Back to Silence

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by I who love music, Dec 7, 2014.

1. OverSoft

OverSoft Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Just had to register to say thank you to both IWLM and Silvine.

I'm 32, self-employed and living in the south of the Netherlands.
      I "caught" T from attending a very loud concert without earplugs and (presumably) an ear infection at the same time.

Although my tinnitus is only a little over a month "old", i was suffering greatly. (Couldn't think about anything else, had little to no sleep, only masking helped me work, was avoiding social events)
      I decided not to let T ruin my life.

I read the Tinnitus Retraining Therapy book (the original one, for therapists) and combined the "techniques" in TRT (well, they're not really techniques, they're mainly just convincing yourself T is harmless and getting used to the ringing) with the methods written here (both the EMDR-like technique described by Silvine and the mental trick to stop measuring volume, but measuring emotion described by IWLM).

I started about 2 weeks ago, and i noticed immediate effect! I did not really document my first week, but i noticed i was responding to my T a lot less at the end of the week. I also combined my mindfulness training i do every night with the rapid eye movement (EMDR) subconscious technique. So i relax first with mindfulness (for the mindfulness practicers here: i do a bodyscan) and then practice my EMDR technique in front of the mirror for a couple of minutes.

I've noticed i respond less and less every time. I could even enjoy my hobbies for an entire glorious day (i dabble in music production at home) without a single notice of my T. It actually works!

Now, luckily for my, in the beginning i had some H, but that faded, also because of the things i read online (try not to respond to loud noises, get accustomed to them again) and only VERY occasionally pops up. I still have some weird pops and clicks in my right ear (sound like my ear is "clipping" with loud speech or noise), but i have a doctors appointment for that in 2 weeks (yes, our waiting lists for our ear doctors here in The Netherlands are that long... 5 weeks...).

I did have a major relapse 2 days ago though, because of a very stressful day (work, and my wife is also pretty sick) and since i'm not really used to the technique yet, i had the same anger and fear i had when it first popped up. It got the better of me yet again and it almost seemed like i forgot my routine from the techniques i learned. Today, i revisited this thread and read up on a lot of the tips and tricks you two guys gave here, it all came back and immediately put me at ease.

I do use sleepphones at night, because it still gets the better of me sometimes and a good nights sleep does WONDERS. (Believe me, money well spent right there, it's like a headband with speakers in it where you can lay on like normal) But i do believe in a T-free future right now. If i can change my attitude from T to somewhere that i do not care anymore, that for me is the ultimate goal.

Thanks again!

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
    2. Screamin Ears
      Crappy

Screamin Ears Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This method of acknowledging the T and making a mark on paper and writing how you feel each time you hear it..... How do you do that when you hear it every waking minute of the day?, i cant just sit there writing non stop from the time i wake up till the time i go to sleep.

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    3. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing and now somatic T dental work
      @Screamin Ears I read that you mentioned that your physical tinnitus is almost actually like mine. We both have tinnitus that can move strong to the other ear, but still present in both ears.

With T moving to other ear - I have read that sometimes regardless of the cause, there's a pair of muscles, joints, nerves or veins where one side is off balance. This can cause tinnitus to move around and be more sensitive, often when laying down. The brain reacts quick to this.

A weak disc in the spine - upper or lower can also cause T to move around. With me it may be my cervical spine where discs rotate with movement or pressure.

Just thoughts, but I really wanted to say hello and to say I understand and relate.

4. Luman
      Blah

Luman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      I've been using the method for about six weeks. I don't write every time I hear it, I just do the best I can, when it's bothering me. If there's no time to write, I just make a mental note. I try to follow the main points which includes trying to break the habit of listening for it, replacing your reactions with responses, noticing that your emotions are changing, and tracking your progress. At around midnight every night, I write down in one or two words how I feel, the new date, and a prediction of how many responses I'll make over the next 24 hours. At this point, I still hear my T most of the time, but my marks and responses are down to about a half dozen or less per day, which is far fewer than I had during the first couple of weeks when I started.

