Back to Silence

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by I who love music, Dec 7, 2014.

1. SusyS
      Fine

SusyS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Step1 is indeed the hardest, but that is the absolute essential. I also have a note on whether one should mark on paper or keep count in the brain. I initially thought that marking on paper would keep reminding me of T, but I now realize that trying to keep account of things in one's brain is worse, because you have to pay more attention. Once you put in on paper, you can forget and continue. My anxiety has dropped way down already. I'm sure I'll forget about this thing for the most part of the day soon, as I once had earlier this year. Thanks so much again for showing us a concrete way out. A simple and concrete way is what all beginners need.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Making notes on paper gives you the opportunity to look back, week by week and SEE your responses fading. It's a good kick in the butt. Yup, if you read back in my posts, I noticed the anxiety going away first. The day may come when your first response happens after lunch, or supper. Those were glorious days. The paper is important I think.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I put cotton in my ear if H fires up. It usually only takes a day to go away. My H is triggered by VERY high sounds, too much sugar, or snapping on my headphone-like ear protectors too quick which may shoot some air onto my eardrum.

• Like Like x 2
    4. SusyS
      Fine

SusyS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I know! I remember it from my earlier habituation. It was an amazing feeling to realize that I didn't even remember the thing the whole day. I didn't now about your method then, but my personal success was also due to your step1. I strictly forbade myself to put my fingers in my ears and listen to the damn thing. I know well I'm gonna get there soon. Thanks a million once more.

5. RCP1
      Ape-like

RCP1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      @I who love music

Hello Terry - Looks like a great method. Thanks for still being around and helping people out. You are a good man.

I just have 2 questions

Mine fluctuates up and down constantly due to surrounding noise - I used to wear a plug contantly when outside the house but it looks like with this method you cant really plug and unplug as this will focus your attentioin on it.

My main question is protection - you and I need to protect our ears - I recently got caught out t a loud event and the T stepped up and bit for me - With this method how do you remember to protect your ears? Is it easy to forget as you arent thinking about the T and then bam it can go up. I think I remember you saying this happened with a saw one time.

Cheers Terry - Top man.

I started the technique today and have already noticed results - However as I work in a Capital City and have to constantly plug and unplug all day depending on where I am I just wondered if you had some advice.

Many thanks

R

• Good Question Good Question x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Hey R,
      Protecting my ears is something I do by habit since I've been doing it since 75.
      Here's something you may find interesting - Since I discovered this method, I find that many loud sounds I used to think were dangerous to me are not. Now I play the radio loud in the car, run most power tools without ear protection, and don't worry about every thump or bang in my environment.
      I'm going to break Rule One just for a moment and tell you that my T has not changed, it's still in both ears, the left lower and louder than the right, and there are different frequencies. With that said, I don't hear it anymore unless I talk about it.
      Maybe in time you'll not feel the need to plug and unplug so often. I hope so, and I wish you continued success.

• Like Like x 3
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      You're welcome. I'm so glad for your improvement.
      You're among the group of folks who understand that this takes time, not a long time, but it takes some time. And it gets easier and better over time. Like I said, as I understand it, you are doing this method with the understanding that you are recognizing intrusive tinnitus, reacting in a new way, and recording responses. You're on your way. Keep in touch.
      Terry

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Hey folks,

To make the method even easier, try this....
      there are three steps, right?
      one.. don't talk, think about, or describe your T.
      two.. when you feel you have to respond to it, say "I hear it, I feel ..........."
      three.. with a pencil, record the responses.

Sometimes, maybe, that's hard to remember.
      So try this
      THE THREE R's
      one.. Reject
      two.. Respond
      three.. Record

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Wow. Horns are the worst.
      I would think that using a phone's notepad would be beneficial too. Good idea.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Trusty Mutsi
      Relaxed

Trusty Mutsi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection
      Thanks so much for this. Quick question: Do you just make a mark, or also write down the emotion?

Also, how often do I mark it down if I'm constantly hearing it? I don't think I could literally keep writing it every time I notice it, or I'd lose my job :(

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
      • Like Like x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I think writing down the emotion, even part of the time helps you see how the number of responses AND the emotions that accompany them change over time, and that is empowering. The empowerment will excite you and keep you going. You have to keep going until you don't respond anymore. It's important to not give up. Like many people, you wonder how or when to record your responses when you hear T all the time. Like you, I heard T all the time so I decided to make pencil marks when the T was most intrusive, after all, I can't sit and make pencil marks all day. To my surprise, just saying step two to myself started to work. It wasn't long before a half a day would go by before I noticed the T. BUT...... a strange thing happened in those early days of doing the method. After not hearing T for, say, the first six hours of a given day, something would kick in and I would ask myself, "What does the T sound like today?" Of course, at that point I would hear my T. This told me something. That's why step one is so important.

