between and fingers crossed it stays that way). I still get that gut churning anxiety especially if the spike is sudden at night.

Thanks

Andy

20. T_Freak

T_Freak Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      suddenly
      I have T problem since 2011. and tried almost everything, few years with medicine, MR head, audiogram...every possible test for hear disorder...etc and everithing is OK and a hear T. I didn't read all posts but could anyone tell me which method do you do to make T not so loud?

21. Emz96
      Angry

Emz96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/16/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      listening to loud msuic on bus it finally caught up with me
      What are the steps again? I remember one step saying I can hear my tinnitus it makes me feel and wrote down your emotions what are the other I think 3?

22. Newloud

Newloud Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      music, noise, stress, anxiety, asperger
      Just checking in to say that this method has worked wonders for me. My T perhaps isn't the most severe, but the last weeks spike has left me sleep deprived and desperate. Last night I slept again. I don't think the volume has decreased, but it sure helped me not giving a fuck.

I wonder if being mindful about your reaction really is the best way to make your brain adjust the condition. I mean, we still don't know half of what it can do, and perhaps telling ourselves, this I like, this I don't, can have an actual effect on neural pathways. Especially when there are no apparent "external" causes.

Thanks!

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I hear ya. (pun intended)

24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Yup. It's all about the pathways.

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      1. STOP reacting to your T the old way. No more wondering about it, the frequencies, etc...
      2. When it's intrusive, say, "I feel, "Your emotion."
      3. When you do this, make a mark on your paper.
      4. Write down the emotion next to the mark.

In the days and weeks to come, take note of how your responses get fewer, and take note of how your emotions change for the better.

You'll fail if you try to gauge your tinnitus to see if it's 'better.' This goes back to step one. This isn't easy, but over time you should be responding less and less, which means you're hearing it less and less. Worked for me.

• Like Like x 3
    26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      In my opinion, don't worry about stopping the listening, don't worry about if being difficult, don't worry about relaxing, don't worry about tension making it worse. Roll these things up and throw them away, like step one says. Then train your brain with steps 2 thru 4. All you need is a pencil and paper. Please try it, it's amazing.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    27. Lovetotravel76
      Inspired

Lovetotravel76 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown at this point.
      Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my concerns. You used to have the loud noise just as I do now, and I know you understand how maddening it is. I will have faith and try this method.

• Like Like x 1
    28. Emz96
      Angry

Emz96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/16/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      listening to loud msuic on bus it finally caught up with me
      THANN YOU!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 2
    29. redleg103
      Inspired

redleg103 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise?
      Good Morning, Bon Jour, Guten Aben, Aloha, Dobre Ultra, Boker Tov, et cetera,

I am one of those who scour the internet looking for THE answer/s. I look for positive stories to help me through what I am going through. (My T and H was murder at the beginning, but my brain put it to the background. Recently, after two dental appointments, it came back with a vengeance.)

Often, when I finally locate a positive story that makes me feel, well, positive, close on its heels is a story from some pour soul saying, abandon all hope!. Have the administrators of this site considered having a section where they actively filter the posts and create a positive stories Hall of Fame? We can still have those sections for dialogue; but, it would be nice to go somewhere where we know we'll be inspired to carry on without be told soon after that we are fubar'd.

30. VRZ78

VRZ78 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      infection
      Were you using earplugs when playing ?