Baclofen for Benzo-Induced Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, Sep 18, 2016.

1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      From what I understand, L-Baclofen would be best to try for tinnitus but that is not on the market (well except for research purposes). This is probably another wrong theory but I figured I would put it out there. Is it possible that benzo induced tinnitus is due to GABAa receptor problems? What if we used a drug that worked on GABAb receptors instead such as Baclofen? I know it works differently so it might not work but figured I would put it out there and see if anyone had any experience with it. Here is a video on GABA receptors:

2-Minute Neuroscience: GABA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baclofen

On Baclofen, but more on L-Baclofen:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3297816/

I have no doubt that Baclofen would come with its own withdrawal symptoms but what if the GABAa receptors could somehow get better while using Baclofen and withdrawing from a Benzo? I have no freaking clue about this but figured I would ask you all if you knew anything or had any experience with Baclofen for Benzo induced tinnitus only.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      The regular baclofen sold at pharmacies is quite useless for t, maybe it will make you sleepy if you take a gigantic dose and act as a muscle relaxant. Some doctors prescribe it for vertigo, i don't really know why.
      If you manage to get your hands on L-Baclofen, maybe you can share your results for t.

3. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've been curious about this but have never seen l-bac available anywhere besides expensive, dubious and legally questionable custom synthesis shops.

I suspect that if it worked the risk profile would be similar to benzos.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Have you ever tried it? If so was it for benzo induced tinnitus?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Found this on google...I guess it is good news/bad news...good news is the T was getting lower and lower, bad news is it looks like the taper off baclofen can be pretty bad.

7. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      I tried the regular baclofen (at large doses) with unimpressive and expected results. No change on the t front.
      I don't know why my tinnitus started. It wasn't sound or drug related.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      You know, I am thinking that instead of GABA receptors, it might be better to try to lower glutamate. Its possible that the glutamate in our bodies got increased from too much GABA type drugs. I have been helped some by a drug that lowers glutamate but was made worse by a drug that works on GABA!

Check this out. VERY INTERESTING:

Alcohol Effects and Neurotransmitters: The...