Back to Silence

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by I who love music, Dec 7, 2014.

1. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing and now somatic T dental work
      @buggie10 For those that have physical related tinnitus (neck) even with a little hearing loss, then loud noise (nerve filters) is a concern. I recently posted a link that explains this in detail. Professionals mention that it's not wise to use hearing protection for long periods on a regular basis because it can lower auditory threshold. I would protect your ears in any environment where there's loud noise and use caution more so if your neck is primary or secondary to your tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. buggie10
      Sunshine

buggie10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @ Gregg, thanks so very much. I am weaning off of overprotecting. Looking forward to reading your thread. My ear protection is 19, 14, and 11 decibels and use each level accordingly.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      It sounds like you're on the right track!!

• Like Like x 1
    4. Mike T

Mike T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Amlodipine "I Think"
      Hi

I got my tinnitus about 3 months ago now. and like many new to this condition have had a hard time at the start, which has sent my mind to some dark places.

I have read your post and have been making notes of my reactions over the last few days, and over the last 2 to 3 days my response is more "I hear it and its an annoyance" and "I hear it and its just a slight distraction" rather than the much more negative reactions I had a couple of weeks ago.

Hopefully I an starting to turn a corner as my reaction to tinnitus seems too be changing, I am not as down and have started to look forward to things again. It really would be lovely not to hear a constant noise though so I will keep at this and keep my positive mindset.

I have been just saying out loud to myself my reaction and jotting a tick in my notebook , I will also do the tick and a note of my reaction to my Tinnitus to see the pattern.

Thank You "I Who Love Music"

• Like Like x 3
    5. pathworker2017
      No Mood

pathworker2017 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 approx
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      currently unknown, conductive hearing loss suspected
      @Mike T that is very encouraging. gently does at and you will have fewer times in those dark corners., mindfulness meditation can also help ( at least in my case it has helped) since this can allow you to observe the tinnitus devoid of emotional reactions which has the beneficial effect of reducing the potential of perceived worsening.

6. Mike T

Mike T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Amlodipine "I Think"
      @pathworker2017 I have started to go down that route I saw a hypnotherapist / Psychotherapist who has dealt with people suffering from tinnitus. Before going I was not sure what she could or would do with what seems like a physical condition. It turned out she concentates on positivity and getting me to feel ok about myself, this in turn has helped me to start to change my view of the condition. I have only had 4 sessions but feel it is helping me as I can see the change in my attitude.

I have also tried to do meditation listening to my physical presence and blanking other thoughts out, I need to do this more at first it seemed strange and wrong wanting to hear the noise so I stopped. But as my fear is not what it was a few weeks ago it may be a good time to do it more.

Hypnotherapy has also got me reading on psychotherapy and how the brain interprits information and how different parts of the brain react to stress, Which lends itself well to the method on this topic. i.e the Limbic system reacts to external stimuli so hearing a voice say things about your tinnitus even if its your own voice, will reassure that primal part of the brain that the noise is not a threat and doing it regularly will give the message more affirmation.

I also went to a yoga class. To get back doing some fitness I used to go to the gym 3 or 4 times a week but havent bothered since I developed tinnitus. Yoga looked easy and it has that inner peace, I can do a plank for over 3 minuites so no problem, I was wrong overdid it and have had a stiff neck all week :)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
      • Like Like x 1
    7. Chad Lawton

Chad Lawton Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/19/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possible Ototoxicity + Noise Exposure
      I think I will give this a shot but I feel like the first few days are going to be me reciting a mantra 24/7 because my brain is so addicted to listening to the noise lol

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    8. pathworker2017
      No Mood

pathworker2017 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 approx
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      currently unknown, conductive hearing loss suspected
      @Mike T , regarding"blanking out your thoughts" as odd as this may sound the trick here is not to force ably blank off any thoughts but instead, acknowledge that you have them and let them pass, it may appear that you are having more thoughts then usual whist in the meditative state, in fact what is really happening here is that you are more aware of your thoughts., the trick is to observe the thoughts dispassionately without reacting to, and thereby feeding them. that bit does take some time to achieve but it is well worth persevering. having regard to the hypnotherapy. your therapist should over time instruct you in self induction( which in itself is not particularly difficult). good luck and I hoe you get to a point where your T is not a major issue.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Mike T

Mike T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Amlodipine "I Think"
      @pathworker2017 Thanks I will keep going at meditation, My hypnotherapist has already given me guided hypnotherapy mp3s she has done which I do every day and feel its helping. Im typing this now and hear nothing so have a good feeling that over time I will be back to normal.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      This is an important and most helpful success stories thread.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Hi
      Don't even worry about staying positive, just do the method, it will do the rest for you. It's simple and amazing.
      Hang in there, Terry

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. Henry Orlando FL
      Balanced

Henry Orlando FL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud sound via earbuds from a digital device.
      I am grateful to have found tinnitustalk.com and in particular this string.

