Back to Silence

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by I who love music, Dec 7, 2014.

1. dafooz

dafooz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly amitriptyline, possibly TMJ
      I have been finding Back to Silence useful during the day but am having trouble at night when going to bed.

2. Henry Orlando FL
      Balanced

Henry Orlando FL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud sound via earbuds from a digital device.
      Many people have a white noise machine, or and electronic version, that they use for sleeping. I presume you are using one of them. If not, I would suggest you begin. I would also suggest you focus your attention on the sound of the white noise machine when you go to bed to sleep. If your mind wonders from the white noise sound, just note the feeling (don't bother to write it down) and go back to focusing on the white noise sound. Better still is to have the white noise on of course and then when you get into bed, begin to focus your attention on your breathing. As you breathe in, think to yourself "calm" and as you breath out think "relax". You keep doing that until you probably do just slip into sleep.

I hope this is useful.

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    3. ZFire
      Pacman

ZFire Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 (mild) & 04/2021 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity (2012) Unknown-likely noise induce (2021)
      One of the best pieces of advice I’ve ever received here was NOT to mask the tinnitus, but to dedicate countless hours intentionally and actively listening to the tinnitus, especially when one is sleeping. This helped expedite the habituation process for me personally.

I covered my head and ears with pillows, so tinnitus would be the only thing I hear. Over time, my brain grew disinterested and eventually became accustomed to the sound. I think there’s something about this method that helped me adapt more quickly. It is worth trying if you’re a newcomer.

I can’t say that I’m fond of the idea of masking one’s tinnitus, especially while sleeping. I have trouble masking my tinnitus to begin with. But ultimately, I feel like trying to mask it is signaling to your brain that it is a threat and that you’re trying to run away from it. IMO. It is better to get acclimated to it as best as possible. It’s a form of acceptance in a way.

But to each their own. Everyone’s different on how they manage this condition.

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. Lurius
      Sad

Lurius Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Valsalva maneuver
      I couldn't agree more. I also think that sleeping with a fan on every single night for 2 years helped a lot.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Henry Orlando FL
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I would agree with the each their own and different strokes for different folks aspect.

What you are talking about with the "becoming accustomed to the sound" aspect is one I use. I found out about the approach of Glenn Schweitzer via his book Rewiring Tinnitus. He has a website with some free resources and does offer coaching if needed. I did not need it as the book was enough. I find that approach worked well for me and seems very compatible with the Back to Silence method. I still use both today and I am very much habituated.

Nothing in the Back to Silence method requires one to mask or to stop listening to the sound(s) one has. Sort of just "let it be" if you will and don't be monitoring it all the time... certainly the method is into acceptance. Here is my boil down on how the model is applied in case it is useful to others:

The "Back to Silence" method calls for not measuring the sound(s), not to monitor the tinnitus sound(s) or focus on it, do not describe the sound(s) or compare the sound(s). Another way to think about it is to follow the four "don’ts" of the Back to Silence method:
      1. Don't measure it.
      2. Don't monitor it.
      3. Don't describe it.
      4. Don't compare it.
      Do the following:
      1. STOP talking about tinnitus, measuring it, comparing it, describing it, and thinking about it.
      2. When you hear the sound(s), tell yourself, "I hear it, I feel ..." (insert your true emotion)
      3. Make a note of this incidence (just put a hash mark for instance and add them up daily... the total will go down over time) and each emotional response in a word or two on paper is best, review your paper weekly to see the change in your responses.
      Once you get to less than 5 or 10 incidences per day, you can stop writing them down and only do it in your head since you do not have to speak it aloud to get the result. If you don’t want to write it down, OK, give it a try just verbally and see how it goes. If you do not notice a decrease in incidences over time, then begin to write them down to keep a count even if it is only a hash mark to keep the count.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Francesco

Francesco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I wanted to give this a real try, starting today, and I immediately failed applying rule one.

Given my 24/7 tinnitus, how can I not think about it? I put a check mark, express out loud how I feel and keep watching TV. Then my tinnitus is still (well obviously) there. How do I drive my attention away? I soon find myself thinking about all sort of tinnitus related things, like therapies, doctors, exams, problems and so forth.