• Like Like x 4
    5. Shera
      Bookworm

Shera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/9/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      head trama caused TMJ/neck problems
      @Screamin Ears I never did the write down stuff. After all I hear mine everywhere and it's rarely masked. Instead I used the part where I hear it and I thought of how it made me feel. It slowly helped me to alter my thoughts. So when I hear it I don't react in such fear and so on.

Luman' s post above is the best answer for how that works.

• Like Like x 2
    6. Mark G H

Mark G H Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress induced / Propranolol medication?
      This is Brilliant. It makes a lot of sense to me and I look forward to trying out this method.

I have recently been experiencing loud, constant 24/7 invasive T for around 5 months after years of stress followed by a pretty bad nervous breakdown. I currently have a very negative emotional response to my T with fleeting moments of neutral responses.

History - I had previously habituated to my Tinnitus - to the point where I’d only notice spikes but I wouldn’t think about my T unless I actually thought about it, if that makes sense. In any case, i always knew and believed my T would settle down after any duration of any spike. I’ve had Tinnitus in total for around 15 years. Looking back - I always maintained a neutral response to T, nothing more than an acknowledgement, unlike now.

This idea makes sense. By acknowledging the T when it’s at the forefront of your mind and putting pen to paper to actually describe it, (instead of gauging / monitoring it all of the time) your mind, as you would expect, would soon grow tired and bored of this mundane logging process and soon begin to auto filter out the noise. Sounds like a plan @I who love music

Wish me luck!:cool:

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. Luman
      Blah

Luman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You got it, good luck!

• Like Like x 1
    8. Tharos
      Happy

Tharos Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Since I can remember
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, but more significant after loud concert
      Guys, I'd like to let you know that I have continuous success with this approach. Yep! :)

I stick on this method since I believe that it's very important not to leave it too early.

Let me tell you how things are going in my life after about three months on this method. I only make marks on paper when I respond to my T with some negative feeling and these days I only make around two or three marks per day. I still hear my T many times every day (because I taught my brain to hear it very well in the past) but today I'm somehow indifferent to it. I mean that my T rarely invokes any emotion or feeling in my body/mind.

But that's not all! :) I also realized that my brain started to filter that sound out occasionally. It's funny how it works. When I'm in a room with some sound enrichment (ticking wall clock, refrigerator…) I realized that when I focus my attention to some source of a real sound my brain then starts to filter T out somehow. However sometimes my brain decides to focus my attention to the T signal and then it pops in my head significantly. :) It usually lasts for few seconds and after that my brain usually starts to filter T out again. And this repeats over and over again. Funny. :)

But this proves to me that my brain is capable to shut T signal off completely and all I have to do is to give it time and stick on this method until I forget about T completely.

Btw, my life is completely back in normal these days. I sleep great (without masking sound), eat great, I feel full of energy and I fully enjoy my life again. My initial isomnia, eating troubles, anxiety etc are gone. To be honest I start to enjoy my condition somehow since this experience really makes me stronger and teaches me alot about mind and brain capabilites. I plan to apply something like BTS to another issues in my life. :)

I'd like to thank you @I who love music again for your story and for sharing your great experience!

• Like x 5
      • Agree x 1
      • Helpful x 1
      • Optimistic x 1
      • Creative x 1
    9. Luman
      Blah

Luman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you, @Tharos, for a very positive and encouraging report.

10. Soundgarden
      Approved

Soundgarden Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      depression- anxiety - stress
      Great story and it does make sense. Congratulations on the success of ... :)

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Glad to hear your story !!!

• Like Like x 3
    12. pathworker2017
      No Mood

pathworker2017 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 approx
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      currently unknown, conductive hearing loss suspected
      @Tharos wonderful story, keep that up. :) you are doing brilliantly.