I have had tinnitus with hyperacusis (extreme sensitivity to even everyday sounds) since 2011 (due to loud sounds via earbuds). I had reached habituation (not hearing the sounds at all most days or some days only a few times a day or less with no bother when the sounds are heard) since 2012. The hyperacusis was gone as well. I achieved habituation mostly via Kevin Hogan’s program back in 2011/2012 that you can find here:

http://store.kevinhogan.com/tinnitusreductionprogramwithbook.aspx

I did not use the Xanax Hogan recommends for someone newly with Tinnitus in 2011 but I did use a low dose of Trazadone for a few months to get to sleep prescribed by my MD. As I got better via the hypnosis part of Hogan’s program, I stopped the Trazadone. I did use a small dose (100 to 200 mg) of L-Theanine that is an amino acid available in most health food stores in the USA to help get to sleep after that for some time. L-Theanine is generally regarded as safe by the USA FDA with no known side effects.

I also joined the American Tinnitus Association = www.ata.org. This is the not for profit national organization in the USA for those with Tinnitus. They have a lot of good information on their website then and even more now.

Finally, I did mindfulness meditation as well. I still use it today.

Then about 3 months ago my Tinnitus became seemingly much worse though exposure to a very loud sound via earbuds. The Hyperacusis was back as well. Sent me back to close to the beginning in 2011.

This new event started me off looking into how to deal with what seemed like louder Tinnitus in 2018 as compared to 2011. Much of the same stuff I dealt with in 2011 came roaring back. Big time anxiety, inability to get to sleep, checking in constantly on the level of the sound, comparing, even thoughts of suicide returned.

Then I found TinnitusTalk.com and this particular thread. I read the whole thread. As I read it, I cut/pasted out those I thought were the most important posts in a Word document. I had 42 pages of those “important ones” that I then went through them reading them all again and highlighting the important parts. I then thought I had a good sense of how to apply “the method” and I was confident it could work. Well, I am here to tell you it indeed does work. Fast. It only took a few days for my rate of hearing it went down from countless times (so many it was pointless to make hash marks for that many times) to 10 or 20 a day and now down to about 3 to 5x a day with no upset when I hear the sounds. The hyperacusis is gone as well. You probably don't have to do all the work I did to digest the method of course...that is just me he says with a smile.

Now to be fair I also started up the hypnosis part of Kevin Hogan’s program again and I did up the usage of L-Theanine to include evenings for a while to reduce my overall anxiety. I discontinued the mindfulness meditation as well for a while but I am back at it now.

I do want everyone to know that I ran across in my recent research an online course for those interested in mindfulness meditation called the Mindfulness-Based Tinnitus Stress Reduction = www.mindfultinnitusrelief.com. It is an eight-week online course by a clinical psychologist. It is specialized just for those with Tinnitus. I have not done the course but I have done other mindfulness meditation courses and always find them of benefit.

I can tell you I doubt I would have gotten this far, this fast without: “I hear my Tinnitus. I feel _______ (insert current feeling here).” It is my mantra every time I hear the sounds. It certainly interrupts the “check-in” and “comparison” aspects that seem to go with tinnitus that appear to feed the hijacking of the brain by tinnitus.

Bottom line. It worked for me. Cannot see why it would not work for others. Once again thank you for the gift of the “Back to Silence” method. It works if you work it I found.

Hope this is helpful!

• Like Like x 4
      • Informative Informative x 2
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      "it works if you work it," I like that!!

• Like Like x 1
    14. Marlino
      Cowboy

Marlino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      @I who love music:
      After a long time I just came across this very genius thread again and I have a question about it.

On my bad days, which can be as many as 2-4 a week, not only I am hearing my T over everything but the shower, but also it can be very painful. When I am forced to sit in silence or better said calm, it feels sometimes just not endurable.

I‘m aware that this might be the tension and anxiety, aka the flight response which is so overwhelming for me.

What can I do in such a case? Even after 2.5 years I constantly drop in the bad behaviour of the coming here or googling to read again and again that there is no way out but the big S. (Flight mode). After being exhausted, I prefer just to lay and try to sleep (Pretending to be dead).

I‘ve tried different medical helpers, nothing really helped me to get out of this vicious cycle.

I‘m aware that the only way to break the cycle is in the beginning, when I get nervous about my t and feel it so piercingly, that it makes me headache.
      Can anyone relate and tell me what to do or give me some courage?