TV is not enough I guess, I need something that catches all my attention, mind and body, like the gym.

Any takes/suggestions on this?

7. Jammer

Jammer Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I'm on my cell scrolling 16 hours a day. Really the only thing that takes my mind off the tinnitus. I'm retired BTW.

8. MindOverMatter

MindOverMatter Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (possibly stress related, and later sound induced)
      You need to indulge yourself with something that gives you joy and brings mindfulness to your head.

Turning things around takes a lot of time. We are talking months and possibly years. It all depends upon many factors...

• Like Like x 2
    9. Francesco

Francesco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Considering I have an anxiety disorder, I doubt something like that exists for me right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. MindOverMatter

MindOverMatter Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (possibly stress related, and later sound induced)
      Unfortunately, there is nothing easy about bothersome tinnitus @Francesco. There are no quick fixes.

Dealing with your anxiety disorder would be the first step here. This will help you with moving forward with tinnitus.

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. Henry Orlando FL
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The "don't monitor it" part means for one to keep listening to it constantly to keep track of what it sounds like and using every descriptive word one can come up with to describe it that many people do. They also hop online and have posts about it and comment on others who are doing the same. It becomes an obsession. I figure most people have 24/7 tinnitus, thus that is not an obstacle to getting to habituation, as many have with this method. One is not driving their attention away from the tinnitus with the Back to Silence method. One is not trying to not think about it. One merely notes when the attention moves to it and how one feels when it does. If you want to start with only noting it with your feeling every five minutes or so, then do that. Keep track of that number and notice the statistics daily or weekly. Indeed this method is unlikely to get someone to habituation quickly. It is a long-term project.
      OK, so you do have a larger challenge than most with an anxiety disorder, I will grant you that. Consider this aspect as it still applies to some degree, even in your situation.

“Whether you think you can or you think you can’t, you’re right.” —Henry Ford

This quote expresses the idea that our mindset and beliefs are powerful forces that shape our reality. Some key points about its meaning:

- It speaks to the concept of self-fulfilling prophecy - when we believe something strongly enough, we turn that belief into truth through our actions and behavior.

- Our mindset and self-talk affect our attitudes, which then influence our abilities and outcomes. Thinking positively enhances potential, while negative thinking diminishes it.

- Believing you can't do something establishes limitations and prevents you from putting in maximum effort required to succeed. But believing you can liberates your potential.

- This quote emphasizes the need to cultivate a growth mindset - the belief abilities can be developed through effort - rather than a fixed mindset where skills are set.

- "Whether you think you can or think you can't" highlights the power of perspective in what we achieve. Our thoughts shape our reality.

- Ultimately, we have a choice in how we view challenges. Adopting self-empowering beliefs allows us to thrive and turn "I can't" into "I can."

In summary, this quote speaks to the self-fulfilling power of beliefs, and underscores the importance of cultivating a mindset of positive potential rather than self-limitation. Our thoughts inform our destiny.

• Agree Agree x 2
    12. IYIiKe

IYIiKe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possible Ototoxic Reaction to Sertraline and Hydroxyzine
      I'm going to give this a shot.

I am concerned on how often I should mark it. I have generally loud tinnitus, and without masking it is ever-present. Do I only mark it when I hear it, or when I attempt to measure it? Because I hear it constantly over virtually everything.

13. Henry Orlando FL
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I figure a lot of people started just like you write... hearing it all the time. There is no rigid "rule" if you will. It would be fine to mark it only when the brain causes you to attempt to measure it and see how that works for you. Does it reduce the number of times the brain attempts to measure it? Well, that would tell you if that is a good approach, I figure. You might just record, say, every 15 minutes if you really never not hear your tinnitus. See what that does, I would say. Hope this hits the spot for you.

14. HighleyTall
      In pain

HighleyTall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      monitor noise trauma at gig
      How does this work when your tinnitus is no longer just a sound but has turned into pain? Continuously burning ears, tingling all over skull and face, headaches...

15. Henry Orlando FL
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sorry to read of your troubles. I trust you have seen an ENT or Neurologist maybe for this level of troubles. I don't think the Back to Silence method would impact what you are experiencing.