Bad Days

Discussion in 'Support' started by Natalie Roberts, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      As many of you know I tend to have a few low volume T days followed by a louder day where the T can be heard over most everything. It's a super annoying, high pitched electrical static sound that drives me crazy.. Yesterday was a bad day after 2 good days and it was really hard to cope. I had a lot of anxiety throughout the day. I was able to control my anxiety for the most part with breathing techniques but it was difficult. I also found myself angry and frustrated to be having to deal with this. It's been 8 or 9 weeks now and most weeks I can manage okay but yesterday just really kicked my butt. I tried to kick the negativity and get some rest and luckily was able to sleep okay..

Hoping today will be better but so far, it's still there pretty high pitched although I'm trying to ignore it. Just wanted to vent as my emotions were getting the best of me and I was having a hard time staying positive.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      All I can say is that during pregnancy the blood circulation in the head (and I suppose in the other parts of the body) changes tremendously. (I will tell you in a PM, when i will feel better, how do i know that). Maybe your T is from changed blood circulation in the head, so near the ear, and it will resolve after you deliver. That is my bet.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I really, really hope that is the case.. I have about 4 more weeks to go give or take and I know I can make it through this, the bad days are just really difficult to control and my emotions often get the best of me despite my best intentions at staying positive. The ENT told me it could be an immediate change after delivery or more gradual downward progression or that if it was hormone related it could be there until I stop breastfeeding. There is just so many unknowns which make it difficult to cope sometimes..

4. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I don't know about others, but I was a complete mess during pregnancy, and I didn't have T then. I have not met an emotionally stable pregnant woman yet.
      And, yes, the big hormonal changes can be the reason too.
      I would agree more with your desperation if your T came completely out of the blue, or from a bad acoustic trauma or loud noise exposure, but yours came during such normal big changes in your body, that are reversible, so chances for your T to resolve or improve significantly after delivery/breastfeeding are kinda huge. Just wait with hope.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Haha. Right? What's an emotionally stable pregnant woman? :/ You're right.. it did come on during a period of huge change (blood pressure, hormonal, emotional and physical) in my life. I should focus more on that and that I have a higher chance of it resolving once my body returns to somewhat normal conditions.. Thank you. Sometimes I lose track of things like that and get caught in the loop of "forever" and it scares me.. Thats why I need this group to help bring me back.. Thank you so much.

6. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      An oxymoron, a contradiction in terms, that's what it is.

If my post helped you, you are very welcome, mommy.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      "Will the baby will be OK? "
      "Will the baby not have birth defects?"
      "Will i have a smooth delivery (another oxymoron)?"
      Etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.
      I am giving you only a few examples of thoughts that don't let a pregnant woman have peace.

In conclusion: a pregnant woman who claims she is emotionally stable and "sure of those uncertain things", is either a liar, or a completely indiferent creature.
      You can surely add anxiety and stress to the possible causes of your T.

"Why I didn't I get T during my previous pregnancies?" you may ask.
      "The straw that broke the camel's back", I would answer.
      To have a baby while having another two kids to take care for, not such an easy task.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Here, you have the proof that the cause of your T is something that changes. If the cause of your T wouldn't be changeable, the volume of T wouldn't change. So you must look for the cause of your T among the things that change during these days. An impossible task, as so many variables change (hormone levels, stress, blood pressure, etc)
      If the factor that influences your T can change for the better (diminishes T), why not hope that it can vary up to a complete resolution of its effect? Just wait with hope.

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I agree with you especially about the stress causing or contributing to this. Before the T started I was suffering terrible anxiety and stress because I had undiganosed chest pain that would radiate down my arm as well as abnormal heart rate and beat. I went to the cardiologist 2 times, the er 3 times and was concerned about things like blood clots etc. They never diagnosed the chest pain and after 12 weeks it kind of just faded away, right after my tinnitus started and I started focusing on that instead of the chest pain. My anxiety was terrible for several months and my mother also passed away somewhat unexpectedly in january of this year. This pregnancy was unplanned. I just feel like with all my emotions/anxiety and stressors this year I have set my body up for this tinnitus..