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Jonstorm

Jonstorm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?anxiety ?dental work
      I've found this method helpful in the day. I am new to bothersome T and the nights are the hardest.
      At night it feels hard to do this method as firstly I have so much time to react i'd be doing so constantly but also you can't note down feelings on paper.
      I'm also interested to hear if people mask at night with this method. I'm torn whether masking just makes my T louder. Last night I tried no masking but instead tried meditating whilst focussed on my T sound. That provoked more calm about the sound and it quietened a lot for rest of the night. I'm cautious as focussing on the sound and doing this method seem opposite each other lol.
      Any thoughts from people who have done this with success regarding night time strategy?
      Thanks for any advice

16. Henry Orlando FL
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Jonstorm, I understand your thinking of this method is the opposite of meditating on your tinnitus sound. I would agree that is the case. Kevin Hogan in his program recommends music or a masking sound 24/7 including while sleeping. I used white noise for sleeping per his recommendation in the beginning. Kevin Hogan also recommended when your attention goes to the tinnitus sound refocus your attention on the masking sound 24/7. I followed that advice as well in the beginning. Now when I had my recent "relapse" per the post I wrote about above and read this string I changed to either writing down the hash mark to count and feeling at the time or when not really easy (like while driving a car) to write things down or when going to bed for sleep I did not write down the hash mark and feeling. I would just say "I am hearing my tinnitus and I am feeling XXXX now. I would indeed wake up in the night a couple of times and sure I would hear my tinnitus sounds. I would simply do the discipline verbally in my head (did not do it out loud as I would not want to wake my wife). I also used 200 mg of L-Theanine (buy it at any health food store) taken 30 minutes before bedtime which reduced my anxiety and lowered obsessive thinking. If I needed more L-Theanine in the middle of the night on occasion I would take another 200 mg but that did not happen often. Finally, after saying the words silently to myself if I hear the sounds at night I would focus my attention as well on the white noise sound per the recommendation of Kevin Hogan not focus on the tinnitus. Now I did read a book by Glenn Schweitzer titled Rewiring Tinnitus and one of the major approaches he recommends in his book he calls the Tinnitus Meditation Protocol. This process is indeed all about meditating by focusing on and listening to your tinnitus sounds in great detail for long periods of time. I did not pick that route and I have habituated to the sounds a second time using a Hogan approach with this "Back to Silence" process on this thread. If you want to know more on masking and what to do at night here is a link on the American Tinnitus Association website that might be helpful.

https://www.ata.org/managing-your-tinnitus/treatment-options/sound-therapies

Bottom line today: for sleep time for me it is L-Theanine if needed, white noise sound a bit below the level of my tinnitus sounds all night, use the Back to Silence process silently to myself and focus my attention on the white noise sound. This would cause me to fall asleep or get back to sleep in short order if awakened in the night (always at least awake once for a bathroom run he says with a smile).

Hope this is helpful!

• Like Like x 2
    17. Jonstorm

Jonstorm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?anxiety ?dental work
      @Henry Orlando FL
      Thanks for your input
      I found that crickets noise has been more effective last couple of nights. I often wake with an increase in T volume but focussing on the crickets does settle it back down again.

18. Henry Orlando FL
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Your welcome Jonstorm. I notice you mention "...with an increase in T volume..." I just wanted to underline that the "Back to Silence" method calls for not measuring the sound(s), not to monitor the T or focus on it, don't describe the sound(s) or compare the sound(s). I have had to watch out for my self-talk not to do those things. Not so much now though but I sure did when I started using the method and I recall when my T first arrived in 2011 my self-talk was a ton of that variety.

Here is a cut/paste from the thread "Introducing My New Book" on this site from Cheza about how to apply the Back to Silence method:

I follow a somewhat opposite approach, in that I don't deliberately listen to it. Instead, I do my best to follow the four "don'ts" of the Back to Silence method:
      1 - Don't measure it
      2 - Don't monitor it
      3 - Don't describe it
      4 - Don't compare it
      I truly believe people need to choose a method which resonates with their own attitudes and beliefs and lifestyle. That's why this forum is such a great resource because a lot of folks participate with their own viewpoints and experiences.

Cheza (Lisa Cole) wrote a book that is super and available on Amazon as an eBook paperback titled: Living With Tinnitus. It is very comprehensive, up to date info with tons of links that I have found in the marketplace to date. You might want to check that one out as well.