• Like Like x 1
    12. Trusty Mutsi
      Relaxed

Trusty Mutsi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection
      Thanks, that helps a lot.

I've been trying this for about 3 days now, and I swear it seems to be stressing me out and thinking about it more than helping. Is that normal?

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I don't know what "normal" is, I didn't invent this.
      BUT I did notice in your post you mentioned being stressed and thinking about it more. The big question is, after three days, are your responses changing when you look at your paper?
      And congratulations on Step One, you didn't mention volume, frequency, etc...

• Like Like x 2
    14. Phil-O

Phil-O Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Empowerment as @I who love music says is the key, you feel that the bully Tinnitus is not winning, and not driving your bus. Keep going Best Wishes Phil

• Like Like x 1
    15. abbynormal
      Question it

abbynormal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Yes, I have, and it does seem to have a lot to do with "getting" calmed down. I don't mean with drugs, or anything like that, but sometimes I think exploding about it, and crying, and cussing too (I live alone thank goodness, no pets thank goodness too), I almost get more calm, and relaxed. It's a horrible thing to have, but all the fancy schooling in the world that these doctors, AND, scientists get can't figure it out or cure it.

The best luck I've had has been some supplements, and I've gotten into reading about Essential Oils for medicinal help. Now I ordered I guess what you would call a plant based medicine called Passion flower.

My heart goes out to every person that deals with any form of tinnitus. I read somewhere today the 50 Million Americans have it. And that's not counting those suffering in other countries. I do have hope though, no matter how bad it gets, I always come back to hope and carry on with life.

• Hug Hug x 2
    16. Jonstorm

Jonstorm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?anxiety ?dental work
      Hi all further to my original posts a few months back I was hoping for some advice. I have been doing BTS method and have had some very good spells. My issue is it doesn't take much to derail me completely.

December was my best month yet. I wasn't writing my responses any more as it didn't seem necessary as they didn't feel frequent I tended to just hear the T then get on with things and forget again. I still had some days with generalised anxiety but not even necessarily about T. My son was born 13th Dec and obviously that may have helped distract me from T also.
      Throughout my 6 months since onset I keep having setbacks and the one this week felt like one of the worse as I went from sleeping like a baby with minimal responses back up to anxiety riddled poor sleep and my T very intrusive again. This seemed to start with one thought .. a worry that my babies screaming might worsen my T. He does trigger H but only to a mild degree. Sometimes my T can be louder in night but it hasn't been bothering me. This thought however triggered a cascade of panic. I don't habitually compare loudness as is the method but sometimes the thought arises particularly in the middle of the night that you can't control. Anyway I'm hoping someone can reassure me perhaps that they experienced the same using this method and still eventually achieved habituation. I was doing really well but now im doubting everything. Damn these crazy brains of ours lol

• Hug Hug x 3
    17. Phil-O

Phil-O Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      @Jonstorm That's the nature of this, ups and down. Focus on the ups where responses were reduced. Stress and panic seem to be a catalyst and T then hijacks your thoughts again. Congratulations on the birth of your son. Keep BTS ing you're doing well. Best wishes Phil

• Like Like x 1
    18. Jonstorm

Jonstorm Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?anxiety ?dental work
      @Phil-O Thanks phil, sometimes you just need to hear you are on the right track. Might crack the notepad out since I'm reacting a lot more again until it settles back down. Never really sure how much the notepad mattered to be honest but hey..

• Like Like x 2
    19. abbynormal
      Question it

abbynormal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I'm with Phil, you are doing great and congrats on your baby boy:)

Do use "sounds" to help during those spikes? I mean like the little app I have on my phone for example. They can be adjusted so they match the tinnitus volume, and draw my attention to that "way more pleasant sound". I do as much as I can to relax over things/stress, and one that I thought I'd NEVER do, is drink herbal (decaf teas). My fave is Ginger, and I only use honey or (no gagging now) Blackstrap Molasses, just a tsp. I am learning moderation;)

I am used to my tinnitus when it is the normal volume (for me it's a normal volume) but when it spikes, it's a bit frightening for me, but I just turn the app to match the spike volume. I take hot baths with essential oils like Frankincense, and peppermint. Peppermint is my fave so far. I bought a little diffuser, 10 bucks, and I can put a couple of drops of oils in it and it runs a long time during sleeping hours (going on 9 hours right now as some leftover from last night). It's really calming for me. I NEVER thought I'd be doing something as, hmm???, exotic as EOs, LOL! No wonder all those Egyptians were always bathing in those old movies:rolleyes:

• Hug Hug x 1