Back to Silence

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by I who love music, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Ken219
      No Mood

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      @Swannys I understand your struggles. I have had some bad times too. During the very bad times I take prozac, sleeping pills, diazepam. It is important that you get sleep. I do rehabilitate after a year or so. How are you doing with the meds?

2. Swannys
      Panicky

Swannys Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure possibly stress
      Hi @Ken219 thank you for your reply. Im doing ok with the meds. How long did it take you to rehabilitate and how did you do it?

3. Ken219
      No Mood

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      @Swannys I have had a few relapses over the years. I took meditation, Bio-Feedback, cognitive therapy, and meds. Relapses occur for no particular reason. I usually habituate within 18 months. For me sleep is the most important element. It has been a long straight journey. Hang in there.

4. Swannys
      Panicky

Swannys Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure possibly stress
      Hi @Ken219 thanks so are you habituated again now and it doesn’t bother you?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Watch the video on the first page of this thread. Hang in there, stick to it, and don't tweek it. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Swannys
      Panicky

Swannys Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure possibly stress
      Hi @I who love music thanks I have watched the video, and I hear it ALL the time and I am REALLY struggling with this f***ing noise!!! Sorry but I can't carry on like this! If I hear it 24/7 do I say "I hear it and I feel angry/pissed off/etc all the time?

7. paganismos
      Angelic

paganismos Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Syringing (Acoustic Trauma)
      Hey, thank you @I who love music !

(I identify with your username a whole lot, lmao)

I had my first spike today, on day 7th since the onset... Not sure if spike is the right word as I am on prednisone right now and it happens. But yeah, I lied in bed and heard it go louder and louder. I'm a spanish speaker, so I repeated it in spanish. It didn't work the first time, so I did it another 8 or 9 times and was surprised when the pitch went down!

Thank you, I'll keep doing it, even when there are not major spikes.

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      That's what I did and it worked. Hang in there.

• Like Like x 1
    9. PamelaNY

PamelaNY Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This technique has been very helpful to me. Thank you.

10. Bassplayer

Bassplayer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      I’ve just watched the video in Post 1. I relate to a lot of it and see how this technique will help many.

I think the main difference in the way I overcame T is that I didn’t write down my emotions each time I heard my T. I just looked back to the last time I heard it and noticed over time that the period got longer and longer between events. Seconds to minutes, minutes to hours, hours to days, days to weeks. weeks to months.

I believe it’s all to do with gaining confidence in the brains natural ability to rewire itself so it no longer sees the T as a threat. Once the fight or flight response to the T diminishes, the added benefit is that the T, when you do hear it, doesn’t appear so loud (fight or flight causes heightened senses including hearing!).

I think it’s a similar process people go through with many ailments. Once the brain no longer sees it as a threat, or nothing can be done about it, it reduces attention to it. Pain for example is a very useful warning response in nature, however I’m sure it’s not designed to drag us down forever.

So ironically,when doctors used to say “forget about it and it will go away” , they were kind of right but what they didn’t know was that there are steps to achieve this.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
      • Like Like x 2
    11. Ryan98270

Ryan98270 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I am 1 month in with my T, 3 separate tones. 1 in each ear and another thats centralized but slightly moves back and forth. This one is constant and I can actually feel it move across when it does go from left to right as if its irritating the nearby sensors in my brain as it moves. This sound is 24/7, but does vary in loudness depending on what im doing. Can I still somehow employ this method? I ask because for me its not a matter or noticing my T, the second someone stops talking to me or the second I solved whatever quick issue I was working on is over its at the forefront again. Throughout the conversation I hear it its just less towards the front if I can get distracted enough. I guess my question is, can I chart my emotion when I notice it, or would I have to first "un-notice" it? Still havent got there yet...
      Thank you

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Yes, please try the method. The steps are always the same.
      1- STOP talking and thinking about it.
      2- WRITE down your emotion when it's intrusive, and make a check mark. Say,"I hear it, and I feel..........."
      3- TRACK your notes at least once a week, noticing how they are lessening.