13. ckes101

ckes101 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      load music in my youth (now i know how foolish i was)
      Hello Terry
      Thank you so much for your BTS video it has given me new hope. As like yourself i have tried every lotion and potion out there. Anyways i will keep it brief but i have just one question....In your excellent video you say not to over think it......so i am not going to. I hear my T all the time and my consciousness is locked onto it. So i say to myself i hear it and i feel (what ever emotion) at this point my focus always shifts to my stomach area as that is where i feel the emotion. What i mean is this..Since using the BTS method i have noticed that my stomach always has the tight feeling you get when frightened also i notice my heart pounding (again a symptom of fear) in your opinion is this the correct way to do the the method ? so i hear T , i say i hear it and i feel scared , and the act of saying that makes me notice the tightness in my stomach and sometimes in my whole body? Your advice is more than appreciated thank you....

14. pathworker2017
      No Mood

pathworker2017 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 approx
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      currently unknown, conductive hearing loss suspected
      @I who love music, I went back to your initial post where you described your discovery, and it got me thinking. we are so conditioned to expect that, for something to be effective it has to be complex. sophisticated etc yet we neglect the power of simplicity.

I have often found simple approaches are fare more effective than convoluted treatments. Now I am starting to wonder , if we where to strip away all the fancy stuff from a lot of today's treatments there are probably some very simple underlying principles hidden away in the small print, so to speak.

I also have an interest in music and therein lies the problem. because i like to experiment with sound I am constantly listening to the subtle tonal shifts and interplay of frequencies in my T.wrong approach I guess. :)

The method you described, focusing on the reaction to the T rather than directly at the T itself is so neat and elegant.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Yup, simple and effective. It changed my life.
      Terry

• Like Like x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Honesty. Whatever your emotion is, say it, or write it, and send it on its way. It takes time. Start thinking about your responses ONLY, not the T sounds. This new pattern of behavior can be changed quicker than you think. Whatever you do, don't stop now.
      Terry

17. rpalmquist

rpalmquist Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      I just want to say thanks for the original poster. Although this method didn't work for me, it lead me down a path I found in which I do now feel completely cured from my T. I used to have difficulty hearing conversations, talking on the phone was a real challenge, TV was watched using captioning, and sleep was extremely difficult. Now I hear the T about one a week, but it's sort of like an old friend (that really sounds strange now considering where I was a year ago). When I hear it, it goes away. My journey to a cure is more than I can write in a post, much more. At some point I hope to get time to write it all out but it'll be more along the lines of a book than a few paragraphs. So thanks for posting your experience, I benefited greatly from it, and I hope to get the time to write about my experience as well.

18. hulagirl
      Creative

hulagirl Member

Tinnitus Since:

19. David G
      Movie buff

David G Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music + ETD
      Do you still notice it when you go to bed or wake up?

20. Ph0t0n

Ph0t0n Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dentist drill
      Patient: Doctor, help me! I have a pinched nerve in my spine and it's really painful.
      Doctor: Just don't think about it.
      Patient: Wow! You cured me! Thank you so much!
      Doctor: That'll be $1,000. Close the door on your way out.

• Winner Winner x 1
    21. threefirefour
      Rebellious

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pretty much gone tbh
      6fb16463a1382653b224a58375deef1c.jpg

Inspired me to make this. Thanks.

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      No I don't.
      If I say to myself, "Is my T there?" Then I hear it. Weird, huh?

23. Hazel
      Dreaming

Hazel Manager Staff Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one-sided hearing loss (of unknown origin)
      It sounds like you are becoming aware of your emotional and related physical responses to your tinnitus. It would seem to me that's a good thing, since the method is all about registering your responses (negative or otherwise). I think how this method works (not being an expert and not having practiced the method myself) is that by making you aware of your own responses (thoughts/feelings), over time, you start viewing these more objectively and therefore automatically, over time, the response becomes less negative. As soon as your responses become overwhelmingly neutral, your brain will stop listening for the T. It's really similar in a way to mindfulness (which I do practice) or CBT, only simpler.

