Bad Week (Tinnitus Seems to Be Reacting to Aspirin)

Discussion in 'Support' started by Natalie Roberts, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      After being diagnosed with FMD (Fibromuscular dysplasia) a few weeks ago, I have finally started taking my prescribed aspirin 81mg/day (started a week and a half ago) to prevent strokes and clots and my tinnitus seems to be reacting to the aspirin. Whereas my tinnitus was fairly low volume prior to starting the aspirin because I had habituated to it, the aspirin seems to have bumped the volume up. It's not louder than my tinnitus has ever been but on the high end of the scale and has been for over a week with the exception of a day or so (which is why I'm not positive it is in fact the aspirin).

This all has me feeling very overwhelmed and somewhat depressed. I feel like I am starting all over against dealing with this. Everyday I wake up and it's still loud and I feel defeated. I have already reached out to my Dr and requested and alternative to aspirin but haven't heard back yet. It's just a lot to take in and I could use some support.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Zenyatta
      Depressed

Zenyatta Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/2017(spike)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Ear-tooth infection
      I'm sorry you have to deal with that. I'm sure there's some other medication you can get that doesn't spike your T. Hang in there!

3. .bill

.bill Member

Tinnitus Since:
      december2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      from ear infection
      I can tell you for sure aspirin will set off your tinnitus. Especially over the counter aspirin. Dr. prescribed aspirin is a thinner to keep the blood thin to prevent stroke and clotting. Over the counter is for pain relief. Tell your dr. you want a prescribed aspirin.

4. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It's all the same acetylsalicylic acid. Same active ingredient.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Creative Creative x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It is prescribed low dose 81mg aspirin. I had to get it from the pharmacy. :/ all my research suggested aspirin normally doesn't affect T unless given in high doses over 325mg/day though.

6. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      Could be psychological but the result is the same. When I missed my citalopram doses I had a 3 week spike and it was definitely a spike it just me focusing on it..

• Like Like x 1
    7. .bill

.bill Member

Tinnitus Since:
      december2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      from ear infection
      Well my research on aspirin and from my experience with aspirin my t when off the scale for a week took that long to rid it out of my system

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This is what I was wondering was happening. Because I was focusing on it to see if it was worsening and then in turn it actually appeared to be much louder. So with that In mind I have continued taking it and trying to putting it out of my mind..

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What dose were you on again?

10. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      I find that seems to happen to me often. Kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy: if I worry that it will be worse, it will in fact be worse.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Agreed with you 100%.. I've been trying to get it in my head that the chances of it worsening my t at such a low dose is really not common. I spoke to my neurologist before I even took it and he assured me of this. The higher doses;yes, but not at 81mg.. so.. ugh. I'm not sure what to do. The other option is plavix which is also ototoxic but not increases T, instead messes with your inner ear and causes dizziness. So which is worse right? :/