19. Jonstorm

Jonstorm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?anxiety ?dental work
      @Henry Orlando FL
      Henry you are right. In the last 24 hours I have slipped from the method that was proving so helpful.
      I think this was because I began a new worry about hyperacusis which was previously taking a backseat. Now Im worrying that each loud sound that gives me discomfort is affecting my T. I will refocus on the emotional responses.
      Thanks John

• Like Like x 1
    20. Henry Orlando FL
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Your welcome John. Indeed, I too have had the hyperacusis issue post T... to a degree even now. Then it is just a good idea for even people without T or H to go for prevention of them by doing what I do now. For me, I found it was mostly about anxiety or sort of a PTSD thing. My self-talk was fear of a sudden loud noise that lasted too long from an electronic device on an earbud that initially caused the first T so another loud noise was going to make the T worse. Now that in itself is sending me into a comparing paradigm thought wise. The place I need to "think" from is no matter how loud the T gets it is about where my attention goes and how I think about it not about the nature or quality of the sound(s). Comparing just is not helpful. For me, really the hyperacusis was coming from the T not really some sort of biological place if you will. Example: my wife of 30 years has always had much better hearing than I do and I have no hearing loss today. She is biologically wired better for picking up sounds way better than I am. Before my T began I never had any problem with loud sounds. After I had the T begin I had the H symptoms. What was my way of dealing with the H issue? Well here goes:

1. Other experts like Kevin Hogan said indeed H and T are linked. If you handle the T the H fades away.
      2. I looked up what was "damaging" sound levels and what was not damaging sound levels. Here is a credible place:
      http://dangerousdecibels.org/education/information-center/decibel-exposure-time-guidelines/
      3. I bought an inexpensive sound level meter from Radio Shack and you can get them on Amazon.com as well. I check all sorts of sounds around my everyday environment with the meter and made sure all were kept below 80 decibels. If I was going to do something that I knew was over 80 decibels I would put earplugs in for it. Another example is if a lightning storm came (Florida is the lightning capital of the USA particularly in the rainy season) I would put earplugs in as sometimes they strike close and very loud. Another example to this day if I go to the movies I wear earplugs as most of them are over 80 decibels most of the time and spike much higher at times. Last example... if I fly I always wear earplugs as well.
      4. If I encountered any loud sound anywhere without earplugs I do get a surge of anxiety so I remind myself that that sound was not damaging, don't check or compare the T and to take it easy. Developing new self-talk he says with a smile. If it throws me into hearing the T sound I just do the method...I hear my T and how I feel now (yes, usually anxiety) and move on.
      5. I went to a hearing professional who took molds of my ears and sent them off to have custom earplugs that reduced the sounds by 25 decibels (cost $200 but sure worth it). The foam ones you buy at a drug store reduce the sounds 32 decibels. The custom ones allow me to hear people speaking to me with a normal voice so I use that set in some quieter movies, the airplane and when lightning storms are around (almost daily in the rainy season) for example. The foam ones are when I know for sure there will be loud sounds and listening to people speak to me is not necessary.

Now having written all that I am no expert on H but this place has great stuff with a discussion board:

http://www.hyperacusis.net/

Hope this helps!

21. Jonstorm

Jonstorm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?anxiety ?dental work
      @Henry Orlando FL thanks for all your advice.
      I had been noticing the uplift in mood and reduced responses while doing the method but the poor night time sleeping has thrown me. This morning I'm a gibbering mess psychologically because I've been up all night struggling to mask ultra loud tinnitus. You can say all you want about just measuring emotions and not the T but you can't hide a 2/10 to 10/10 ramp up that occurred when you weren't even conscious lol. It just adds to the feeling of lack of control.
      Anyone else doing the method have such setbacks?

22. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      When I first examined the “Back to Silence” method I got nowhere with it.
      I simply did not believe it.
      I still think the title is misleading, by the way.
      But I have to admit that there is some virtue in it.

There is a tendency to wake up every morning, assuming you have been able to sleep at all, hear all this “Effing Shit” going on, and quite naturally think:
      - I ‘effing’ hate it,
      - I can’t stand it any longer,
      - I want to die,
      - This is ‘effing’ hell on earth,
      - For christ’ sake,
      - God help me,
      .......etc.....
      and go on thinking those thoughts, and reinforcing them all day long.
      The anger at this injustice is obviously justified, and extreme.

But I have to admit this.
      I have began to notice that, even though I hear my ‘shit’ 24/7, and yes, I hate it, there are times when I find myself thinking “well, it’s there but:

- I don’t seem to care so much,
      - I’m okay with it,
      - I’m not too bothered just now,
      - I feel okay at the moment....”

Now don’t get me wrong - I absolutely loath and detest Tinnitus - but there are definitely times when it seems to bother me less.
      At those times I am okay.