Right now, its so high pitched like a dog whistle and is even reacting to my voice .. :(

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Quite impossible :(. I haven't really found anything other then stress seems to make it louder. I try to avoid sugary and overly salty foods as well as no caffeine. In the morning its always louder and seems to taper mid day then get louder in the evenings again when I am around the TV (seems reactive in nature). I haven't been monitoring my blood pressure anymore but do have a home cuff I could try to see if I notice a difference.. I will try waiting with hope as you say, as that is basically all we can do.. :) My OBGYN really knows nothing about this with pregnancy but the ENT as well as another specalist I saw mentioned pregnancy as a cause so my money is on a combination of pregnancy and stress as the cause.. I just want to feel better and enjoy my pregnancy.

I haven't really said this to anyone else other then my partner but I am even having a hard time connecting with the baby because of all the stress my body has been under and how miserable I have felt almost this entire time. Starting off with anxiety, chest pain/tachycardia and now tinnitus. I've been afraid for my life several times during this pregnancy and it just wears on a person emotionally and physically. I have been to dr after dr with no answers except.. "its probably a combination of stress/anxiety and other unknown factors". I feel terrible that I'm not more excited but my mind is so preoccupied with everything else, its hard to forsee the future in a positive light all the time. I KNOW I will love my baby, I just am having a hard time connecting emotionally now because of everything else. :( and I feel guilty saying that. I try my best to maintain positivity but I do falter. Today is one of those days and I feel this is a safe place to voice my feelings.. :bawling:

11. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      It may be louder in the morning either because during the night the blood accumulated even more in the head, or because when you open your eyes after a break during the sleep you are suddenly hit with the whole stress of your life and only after a while you manage to adapt to it somehow.

• Like Like x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe.. I also read a lot of people suffer from higher tinnitus in the morning because your brain seeks it out as it is checking all other systems in your body like your heart beat, breathing etc.. Who knows. I'm just feeling kind of down on myself today and emotional (pregnancy hormones coupled with Tinnitus=emotional disaster). Thanks for your words of encouragement!

13. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I read this theory too but this is merely a theory and nothing more, not founded on anything, a theory that I happen to hate as it is not true, for it is not consistent with the numerous cases of spontaneous healing. I read so many stories of people that got healed after they stopped hoping and when they least expected.
      According to this theory the second morning after getting T the sound was louder because the brain was allegedly so used to T after only one day that it quickly included T on the "morning check list", in the same line with breathing and heart rate, that the body does since the breathing system and circulation system were formed in the womb. I personally do not buy this pathetic BS.

T is not an understood phenomenon, so all kind of crooks think it's their time to step forward to present their personal "knowledge" about T.

I had a terrible T day today too and I know how hard it is, but unfortunately I have no big changes to hope for in January, like you do.

After things will settle I believe the joy and the charm of the third child will do miracles for your health. Even in the worst case scenario, that your T will remain permanent, which I don't believe, the laughter and voices of your kids will be the best masking for your T. You know, there are people without kids or family that consider that the silence of their solitude is the worst thing in the world and who would change places with you in no time.
      If you could make a trade and give your kids for good to obtain in return your lost silence back, would you do it? I so doubt.

• Like Like x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Of course not. I wouldn't trade them for anything and would gladly give my life if I had to for theirs. I know that I am very lucky and feel very grateful to have been given the wonderful blessing of children and understand many don't have children when they wish they could.

I am grateful for a lot in my life and know that I am very lucky in a lot of aspects. I try so hard to be positive most days but like I said yesterday was just a hard day for me.. Today is better so far. Either way I know I'll be okay because I would never leave my kids alone so I have to find a way to deal with it.

Thank you for your positivity and helping me out perspective on this again. That's why I value this group. :)

What caused your T, Dana do you know?