While doing this, you'll be training your brain to hide the tinnitus, this is my understanding of this simple yet very complex method. Give it time and stick to it.

• Like Like x 3
    13. Bassplayer

Bassplayer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      The only issue with this technique is that by tracking the written notes each week, it is also a reminder you have T. Like Oasis machines etc, this may be a useful aid in the earlier stages of T but ANYTHING which reminds you of T won’t help (including T forums!). So your Step 1 is the most important.

As you say, in the end you want to stop thinking and talking about the T. It might be better to just to observe mentally (when you do notice it) that the periods of not noticing it, get longer and longer.

That’s what i did anyway and it seemed to work...

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...lp-those-going-through-the-panic-stage.27116/

• Like Like x 1
    14. Phil-O

Phil-O Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Thanks again @I who love music , nearly 2 years now for me since I started this. Don't know how it works, takes time, and patience. In fact to be honest I didn't think it would work for me. The only 'problem' as your life gets back to normal and T noise becomes unimportant to your brain, you can forget you have T and expose yourself to noise without taking care eg not using ear defenders for DIY etc. Very rarely, usually during periods of stress, I do use my behind ear white noise generators but not often. Hope this makes sense. Best Wishes Phil

• Winner Winner x 1
    15. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      @I who love music
      Hi Terry,
      Can you please explain how can this method work on a tinnitus that can be heard 24/7?
      For example, watching TV or being in bed?
      I guess it's a bit easier to ignore while we are on the go but what about times when we do nothing and it's blaring away non stop.
      I know you don't want to describe your noise but somehow I doubt it was LOUD enough, no offence. If you make a mark 40-50 times a day that clearly means you couldn't hear it but occasionally.
      Hope you can help!
      Regards,
      Val

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I don't mind describing my T sound now. LOUD! Hisses and squeals and sometimes screams.
      But I don't hear it unless I'm thinking about it or talking (or typing) about it, like now. hehe
      I had LOTS of marks on the paper for the first few weeks. But after only the first few days I noticed they were going down in number. THAT kept me going. Just that, nothing else, and the method did the rest.
      My T today is no different than when I started the method. I just don't notice it anymore. And although I used to be fearful talking about it, I don't anymore. It's crazy.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Hi Phil!
      So glad for you.
      Ya, I'm having some hyperacusis today from loud headphones last night. But I don't care, it'll pass.
      Crazy, huh? Headphones, who would have thought?
      Terry

• Like Like x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Mark, YES - that's exactly what happened to me! I grew tired of making the marks and the T faded. So simple.
      Terry

• Like Like x 1
    19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I work in my garage almost every day, putting headphones on and off probably 50 times a day. I never notice my T with headphone ear protectors. But if you were standing here and said, "Put your headphones on and see if you hear your T," I would probably say yes.
      In other words, if I'm not talking about it or thinking about it, I don't hear it. And that's the best I can hope for because I know mine will never go away.

• Like Like x 2
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Thanks. I'm not brilliant, I'm an artist. Maybe that makes it easier to believe in the unknown, or the unseen, I don't know. But this works. Hang in there!
      Terry

• Like Like x 2
    21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Hey folks,
      Did you ever believe in something in your life, all the way? I mean 100 percent?
      I'm curious.

Terry

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Hi,
      I LOVE playing with equalizers, and all my life I've played music, taught music, made instruments etc... until the dreaded day came a few years ago when I overdid it. I honestly didn't think the T would subside but it did. Then I was left with a constant and irritating new high pitched T sound that led me to this group to discover this method.
      Yup, it's simple. It couldn't be easier. I didn't believe such a simple thing could work but I was desperate. There was no other solution left to try. I simply stuck to it. (there's that 'simple' word again)
      I trashed my ears as a teenager, then
      in my 20's I played acoustic instruments miked, then
      I did that and a lot of recording with no T problems, but
      the day came a few years ago when I jammed with some friends in a LOUD room, Marshall stacks and so on, and
      I suffered for 2 years because of that one night, then
      I was left with new, constant and bad T that drove me nuts, until
      I discovered this method here.
      Whew.
      Anyway, it's good to be back in the music again.
      Terry

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    23. Ying_X79

Ying_X79 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Only very a few people who have recovered or habituated keep going back to T forums to help other people. Thanks for coming back and helping.