At those times I am abmitting to a better feeling, and perhaps a better outlook.

Have any other members experienced anything similar....?

• Like Like x 1
    23. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
      But I have to admit this.
      I have began to notice that, even though I hear my ‘shit’ 24/7, and yes, I hate it, there are times when I find myself thinking “well, it’s there but:

- I don’t seem to care so much,
      - I’m okay with it,
      - I’m not too bothered just now,
      - I feel okay at the moment....”

Now don’t get me wrong - I absolutely loath and detest Tinnitus - but there are definitely times when it seems to bother me less.
      At those times I am okay.

At those times I am abmitting to a better feeling, and perhaps a better outlook.

Have any other members experienced anything similar....?

I get exactly that @Jazzer.
      But as soon as I think "Oh my God did it go?" then my annoying head child re-appears as if to say Hi I'm still here !!. Its not over yet...
      Its the weirdest thing ever.
      BUT...somehow you just have to keep busy, happy healthy and trying to ignore the little shit !
      I actually used to think that a worse torture would be hard to imagine.
      I think its unpredictability and persistent nature with no way of altering it is what bothers people so much.
      I hope you are having as quiet a day as possible today Jazzer...

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    24. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July/August 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Could you explain what you mean by that?

25. Jonstorm

Jonstorm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?anxiety ?dental work
      I think he is saying most people's H is related to anxiety about their T which does seem to fit my symptoms and is noted in the literature also. So if u manage to reduce your T anxiety then the hyperacusis fades

26. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July/August 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Thanks for explaining, wished it was that simple in my case.

27. Jonstorm

Jonstorm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?anxiety ?dental work
      I'm just trying to focus on doing the method in the day time and that if I succeed with it that my night time unconscious brain will figure it out too

28. Henry Orlando FL
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Autumnly.

Yes, Jonstorm that is exactly what I mean.

In looking at what Kelvin and Jazzer were talking about above I mostly got over the frustration, anger, hate and need to control the T sounds from a psychological perspective by when my self-talk was generating those feelings I reminded myself of what is called the Serenity Prayer as follows:

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
      Courage to change the things I can,
      And wisdom to know the difference.

You can use it with or without the "God" part if desired. It is not about religion. I really don't say the whole thing to myself I just remind myself of it by saying to myself (thus creating a new self-talk habit) "it is serenity prayer time" to help calm me down. I also think the meditation I do and self-hypnosis I have done helped me to get into acceptance of "what is so" if you will. The reality is just like I am short, bald and aging (71 now) I am a person with T now so I need to get into acceptance that is so and focus on acceptance of that fact. Just like many things in life that I can't change I have to learn strategies/tactics to mitigate what I or most people would experience as a negative situation, get into acceptance and get on with living as best I can with the hand I was dealt. Many if not most feelings come from thoughts. You can change/control your thoughts so you can change/control your feelings is the theory. It is not always easy and usually does not happen fast to change self-talk that drives feelings and it can be done if one is persistent and consistent has been my experience. I first learned about how self-talk thinking drives feelings in a book published back in the 1970s by Albert Ellis titled "A Guide to Rational Living" which is still available today on Amazon.com. Dr. Ellis was one of the founders of what is called cognitive psychology which is the dominant approach to psychotherapy today.

Hope this is helpful.

29. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Hi Henry - I am reluctant to mention something fairly obvious, but have you tried the
      ‘self hypnosis ‘deeper’ suggestion?

30. Henry Orlando FL
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The self-hypnosis I have been using is from a program created by Kevin Hogan (he has severe T and has a psychology doctorate degree) see here:

http://store.kevinhogan.com/tinnitusreductionprogramwithbook.aspx

I bought his program back in 2011 when I first got T and it includes a series of self-hypnosis CDs that one uses over time to impact the T and H. When I had my recent "relapse" shall we say I started using them again for a while but not every day for months like I did back in 2011. So I am not familiar with a lot of other approaches to self-hypnosis. I can say that Hogan's approach to hypnosis is very much an Ericksonian approach (indirect) see here

https://britishhypnosisresearch.com/about-ericksonian-hypnotherapy/

as opposed to a more classical (direct) approach to hypnosis. I am open to other approaches having once back in the 1980s used self-hypnosis tapes created by Dick Sutphen who you can find here:https://www.dicksutphenschool.com/
      What I can say is Hogan's program worked for me taking me to habituation in 2011 before I knew about the Back to Silence approach which I can say really was the key in getting me back quickly to habituation this time as well as adding a dimension to my approach to T that I did not have from all I did in the past to deal with T.

Hope this hits the spot for you. Maybe more than you wanted to know he says with a smile.

• Like Like x 1