@I who love music , I love your post and am very happy for you that you've finally found peace. Well done also for ignoring the negative comments above. If it works for you, and it apparently has helped many others as well, that's all that matters!

• Like Like x 1
    24. Benoves

Benoves Member

Tinnitus Since:
      26-9-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknow possibly noise trauma
      I would appreciate to hear it.

25. Tharos
      Happy

Tharos Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Since I can remember
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I would like to show you how T and H leave my daily life.

I stopped making marks on paper recently and replaced it by daily summary of how much I was affected by T and H in given day. I made a custom scale from 0 (best) to 5 (worst) and I every evening I match my day against this scale (I made a short description for every level) and make some notes when there is something worth noting.

I'd like to show you a graph made from my notes:

9pxQNQ4.jpg

There are some interesting things I'd like to share with you:

1) It's slow but T and H clearly fades away from my life. :)

2) You can see some spikes on that graph. I realised that my reaction to T and H significantly fluctuates with my overall mood and condition. When I have a bad day where everything goes wrong I also tend to be more aware of T and also more bothered by sounds. It's funny but sometimes it's like if I blamed T for not catching my bus. :) On the opposite side there are days without any extra load (usually weekends) and during that days I'm generally less aware of T. I recognized this pattern and since that I don't care about bad days. They are just what they are: bad days. Better days always follow. :) Important for me is the overal trend.

3) It is interesting that my H goes hand in hand with my T. As my T fades so does my H and vice versa. Maybe H is more about some subconscious anxiety (OMG, my hearing is damaged somehow…) than about some irreversible damage. In short, if you convince your brain that you hearing is seriously damaged, it will naturally decrease sound tolerance level in order to prevent you from any further damage. And decreasing sound tolerance is very powerful way how to achieve it…… :)

From what I learned and experienced I start to think that T suffering is very similar to so called Somatic OCD. I recommend you to read following two articles:

http://beyondocd.org/expert-perspec...s-become-conscious-how-to-disengage-from-sens
      https://www.newharbinger.com/blog/somatic-ocd-and-reclaiming-mindfulness

You can for example dehabituate eye blinking and develop a serious condition:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1139

In my opinion dealing with T is not simply about not thiking about it. Once you develop some obsession, it is almost imposible to control your mind and force it to stop thinging about T. You mind just has some reason why it thinks about T and monitor it. You have to address that reasons and as they evaporate you mind will stop monitor it and thinking about it. And that's the end. Once you achieve this your T will fade and fade and fade from your life over time and time…

This is how it works for me. I used to think about T even while I couldn't hear it (while walking along the river for example), now I don't think about it even when I hear it. My mind no longer has any reason to think about it.

• Like Like x 5
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    26. LouisM

LouisM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Dec 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss
      Terry,
      I am interested in more detail about this method. Where could I find out more about it.?
      Louis

27. Tharos
      Happy

Tharos Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Since I can remember
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Terry, may I ask you one question? When working with loud tools, do you notice your T when you put on your hearing protection muffs?

I still do and I would be amazed if you don't. :)

28. ughbree

ughbree Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Late January early February 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      You have a beautiful brilliant mind. I have kept your words in my thoughts during the time my T made me feel like just breaking down. It has helped me a lot so I thank you and wish you all the best!

• Like Like x 1
    29. Swannys
      Panicky

Swannys Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure possibly stress
      Hi @Silvine I am new to all this and REALLY struggling at the moment!!! Can you please point me in the direction of your affirmations and 3 word techniques that everyone is talking about it I can't find it thank you

30. Swannys
      Panicky

Swannys Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure possibly stress
      @I who love music
      Hi wow so much positivity thank you. I am in the very early stages of this terrible T, 3 months!! REALLY struggling, prozac, sleeping pills, diazepam etc. I am really interested in your BTS approach and would like to combine it with Silvines approach with the affirmations and EMDR etc but cannot find the instructions to this anywhere, can you post the link to this pleas x

• Friendly Friendly x 1