• Like Like x 1
    24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      You're welcome.
      I learned the method here, so I owe it to the group.
      Terry

• Like Like x 2
    25. CsaulNol

CsaulNol Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      How long (time) were you exposed to all this loud music?

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Age 12 to 16. I played the drums and practiced with very loud music in headphones. In the early 70's.

27. CsaulNol

CsaulNol Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Wow although I am not a drummer I can relate I play guitar but have also been exposed to loud noise. I am currently 20 and suffering from tinnitus.

28. Louis.m
      Asleep

Louis.m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud headphones and industrial machinery.
      @I who love music

I've only heard about all of this today, it looks promising and I can't wait to get started, I think or say to myself "tinnitus is harmless, I can hear it but I don't care" afterward I will get stuck into my daily activities until I hear it again, do you think that is good?

I'm still not 100% sure how to approach this correctly.

Regardless I'm so very greatful that this information is available and you are still helping people.

A major concern of mine is that I would love to continue learning how to play the guitar and even get into singing and editing / creating music, do you have any advice on how I could do that with minimal risk of worsening T or my hearing? Volume and equipment wise.
      (I don't plan on playing live, mostly recording for YouTube videos)

29. Louis.m
      Asleep

Louis.m Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud headphones and industrial machinery.
      Scratch most of that, last night and this morning every time I heard ringing I would say in my head "I hear T, and that makes me feel sad" every time I did that i would also put my head down and even though I might not have been I would in a sense make myself feel sad, every time I did this the sound went down noticeably, from not being able to sleep because of it to only noticeable when it is a silent room or i have ear plugs in, I was so worried, but oh man now I am so relieved, thank you! thank you!! thank you!!!

I'll keep looking into what I can do to protect my ears and prevent any further damage, headphones are out the window and I left my noisy job, I prey others will find the same success, don't lost hope, and don't get lost to that sound! he is right, don't listen to or measure the sound, it only makes it get louder, I was so scared and stressed and worried that I would be stuck with it, I'd here it and hate it and all that did was make me hear it even more, I haven't the faintest clue how it works but by god it does! I can still hear it, right now because I have earplugs in as it is rather loud outside, heck, even when they aren't in I can hear it, but it is manageable, I have found little success with thinking other things like "angry" "depressed" "scared" "worried" which is odd but nevertheless I'm exited!! thank you so much IWLM, I would have lost all hope if it wasn't for finding this thread of yours, thank you!

30. buggie10
      Sunshine

buggie10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @ I who love music

I am a newbie to this site as well as T &H (onset 11/11/17). I am also a serious music lover, it runs through my veins, an avid audiophile collecting LPs since my teens and of course enjoyed music at an absurdly loud volume on high end stereo equipment. I came across your post by focusing on success stories. It is an understatement to say "Back To Silence" is a gift to us ALL...THANK YOU...while I am far from where you are, I do believe this will be the start a of a new beginning. As many here, I share several of the same issues and symptoms rather similar to yours especially. I humbly ask you a question and hope for a response with your insight/success will serve me well: (I do have hearing loss - have had hearing test, etc).

I go to physical therapy once a week (neck and shoulder chronic pain) the phones in this office are magnified when they ring it's close to 80 decibels, and rings throughout the office-- and the door chime is the same...the exercise floor is a bit noisy too, as well as the ultrasound beeping at the end of my ultrasound treatment of the neck right next to my ears! I have taken to wearing earplugs. Any thoughts about wearing earplugs while being treated by my PT as well as during exercise? He insisted that any of the noise levels in his office would not be an issue even to me - I just gave up trying to explain it to him. Any advice would be appreciated tremendously. Thanks again! (Anyone else please feel free to chime in here)..Should I continue to protect my ears in this environment? (The earplugs are not drugstore variety but professional musician's earplugs).